Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:27 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

We got mail today and all last week, but a friend in Carrboro said that her mail carrier did not deliver the birthday presents they were expecting and just drove by their mailbox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 09:14 PM

448 posts, read 851,234 times
We received mail last week and mail today. Although, I none of the mail was anything worth anything other than junk and current resident

Old 02-25-2015, 02:23 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
As a postal retiree, I do understand why mail may not be delivered under bad conditions.

First, consider the inability of postal employees to report for duty. Could you get to work?

Next, consider that the mail may not reach the plants.

Third, if you can't navigate your neighborhood, why do you think your carrier can safely deliver there?

We got mail most days and appreciate the effort.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:31 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
As a postal retiree, I do understand why mail may not be delivered under bad conditions.

First, consider the inability of postal employees to report for duty. Could you get to work?

Third, if you can't navigate your neighborhood, why do you think your carrier can safely deliver there?

As a health care provider, I have to go to work everyday, in spite of inclimate weather .What happened to "the postman's pledge": Neither rain nor snow nor sleet sleet or hail, shall keep the postman from his/her appointed rounds".

Old 02-25-2015, 04:41 AM

269 posts, read 321,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post

I made it to my job and probably had a farther commute to get there.
My neighborhood was fine in the afternoon.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:36 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
I'm 100% ok with not getting mail when it could be dangerous for carriers. It's a different era, and emergency info is often sent electronically.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
As a health care provider, I have to go to work everyday, in spite of inclimate weather .What happened to "the postman's pledge": Neither rain nor snow nor sleet sleet or hail, shall keep the postman from his/her appointed rounds".
First, who cares if the mail doesn't come for a day or two? Mail is hardly critical.

Second, reporting to work at a single location is hardly equivalent to having to drive on numerous neighborhood streets that are in poor shape.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:09 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,207,522 times
I understand the no mail if the roads are bad, but closing the post office is unnecessary when people are sending things that need to be post-marked by a certain day. (as in my job where I have a 24 stated handling time and I get defect points if they are not scanned within a day). Ebay doenst care about a closed post office-their response would be to find one that is open.
If I could safely drive to the darn place-and I wasnt the only one there. It was one of those days when I also couldnt understand why schools were closed.

That stinks if you are expecting packages-especially birthday gifts!

Old 02-25-2015, 06:43 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
First, who cares if the mail doesn't come for a day or two? Mail is hardly critical.

Second, reporting to work at a single location is hardly equivalent to having to drive on numerous neighborhood streets that are in poor shape.
I travel to several different sites, not a single location.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:01 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Yeah, my friend said they flagged down the mail truck the next day as she was driving down their (very flat) street and got their packages, but basically the mail carrier wasn't going to bother getting out of the truck. Very sharp contrast to my mail carrier in my very hilly curvy neighborhood who didn't miss a day. We even got a Sunday delivery from somebody (not sure if UPS or USPS).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: