Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,140 times

Advertisements

Hi Friends,

I'm considering leaving Washington, DC for a slower pace life in Raleigh. I'm not quite ready to drastically slow down - 100 to 0 - however I would like to find a balanced neighborhood that has a city feel with NC delight.

Any suggestions?

Looking for the following in a downtown Raleigh neighborhood:

Walking distance to robust social scene (cafes, bars, art studios, etc)
Historic houses with character
Ripe for real estate investment
Mix of commercial and residential living
Young, hip, developing areas

I don't mind being a trail blazer or pioneer for developing neighborhoods.

Are there parts of downtown Raleigh that fit these criteria? The more specific the better. Thanks!!!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-23-2010 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: Fixed the weird codes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 12:40 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,756,587 times
There are parts of Raleigh that would fit portions of the description you give, but all in all, they'd be very specific areas and probably not fit each and every criterion on your list. Charlotte is more of a "mini-Metropolitan" area than Raleigh is. I'd say DC > Atlanta > Charlotte > Raleigh in terms of "Stepdown", within the Southeast.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:40 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,880,256 times
What price range are you looking for?

Old 02-23-2010, 12:47 PM

3 posts, read 4,140 times
Price range is unlimited, but i'm more interested in location and property that will hold value (right in the middle of the city center...not commercial) and close proximity to downtown attractions. Any suggestions for specific neighborhoods, streets, etc?

I'm also interested in being close to a park (maybe Moore Square?). Thoughts?

Old 02-23-2010, 12:56 PM

355 posts, read 956,225 times
Moore Square is just that. A square. It happens to be green, but I wouldn't call it a park. Although, there are some plans to spruce it up a bit in the future. I think a quick trip down here will help answer a lot of your questions. Once you see it, things make a lot more sense. As for areas that might fit the bill for you, you could look around Oakwood and Boylan Heights. Those areas have a lot of potential and are somewhat close to the things your looking for in downtown Raleigh. The downtown has a lot of potential, but it's an order of magnitude different from DC. It probably compares more with Bethesda than DC.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:46 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,060,915 times
Sounds like you would like the Oakwood neighborhood, maybe. But it's already been discovered. There are always houses that need rehabbing, though.

You do need a car to live a full life in Raleigh.

Historic Oakwood - Raleigh, North Carolina- links

In Google Images, google "Raleigh and Oakwood" to see pics of the neighborhood.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:07 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,391,113 times
There are a couple of new high rise condo buildings in Glenwood South area. Great walkable neighborhood, many restaurants, clubs, shops etc. One is called 222 Glenwood, the other West (on W. North St). I found West a bit more upscale - doorman, lovely rooftop pool, gym etc. Definitely worth checking out.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:44 PM

133 posts, read 392,743 times
Oakwood. That's the neighborhood for you.
FYI: Moore square unfortunately has a lot of homeless.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:45 PM

207 posts, read 1,086,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
There are parts of Raleigh that would fit portions of the description you give, but all in all, they'd be very specific areas and probably not fit each and every criterion on your list. Charlotte is more of a "mini-Metropolitan" area than Raleigh is. I'd say DC > Atlanta > Charlotte > Raleigh in terms of "Stepdown", within the Southeast.
I agree. If you rate DC at 100 then Atlanta would be at 75, Charlotte at 50 and Raleigh about 25 in comparison. I don't feel Raleigh can be considered to be a major metropolitan area.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:11 AM

171 posts, read 429,183 times
Oakwood is largely a fully realized neighborhood, but good to check out as an example of what a neighborhood looks like in Raleigh that has "made it."

You should check out the neighborhood known as the East Gateway. E. Hargett street between Bloodworth and Tarboro has been doing really well and property values have shot up drastically. However, one block south on Martin it's an entirely different world! It's probably the most walkable neighborhood that hasn't shot up yet.

East of Oakwood around Cooke St. and Seawell is known as Oakwood Fringe. It's a younger neighborhood than Oakwood, and only recently became desirable. Active and fun neighborhood. Around the Oakwood Dog park is less walkable and a bit further out, but that area, known as Capitol Heights has starting seeing renovation.

That success is slowly moving east. Idlewild is a current barrier, and the future of which is an interesting discussion. Past Idlewild is College Park, there is a thread on that neighborhood.

South of downtown, but north of MLK near Shaw University is the northern tip of a neighborhood called South Park. North of MLK has been doing well because it's walking distance to DT, but few, if any, have ventured south of MLK.

Similar to Oakwood, Boylan Heights is a fully realized neighborhood, but west of downtown. Areas south of Boylan Heights, such as Rosengarten Park are relatively walkable, so young professionals are moving in there. There is a thread on this neighborhood. Outside of that area, there isn't much west of downtown that hasn't shot up in value yet that I can recall.

North of downtown is Mordecai, another fully realized area.

Hence, my focus on the areas east of downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary