Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 01:47 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
Wow Azitra in Brier Creek got an 80 in January.
The Firehouse Subs in Brier Creek got an 84 too.

Something is up w/ B. Creek!
I'll admit, I live in Brier Creek but I don't eat out there much. I go to Champa Thai a lot but not many of the other restaurants. I did go to the Hiyashi-ya sushi restaurant until it closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 06:16 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Indeed. Anyone who has traveled to some parts of Asia (we have) will realize how over-zealous we in the USA are about our cleanliness...
I have seen this comment before and I just don't get it. In a first world country, meeting the standards of cleanliness required by the Health Dept. is not that difficult. I worked in food service when I was younger, if you're properly trained (again, not that onerous) it's second nature to rotate foods, clean what needs to be cleaned properly etc etc. Whoever manages that RR must be unbelievably lazy.

I worked at a chain restaurant for a few summers. First year, the manager was on it. Never saw a cockroach, even once. Came back the next summer, we had a new manager and she didn't know what the heck she was doing and the place was gross. Cockroaches abound that summer.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:39 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I have seen this comment before and I just don't get it. In a first world country, meeting the standards of cleanliness required by the Health Dept. is not that difficult. I worked in food service when I was younger, if you're properly trained (again, not that onerous) it's second nature to rotate foods, clean what needs to be cleaned properly etc etc. Whoever manages that RR must be unbelievably lazy.

I worked at a chain restaurant for a few summers. First year, the manager was on it. Never saw a cockroach, even once. Came back the next summer, we had a new manager and she didn't know what the heck she was doing and the place was gross. Cockroaches abound that summer.
Some of the best meals I've ever had were in some scary places overseas. Best Biryani ever was in a Pakistani place in one of the poorer neighborhoods in Dubai. Point is that food handling is important, but inpsections are more about politics and BS. Who cares if the paint on the dry storage shelves is not perfect. (As a manager, I've lost points for that).

Again, people aren't dying (or getting sick) or something would be done about it...

Old 03-06-2015, 06:44 PM

4,540 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
The inspector couldn't get a parking spot.

And when the inspector went to leave, no one would stop to let him back out of the parking spot.

Haha yup! And the inspector got very mad at the 4-way stops because no one knew how to take turns.

What happened to Johnny Carinos in Brier Creek? Went there several months ago and it was disgusting! The floor was so sticky, I felt like I need to hose down the bottom of my shoes after walking out of the place.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:28 PM

379 posts, read 517,424 times
The restaurant business anywhere in the country is very tough. Add in the inspector visits and fines and it borderline unprofitable to run a place. I saw a news show once where they went into an average family's home and did a kitchen inspection. They found mold in the refridgerators seals, expired items in the fridge and pantry, high bacteria counts on the cooking and countertops, wrong temps in the fridge etc.. Needless to say most of our kitchens, including mine, would probably fail a city inspection. I cleaned out the freezer two weeks ago. I found frozen items in tupperware and ziplock bags I could no longer identify and don't remember making. Needless to say a lot of things got tossed and the freezer needed a much needed cleaning.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:33 PM

450 posts, read 1,553,109 times
My family ate at this Red Robin in mid December. Both my wife and I were sick as dogs that evening and the next day but thank God our 9-month old didn't get sick (she ate some of our bread and fries, but not the meat). We ordered our burgers medium and they were probably cooked medium rare, but we thought nothing of it since that's how we normally eat our burgers at home (and in restaurants outside NC where they allow such things).

After reading the inspection report, I'm thinking it was probably cross-contaminated lettuce or something. It could've been the beef, but I thing X-Con is probably more likely.

Needless to say, we have not returned to this or any other RR. Now I know why we got so sick.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:46 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
My family ate at this Red Robin in mid December. Both my wife and I were sick as dogs that evening and the next day but thank God our 9-month old didn't get sick (she ate some of our bread and fries, but not the meat). We ordered our burgers medium and they were probably cooked medium rare, but we thought nothing of it since that's how we normally eat our burgers at home (and in restaurants outside NC where they allow such things).

After reading the inspection report, I'm thinking it was probably cross-contaminated lettuce or something. It could've been the beef, but I thing X-Con is probably more likely.

Needless to say, we have not returned to this or any other RR. Now I know why we got so sick.
For the record; again having worked at RR as a teenager; no matter how you order your burger there are really only two options. Ever notice that the server doesn't say "how would you like your burger cooked?"..they ask you "some pink, or no pink?". That's because "some pink" means that the patty goes through the conveyor-belt once; and "no pink" goes through twice. Seriously. "Some pink" is usually medium....no pink is usually somewhere between medium well and well done.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:05 PM

236 posts, read 555,719 times
That was me who posted the sanitation grade from the Johnny Carino's last December 2013. We went into the restaurant, and they had half of the grade covered with a red bow. You could only see the number "6" and the 8 in front was hidden. We have not been back since. It all boils down to poor, lazy management.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:38 AM

715 posts, read 888,260 times
Honestly if you are paying the price for a RR burger you want that establishment to be on par with all health codes especially since the place is geared towards kids right?

It comes down to best practices and agree this is a reflection of the management who probably is not trained or just does not care. Your dealing with ground beef which is first processed and needs to be handled and stored properly since bacteria forms rather quickly. So to me the scores mean something especially if I take the grandkids.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:40 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalRed View Post
Honestly if you are paying the price for a RR burger you want that establishment to be on par with all health codes especially since the place is geared towards kids right?

It comes down to best practices and agree this is a reflection of the management who probably is not trained or just does not care. Your dealing with ground beef which is first processed and needs to be handled and stored properly since bacteria forms rather quickly. So to me the scores mean something especially if I take the grandkids.
Yep.

I see an 82.5 before I order and eat, and I guarantee you my tummy money is out the door and down the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary