Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 07:53 AM

248 posts, read 493,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
You are making is seem like you are a security system salesman deciding where to pitch your offers.
Even if I were, my question would still be valid. You make it seem like you want to derail the thread from a valid question that could benefit many into some sort of ADHD tangent. Since your first post in thread demonstrated a disconnect in understanding of concepts involved in the original question, and the fundamental definition of a shooting crime versus a normal shooting event, I would suggest to other readers that they ignore this fundamental misunderstanding as well.

No I'm not a salesman. But even if I were, it is irrelevant to the discussion.

Would you like me to begin making guesses about your specific vocational duties based on what I know about you so far in thread? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want me to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 08:03 AM

Just an update, I did find what I was looking for this morning (sort of). It takes a little bit of fiddling to get things to work across multiple towns the way I wanted to, but it's highly useful. It does not appear to be something highly encouraging of a wide public audience, so it seems better not to post it here. Perhaps that's why those who knew about it didn't respond? Hmm..

Old 02-20-2015, 08:07 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,889,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokijoo View Post
While it's true that the original topic subject lead to a new conclusion and thus a new question, I think the question is pretty clear. I asked if anyone knows if anyone is aware of a service like SpotCrime that plots crime events, but relies only on factual data rather than allowing potentially false positives.

There is nothing vague about that. It's only challenging to give useful answers when you don't know the answer.
Vagueness and confusion is created internally by those looking to read too much into the question perhaps, but was not created by me.
When you pose questions about crime in a relocation-related forum, most folks will read the request in that context. You have to have some awareness of the forum you are using and the audience you are addressing. We often get crime-related questions on this forum, so people try to understand and answer your question about the interpretation of crime data you were seeing on a website in that context.

Attacking and threatening forum participants who are trying to be responsive is not helpful to your cause.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Attacking and threatening forum participants who are trying to be responsive is not helpful to your cause.
Attacking and threatening? Wow. And I thought the false shooting reports were over the top. Have a nice day.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:42 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,976,187 times
This thread is confusing...

There are crime sites that show actual police calls ...

Old 02-21-2015, 07:55 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,889,429 times
It's only confusing because you are creating your own confusion.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
This thread is confusing...

There are crime sites that show actual police calls ...
Perhaps the thread is confusing because the original question from the first post lead to responses which likely answered it, but raised another question? If you can be specific about what you weren't able to understand, maybe I can help.

Basically where the thread ended up in its later moments is that I presented a new question: was there a service available that offered some or most of the same features as Spotcrime such as plotting events on a map and phone/e-mail notifications based on a radius given an address or GPS coordinate?

I actually thought my question was pretty clear, (I even re-stated it), even if it wasn't the same question presented in the original thread title.

If it's all of the other nonsense (like folks speculating about why I might be asking the question in the first place) that confused you, well unfortunately I have no explanation for individual personality oddities or how people might behave under cabin fever conditions.

Did you ever see the episode of the Andy Griffith Show where a new guy came to town because he had read somewhere that Mayberry was a great place to live, and because he didn't announce to everyone in town why he was there, the residents jumped at the chance to gossip and speculate about this mysterious stranger -- that maybe he was a foreign spy or maybe an alien from outer space? All this nonsense about me being a salesman for a security company is the same sort of thing. Those who were unable to answer the question needed something to gossip about.

Yes there are crime sites that show police calls, but the question was about more than that.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:59 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,976,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
It's only confusing because you are creating your own confusion.
I do that often

Old 02-21-2015, 01:08 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,138,577 times
you can get a report from the City of Raleigh, and you can also get one using iMaps. I would seriously doubt they will allow you to call in every day, or ask about multiple addresses. And to my knowledge, their information is limited to much less than 3 miles.

If we're talking about Raleigh proper, then I rarely see reports of shootings anyway, and my spotcrime account covers the northwest quadrant of the 440 Beltline and the 27612

Old 02-21-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you can get a report from the City of Raleigh, and you can also get one using iMaps. I would seriously doubt they will allow you to call in every day, or ask about multiple addresses. And to my knowledge, their information is limited to much less than 3 miles.

If we're talking about Raleigh proper, then I rarely see reports of shootings anyway, and my spotcrime account covers the northwest quadrant of the 440 Beltline and the 27612
In my mind reports of (actual) shootings should be rare, but today if I look at spotcrime, I see two red icons downtown, and it's one of those things where you can look at it 24 hrs later and the map will have them scattered all over it, on some days. Falsely reported shootings perhaps, but shooting icons nonetheless. It is the frequent changing nature of the data that results in a constantly changing picture, and why constant requests for reports or making daily phone calls aren't viable options.

On spotcrime, I see red icons in NW Raleigh all the time around Glenwood. I doubt they are actual shootings -- either someone heard another loud noise and reported it or some kid is pranking the site entering false positives.

Last edited by smokijoo; 02-21-2015 at 02:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary