Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 03:46 PM

129 posts, read 186,067 times

Advertisements

What are they thinking? I looked it up and Good Friday is only recognized by 12 states. Like 20% of people are actually gonna show up for this, the CDC is probably gonna send an investigator to figure out why 80% of WCPSS students all got sick at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 04:04 PM

2,924 posts, read 3,329,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked_ID View Post
What are they thinking? I looked it up and Good Friday is only recognized by 12 states. Like 20% of people are actually gonna show up for this, the CDC is probably gonna send an investigator to figure out why 80% of WCPSS students all got sick at the same time.
I am confused by your statement, you are saying that only 12 states in US even give students off for Good Friday but then you think it is odd that the district would choose that as a day for a make up.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:20 PM

328 posts, read 766,128 times
I think the OP means that 80% of the students will stay home during Spring Break, rather than coming in. I agree. I don't have children yet, but I would keep mine home.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:22 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,894,842 times
School districts are constrained by laws limiting how early they can start the school year and how late it can go. It forces them to use less than ideal days for makeup.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:44 PM

683 posts, read 1,879,169 times
WCPSS also made it pretty clear that it is up to parents how to handle this and they encouraged communicating with teachers about makeup work if their kids will not be present.

I feel bad for they people having to make these decisions, both during the time of bad weather and later when makeup days are decided.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:52 PM

22,652 posts, read 36,657,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
School districts are constrained by laws limiting how early they can start the school year and how late it can go. It forces them to use less than ideal days for makeup.
The dates on the WCPSS calendar that has been on their website for well over a year state that the makeup days for weather are March 23, June 9, June 10 and June 11. Why they are throwing this curveball at the literal 11th hour, when they said the makeup days would be something else (again, not in accordance with their calendar) is beyond me. I know soooo many people - not just students, but employees - who have non-refundable plans for spring break it is ridiculous. Additionally, anyone who has teachers in their family (like we do) plans major events around the school calendar. You simply cannot tell people 2 weeks before the break, when they are most likely in the non-refundable period of their planned trip, that they have to be in school. What's worse, there are HS kids who have to choose between costing their family an arm and a leg or missing the equivalent of 6 days of school. AND - HS kids can be excused from their finals if they haven't missed more than one day of school and if they miss the 3 days of the now non-spring break, they are out of luck with that.

Add to that WCPSS' incredible cowardice in announcing this on a Saturday morning...it just doesn't get any worse. Personally, I will remember this at the next election.

We've had 17 weather days over the last 2 years. It's time for them to come up with a better plan. And then, they need to STICK TO IT.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:54 PM

129 posts, read 186,067 times
I was completely fine with the 2 Saturdays, and Good Friday being used as makeup days. Because now we're gonna have to lie, not that I really have a problem with it, I've lied to WCPSS like 100 times, but yeah, this is a huge waste of teachers' time since no one's gonna show up. Contiguous working time is much more valuable to working teenagers than those two Saturdays would be and you know maybe 40% of people wouldn't show up on Good Friday, nothing you can do about that. But that was a much better plan and they are not coming between me and Spring Vacation.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:55 PM

22,652 posts, read 36,657,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemi808 View Post
WCPSS also made it pretty clear that it is up to parents how to handle this and they encouraged communicating with teachers about makeup work if their kids will not be present.
That's nice. Put the onus on the teachers to prepare work ahead of time for the kids who can't make it. Let's not forget all the teachers who planned a vacation for that time period.

To me the dream scenario is teachers take personal days (for which they must pay $50 per day for a sub) and then there are no subs because they are all on vacation as well.

The dirty little secret here is that Good Friday is a paid vacation for WCPSS employees so they realized too late they couldn't do that. Also, if they have Saturday school for traditional calendar, that puts their non-certified time card staff into overtime. Can't have that. Finally, their new plan has YR going to school for one full Saturday, and the law requires lunch to be served. That means they will have to pay cafeteria staff to come in.

If they stuck with their original makeup days, none of this would be an issue.

Might be time for them to do something crazy like NOT LET THE TOURISM INDUSTRY RUN THE EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:14 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
I've been curious how it would play out in Wake. I'm still not sure I understand what happened.

I don't love the kids going to school on Saturday in CHCCS, but at least they didn't mess with Spring Break too much (did take Good Friday and Memorial Day). I think that's pretty much what Durham did, too. Alamance County took almost all of Spring Break. Chatham County Schools came up with a plan and then surveyed the staff and parents about it (or so it says on their website) and are adding 15 min more to the school day, plus going full days when they had early release days and taking away a workday. They kept Good Friday and Memorial Day. Orange County still doesn't have a plan on their website.

Old 03-07-2015, 05:59 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,772,566 times
I completely sympathize with those who are caught up in this, whether teachers, students, of family members of either. Looks like they'll have to start building in more "weather days" in March and April.

I don't think going to school on a Saturday or two is a major thing for most; we had too do that "back in the day" and there was something so novel about it, it was almost "fun". However, I was too young at the time to be working a job, which would complicate things. For younger kids, it shouldn't be a tremendous deal.

And as for those with all the sturm und drang about Good Friday--as someone else said, it's not even a holiday in most states, and it wasn't even a Holiday HERE until just a few years ago. To the parents saying "we aren't going, that's a major holiday", I have to wonder what exactly they did if they lived in a state that didn't give GF as a holiday? If it's church, kids can miss school for an hour or two to go to services, but again, most who grew up here never even had Good Friday off until fairly recently. We used to get Easter Monday instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary