Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 04:28 PM

191 posts, read 276,076 times

Advertisements

We've been here nearly 11 years. As others have posted, religion is prominent here (i.e., there's a church rush come Sunday morning similar to a bar rush in most of the country lol ;-) but you can avoid it for the most part if you're savvy. Occasionally, you come across a wacko or two wanting to "save" you or break into tongues but you can mostly ignore them (but of course I'm 6'4" 225 lbs. and 9% body fat lol :-)...

To sum it up, it's annoying and perplexing/confounding... but if you want to live here for other reasons you can simply chalk it up to "local culture" and move on... but then, PLEASE make sure you have other (good) reasons for coming/being here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 04:36 PM

533 posts, read 1,198,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
This is a lot closer to my experience, too. We have some neighbors who are evangelicals, and the most intrusive thing they've done since we moved in was to come by on Valentine's Day and give us some candy with bible verses attached.
This has been my experience as well. We've been here for a little over 5 years, and I've yet to have someone try to testify or witness their faith to me or my family. The only time that I've had a someone discuss religion was when I told a neighbor we were looking for a new church and she invited me to hers. Had I not brought it up, I doubt she would have either.

Maybe other parts of NC are different, but I have not experienced the Triangle to be Bible belt territory at all.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:14 PM

715 posts, read 888,967 times
Back in the day you may have been asked where do attend services as part of a general conversation but it's not like that anymore. I see fewer suits on Sunday's around here anyway so you are safe from trying to be saved!!!

Old 02-25-2015, 06:55 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
It may be more prominent that you are accustomed to, but it won't be in your face and you are unlikely to be made to feel uncomfortable about religion.
This is my take on it. Up north, my experience was that even the most religious people hardly talked about their religion. Not even dropping it into casual conversation, like it was a topic to be avoided. Down here it's much more common to hear people say "I can't meet up with you till after church" or "I know so-and-so from my church"...at the same time, no one is talking to you about religion if that makes sense.

I haven't yet had anyone so much as ask me what church I go to, let along try to save me....but this area is pretty diverse, so some of these posters who have had that experience may live in more rural areas. You'll definitely find that type of behavior in more rural areas.

Bottom line if any talk of religion makes you uncomfortable, you'll have some uncomfortable moments here. if you can let it go past you, you'll be fine.

Wife and two kids and wearing pentagram t-shirts? Dude, the 80s are over. Let it go

Old 02-25-2015, 08:57 PM

35 posts, read 31,142 times
Thank you all very much, it's been so very helpful. I have no issue with talking religion all day long with someone. I just haven't traveled much outside the north east {two trips to florida, with the last being 16 years ago} and all that I really have to go on are movies, tv and books which always make things worse than what they truly are. I just figured getting to know my surroundings before hand would be a good idea especially since someone like myself tend to stick out and be a magnet for conversations from the strangest of places. I truly can't wait to get down there with my family. This has just been a big question of mine since my wife and I raise our kids in a very liberal sense and don't really talk much of religion {good or bad} and they usually don't bring it up. However there is a counselor at the school that both of my boys see fairly regularly who has very mormon leanings and has talked to them [to what extent I don't know for sure} about god-heaven in some ways {we had a passing in the family a few months ago and I believe it was in the context of her passing} but it has brought up questions and conversations between my wife and myself and I figured getting a jump start on the religion thing before moving down there would be a good idea. Thank you all for commenting and being honest and helpful with things. Means alot-K.M

Old 02-25-2015, 09:53 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,017 times
I don't think the Triangle is too religious. I think Charlotte has the Bible Belt Buckle/Billy Graham reputation, but Raleigh/Durham isn't as bad. I've heard many (mainly foreign) transplants acknowledge that we have so many churches around Raleigh, though. However, don't expect people coming up to you in Target or wherever asking if you've found Jesus. It's a different story outside the metro once you get into rural areas, though.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:56 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
we tend towards the parenthetical. we like bracketology come March and April

Old 02-25-2015, 10:34 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reisenhoffer View Post
so when I wear one of my shirts that has a particular slogan from "full metal jacket" in big letters on the back I don't get more than a few looks, or when I might wear a particular favorite shirt with a pentagram on it, it usually has the same effect. Thanks-K.M
You will probably get much less attention than you are seeking....

Old 02-25-2015, 10:47 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,388 times
Oh, snap.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:52 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,895 times
Religion is definitely a more prominent part of the lives of native NC people. Many of these people will readily ostracize and condemn you for not sharing their beliefs. Some will try to convert you, especially if they suspect you're a Jew.

I've endured numerous conversations where people said things like "Dinosaur bones were put on Earth by the devil to deceive you into believing in evolution" or more "sophisticated" arguments like "you have no proof that radioactive decay happens at a consistent rate to support your theory that the Earth is older than 5000 years old"..

The Triangle has grown significantly since I was a full time resident and I imagine some of these older impressions have diminished, but I can't imagine they aren't still pretty prevalent. Since the presence of evangelicals is one of your prime considerations in a place to relocate to, you might want to look out West where people have more of a live and let live attitude about life in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary