Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 03:03 PM

9 posts, read 34,985 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
My name is Chris and my wife and I will be moving down to NC in the end of april. I have been going over everything I could these past couple months looking at different areas around Raleigh and the real estate. We are looking for a home with a good bit of land .5-1.0 acres and we want to stay under 170,000. We are looking for a town that has a nice small town feel but still close enought to raleigh so our commute will not be too bad. We would rather be in a place where we can get more house for our money as oposed to having great schools, as we are not planning on having kids for a few years. But we don't want to sacrafice being in a bad area we have already had quite enough of that going to school in baltimore city, MD. I was really focused on Apex but then I could see how much more house we could get in Holly Springs... I have seen posts about staying away from south apex, is there anywhere in Holly Springs to stay away from as well? We are open to just about anywhere in the Raleigh/Durham area. Our main goal with this is to find a place where we can get as much house as possible while still staying, within 30 miles of raleigh, and not drifting into a bad part of town. thank you all very much...
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 04:22 PM

271 posts, read 1,213,446 times
You don't seem to be too bound to a certain area so there are several towns/areas to consider. First you may want to get somewhere close to where you will be working. If you're looking in the Holly Springs area you really shouldnt have a hard time finding what you're looking for, there are a lot of nice homes with a decent amount of land there currently. You may want to consider Fuquay-Varina also as it runs in with Holly Springs on it's north western end.

Do you want to be close to major shopping? Libraries?

Old 11-06-2006, 05:52 PM

9 posts, read 34,985 times
thanks for the input... It would be nice to be near a good library, we don't care that much about the shopping. One thing that does interest us is a place that is somwhat pedestrian friendly, ie. parks and trails.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:14 PM

69 posts, read 260,323 times
What is wrong with South Apex? Is Scotts Mill a good area?

Old 11-06-2006, 07:28 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
You may want to check out Johnston County. You definitely get more land and more house for your money. The area is more rural but I have friends and clients that have lived there for years and wouldn't live anywhere else. Actually, when my parents moved back to NC from FL, I put them in Johnston county, along with my sister and brother in law. They wanted to be close to Fayetteville but not IN Fayetteville and Hwy 42 runs that way.
Johnston County schools are really growing and there are some really nice areas. One of the vice presidents at my husband's company is from that area and we found him a beautiful home on an acre with a two car garage for not much more than that. Vicki

Old 11-06-2006, 07:31 PM

65 posts, read 60,266 times
go 2 mooresville, race city usa

Old 11-07-2006, 02:09 PM

271 posts, read 1,213,446 times
To second VickiR Johnston County is nice and you can get more for your Dollar and the commute for many will improve drastically in the coming year as the 70 bypass opens.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:13 PM

229 posts, read 1,054,157 times
Default Scotts Mill

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpacino View Post
What is wrong with South Apex? Is Scotts Mill a good area?
Scotts Mill is a great location in Apex and it's not really the truly Southpoint of Apex. They are probably referring to the south edge of Apex that buts up against Holly Springs. Scotts Mill is actually one of the highest appreciating subdivisions in Apex and a wonderful neighborhood for families and others.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:52 PM

36 posts, read 164,324 times
Only a few streets to avoid in Apex. Do not pick Fuquay. I would say New Hill is very inexpensive still so you could get a bigger place for less money there and in Garner. I love Apex, Morrisville and Cary but they are all getting expensive. Holly Springs is the next one to get booming so to go into it now would probably be a very good investment. Take a look though as there are many places for sale that are run down trailers. These places will probably be bought out soon though as condos will be replacing that land.

Last edited by katie; 07-12-2007 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-12-2007, 08:55 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Wake Forest is a great town but you won't find larger lots there.

Lately I've thought that Rolesville reminds me alot of Holly Springs. Does anyone agree with that?

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary