Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 06:27 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times

Advertisements

My mom bought a large upholstered rolled arm chair from Pottery Barn that swivels. She loves it and it's holding up well after about 8 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 09:40 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCInMyMind View Post

Each time they brought a rose. The delivery men said it wasn't exactly a PB thing, but rather a "policy" of their distribution center which just opened late last year.
That would have creeped me out just a tad.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,216 times
Re-weaving a rush seat not anything like cutting a piece of fabric and stapling it to an existing drop in seat...and it certainly doesn't cost more than replacing the chair. The rush seats on these are not woven right onto the frame as the old-time versions were...these are a separate, very interchangeable seat that is merely bolted to the frame. Even if the chairs were new I'd have heartburn with replacing the whole chair OR the seat....I feel as if PB was happy to take my $$ in the beginning, but doesn't care about any customer service after the fact.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:51 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillian R. Maynard View Post
Re-weaving a rush seat not anything like cutting a piece of fabric and stapling it to an existing drop in seat...and it certainly doesn't cost more than replacing the chair. The rush seats on these are not woven right onto the frame as the old-time versions were...these are a separate, very interchangeable seat that is merely bolted to the frame. Even if the chairs were new I'd have heartburn with replacing the whole chair OR the seat....I feel as if PB was happy to take my $$ in the beginning, but doesn't care about any customer service after the fact.
I'm aware of the difference. But again how old are they? No furniture company will replace anything if it has worn in a normal frame of time with normal wear and tear. If they fell apart in a few months just from sitting in them that's normal wear and tear and is valid. By a few months I mean less than 12 months. If they fell apart in a few months and you were using them for a stepping stool or your kids were jumping on them or dragging them around that's not normal wear and tear. If the seats wore out from either and it's been over a year then you shouldnt expect the company you bought it from to replace it. There is a time limit. That's like eating an entire steak dinner then complaining you didn't like it and expecting it to be comped after consuming it. I had an Ethan Allen sofa fall apart after 6 months and they didn't stand behind it. 6 months is not the normal life of a high quality sofa. I have rush seat chairs in my kitchen that are going strong after a few years. If one of them failed I wouldn't expect the complaint I bought them from to replace them. However if it happened in the first 6 months I would.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:11 PM

140 posts, read 144,015 times
I used to work for PB over 10 yrs ago, so this may be dated. But the furniture was mainly Mitchell Gold with the PB name on them (as another poster previously stated). I thought they were good quality. We furnished most of our new house in 2005 and still have many of those pieces today.

Their return policy used to be ridiculously generous where they would take anything back (even with as little as the PB label or price tag) and give you the next closest thing on the shelves or the equivalent price on a gift card. Then, I believe they capped it at a year.

I worked in the stockroom and used to complain to my manager that it seems like people use the furniture then cycle out to a different ensemble. He said he knows people that do that. It would be near impossible to find a box for the furniture to put returns back in. These would end up on the floor and if the price dropped far enough, over time, an employee would buy it (40% employee discount - except on electric items).

The one bad thing I noticed, again since I worked in the stockroom, a high number of items in unopened boxes had some type of scratches/scuffs. We bought a dining room table and purchased 8 leather chairs to go with it. I went through our whole supply of chairs and even had to to wait for replenishment before I found 8 "perfect" chairs. Apologized to my mgr but he said he would do the same, spending the amount of money that we did.

I hated that they barely staffed the 5p-closing shift for stock because that's when a lot of returns would come in. Once, a customer had bought a leather ottoman that had scuffs. Two of us had to maneuver through 8-10 huge boxes of ottomans in the "warehouse" stacked up about 20' high (so much for the employee safety video). Found 3 of the same color/model. Opened each one, and the customer managed to find scuffing on all of them.

I then moved on to Williams Sonoma. My first question in the interview was "What was the heaviest thing I had to lift?". 40 lbs. Best move ever, as a FT employee, you get the employee discount on all Williams Sonoma stores (Pottery Barn, West Elm, etc.). Plus, WS was full of moms and grandmas working there, who liked to cook. They would bring in cookies and pastries all the time. Where were they kept? The stockroom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary