Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 08:24 PM

43,278 posts, read 77,083,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
other than the fact that government budgets run from June-June, why in holy heck would the DPI be reporting March-March figures? And why wouldn't Wake independently have reported or have the 2013-2014 info available by October 30, if not by March 2015?

The turnover rate from March 2013 to March 2014 went down in Wake County. Within weeks, we were told it was going up at an alarming rate in Wake County. We still have seen no followup from Wake County officials to the doom and gloom they proclaimed. Certainly if the facts supported their contention we would have heard. Surely.

It's also noted that I never saw the N&O note that the WCPSS spokesman for each of these events was a former N&O employee, just for full disclosure.
So easily skipped over when scrubbing the stats to grind the old ax:

"The top reason teachers resigned was for teaching jobs in other North Carolina districts."
Read more here: NC teacher turnover rate dips slightly, though more leave for out-of-state jobs | Education | NewsObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 08:33 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I believe that teachers should be paid more. I believe they should reinstate the stipend for grad school degrees. But the teachers that I interact with - here and in the schools - are not that unhappy and haven't been fleeing away.
Lends credence to the notion that good teachers don't do it for the money.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Lends credence to the notion that good teachers don't do it for the money.
There is certainly some nugget of truth to that, but there are also many fine teachers who are trying to feed a family.
And it is a poor manager who would tell an employee to eat satisfaction in lieu of a paycheck.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:54 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
There is certainly some nugget of truth to that, but there are also many fine teachers who are trying to feed a family.
And it is a poor manager who would tell an employee to eat satisfaction in lieu of a paycheck.
Indeed, and in light of your last statement, I would venture that this is a country full of poor managers.

Here's the funny thing... there's been a lot said about teacher attrition in NC recently due to lower-than-adequate salaries, and yet the schools in the state are reputed as better than the national average by most observers. What is interesting is how some of the worst districts in America pay much better than average -- and they STILL have high rates of teacher turnover.

So it raises the question of what's more important to the individual teacher: lower salary for higher satisfaction, or higher salary in a warzone?

To your first point, I know that first-hand, having been married to a (very highly regarded in her schools) teacher for nearly 9 years now.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Indeed, and in light of your last statement, I would venture that this is a country full of poor managers.

Here's the funny thing... there's been a lot said about teacher attrition in NC recently due to lower-than-adequate salaries, and yet the schools in the state are reputed as better than the national average by most observers. What is interesting is how some of the worst districts in America pay much better than average -- and they STILL have high rates of teacher turnover.

So it raises the question of what's more important to the individual teacher: lower salary for higher satisfaction, or higher salary in a warzone?

To your first point, I know that first-hand, having been married to a (very highly regarded in her schools) teacher for nearly 9 years now.

I think it a fascinating dynamic, salary vs. desire.

Keep salaries too low, and positions are "last resort" jobs for incapable people, or filled by those who are totally called to the profession but inadequate in supply so not enough to go around, or by those with other means of support, or by newbies who see any positions as stepping stones to other positions.
Make salaries high enough, and while keeping great people deservedly above poverty, attract uncaring people who will front classrooms and go through the motions merely for the money. And, it is not uncommon to see salary become a perceived entitlement.

Is it better for the kids to have newbie graduates in the classroom, earnest and idealistic, or overpaid burnouts who gave up caring years ago?
Regardless, it is obvious that teachers are undercompensated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary