Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 02:20 PM

7,823 posts, read 4,564,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonixity View Post
So you would recommend Hugo Boss ?
So much of it depends on your body type. Boss is nice, maybe a bit more euro than say Brooks Bros.. Nordstrom carries a good line of Joseph Abboud, a little more conservative than Boss, but more styled than BB. If you're going to make generalizations, I'll go back to my original recommendation, you're unlikely to get burned at Nordy, and like anything, you get what you pay for. If you're going to let the salesperson do their job and let them lead you to what works, just know that I've been doing business with Nordy for 30 some years (like I said, I'm originally from Portland and Seattle) and they've seldom let me down.

Good luck, I understand where you're coming from. That's a chunk of change to lay down, and on top of that you want to make sure you look good in the process.

Let us know how it works out...

[One other thing to consider... should something go horribly wrong once you get into Texas and there's a Nordstrom nearby, you can take it to the bank they'll make it right]

Last edited by take57; 02-16-2015 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 05:24 PM

248 posts, read 494,862 times
Only one request.... no Pee Wee Herman suits if you're over the age of 25.

Ultra-tight tiny suits are going to be up there with some of the top historical fashion regrets of all time. Kids under the age of 25 get some level of forgiveness because they're not yet old enough to know better.

25-35 is the stink-eye zone, should know better.

Anyone over 35 who does it, and is not in Hollywood having their wardrobe provided for them by someone who requires it, should be dragged out back and pummeled with one of Pee Wee's large white shoes.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:56 PM

36 posts, read 39,526 times
Kannon's. Pricey but worth it. The guy that used to own Joe Sugars in Red Springs is at Kannons now, and is incredibly knowledgeable about fit and material. Service there is great--though you have to deal with Cameron Village to get there.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:12 PM

272 posts, read 303,415 times
Sorry to piggy-back on T's thread but on a related note, anyone have recommendations on where I can find a nice, multi-purpose navy-blue sport-coat at a reasonable price? Was thinking of JBanks, but after reading this thread....

Old 02-16-2015, 06:47 PM

1,067 posts, read 623,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonixity View Post
So you would recommend Hugo Boss ?
It really depends on what fits you best as a Hugo Boss fits much different versus a Brooks Brothers, Hart Shaffner, Peter Millar, etc. I would go around to several of the stores I listed and start trying them on to see what gets you the closest. The Hugo Boss Jackets have a more narrow cut versus the majority of brands. That may be either really good or really bad in your case. You want something that needs the least amount of alterations. When it comes to the build quality of the suits, the Brooks Brothers 1818 and the Samuelsohn and Canali suits are some of the better suits off the rack that you will find in this area. However, they will more than likely be a bit over your budget of $800. Hugo Boss, Hart Shaffner and Jack Victor would come just behind those and should be close to your budget. From time to time, however, you will find various sales on each of these brands.

In addition to the suit, the shirt and tie choice will also make an impact. If you can find a shirt at Brooks Brothers that fits well, I would go that way. If not, go over to Ticknors and pick up a shirt there. They will alter the shirt to fit you without an additional charge. I have tried some of the "higher end" brands from Nordstrom, Saks, Kannon's, etc and find that they wrinkle like crazy.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbenny21 View Post
Kannon's. Pricey but worth it. The guy that used to own Joe Sugars in Red Springs is at Kannons now, and is incredibly knowledgeable about fit and material. Service there is great--though you have to deal with Cameron Village to get there.
Agree 100%. If you can push the budget a bit, this is where to go. I picked up my last two suits here and they are the best one's in my closet. Also, they have a better selection of the Robert Talbott ties now that Nordstrom stop carrying them.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainednCary View Post
Sorry to piggy-back on T's thread but on a related note, anyone have recommendations on where I can find a nice, multi-purpose navy-blue sport-coat at a reasonable price? Was thinking of JBanks, but after reading this thread....
Most of the less expensive sport coats at various stores are no better than Jos A Bank. With that said, Nowell's had a good deal on a few during the Christmas season. I don't know if you can still get a deal or not right now, so you may want to stop by and see what they have. I think Ticknor's still has a Joseph Aboud for $299. Not sure if you consider that reasonable and if they still have it at that price.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:08 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainednCary View Post
J. Crew Ludlow club blazer. Happens to be on sale at the moment for about 310 bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary