Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:18 AM

8 posts, read 16,218 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for the feedback. This truly helps a lot! Glad we don't have to worry about the race thing...I figured as much, just wanted to hear from you guys. A bit concerned that the area's are too rural or "suburban" for us though so I think we'll take your advice and spend a day or two in Chapel Hill.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 11:48 AM

360 posts, read 516,180 times
Late to chime in here, but just wanted to add that we moved from the west coast about a year ago and have not felt uncomfortable. My husband is Hispanic and I'm white. We also speak Spanish with the kids when out and about and people don't seem to notice/be bothered.

We're in the western part of Cary.

We're also pretty liberal for the area but haven't really noticed, if that makes sense. It doesn't seem to be in your face, one way or another.

I'd also look in Chapel Hill or Raleigh as some have suggested. We like the convenience and comforts of Cary for every day, but like to spend time in those areas.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:00 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Enyko, you might like to read this essay from a black graduate student from the South in grad school in Madison. I think she speaks more eloquently to the issues of race in the South vs a place there aren't many black people than I was able to: http://www.psmag.com/books-and-cultu...form-of-racism. The short version is that in Madison she's much more conscious of racism and standing out for the color of her skin than she ever was here.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:47 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Enyko, you might like to read this essay from a black graduate student from the South in grad school in Madison. I think she speaks more eloquently to the issues of race in the South vs a place there aren't many black people than I was able to: http://www.psmag.com/books-and-cultu...form-of-racism. The short version is that in Madison she's much more conscious of racism and standing out for the color of her skin than she ever was here.
That's a great article. Thanks for posting.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:31 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Yeah, I thought it was a great piece, too.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:14 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Be sure to schedule at least 4.5 minutes to "hang around downtown Apex."

(It's downright puny! ) Cute, though.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:26 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Race and ethnicity are not a concern in my part of North Raleigh. The color of your money is what's vital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary