Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 03:12 PM

248 posts, read 494,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
According to Wikipedia, 78 Love its and 57 list its.
Love It or List It - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's amazing that my personal experience is so different from the total showing stats. Maybe I've recorded on whatever time slot that they happen to schedule more of the list its? lol. Most of the ones I've watched act frustrated that their original wish-list cannot be achieved within allocated budget due to all the surprises found.

Also I wonder how many of those who said list-its actually moved into a new place, because inevitably there is always an inflated guesstimate of how much "added value" the renovations added to the home. They make it look like resale is always in excess of the remodeling cost, and that's almost never how it works in real life. The show with the gay twin brothers does the same thing. I guess since their sponsors sell home improvement, it behooves them to try to convince the public they should be spending as much money on those products as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I've heard that they actually film both endings, so that the producers can decide which one to use later on, so that they have the desired ratios of loving vs. listing.
Wouldn't surprise me that they would do something like that. The producers probably care more about which ending will draw the best ratings rather than meeting a specific ratio.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:14 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,830 times
Love It or List It is addictive... so, very, very addictive... channel 44 in my local viewing area... love HGTV!

Old 03-11-2015, 03:48 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokijoo View Post
That's amazing that my personal experience is so different from the total showing stats. Maybe I've recorded on whatever time slot that they happen to schedule more of the list its? lol. Most of the ones I've watched act frustrated that their original wish-list cannot be achieved within allocated budget due to all the surprises found.

Also I wonder how many of those who said list-its actually moved into a new place, because inevitably there is always an inflated guesstimate of how much "added value" the renovations added to the home. They make it look like resale is always in excess of the remodeling cost, and that's almost never how it works in real life. The show with the gay twin brothers does the same thing. I guess since their sponsors sell home improvement, it behooves them to try to convince the public they should be spending as much money on those products as possible.
Aside from the fact that the Property Brothers are not gay (one was previously married to a woman, and both have had publicized relationships), yes, they all play fast and loose with valuations.

However, I do think that the PB on Buying and Selling do get quite a lot of bang for the buck for the pretty limited budgets they work with. Similarly to Flip or Flop with Tarek and Christina, I have always assumed that the costs cited don't actually include the labor, as I doubt any homeowner could get a renovated kitchen and bath for the numbers used on those shows if they had professional contractors.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:30 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokijoo View Post
, and the wife was actually more annoying than the hosts (which is a hard feat to accomplish on that show).
I thought the wife did awesome. I lol'd when she called her husband a tool.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Aside from the fact that the Property Brothers are not gay (one was previously married to a woman, and both have had publicized relationships), yes, they all play fast and loose with valuations.
Oops. I just thought they were. Usually so much male attention to hair styling and general primping is a sure thing I did a quick search and they are apparently aware that this is the first impression many people have of them. Now when I see them, I will always remember the old SNL skit "Lyle - the effeminate heterosexual" by Dana Carvey. lol

Quote:
However, I do think that the PB on Buying and Selling do get quite a lot of bang for the buck for the pretty limited budgets they work with. Similarly to Flip or Flop with Tarek and Christina, I have always assumed that the costs cited don't actually include the labor, as I doubt any homeowner could get a renovated kitchen and bath for the numbers used on those shows if they had professional contractors.
Like you said, the costs are probably out of touch with what someone would really pay. To be successful house flippers like Tarek and Christina you pretty much need a tight relationship with a specific contractor (either a relative or someone that can count on you to feed them a continuous pipeline of work). I always wonder to what extent the show subsidizes all of these efforts, too. I doubt even the homeowners would agree to go on TV and subject their renovations to whatever the show decides to do if there wasn't something in it for them financially.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:32 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
Wait a minute, in a crazy twist that NO ONE saw coming, the contractor found some damage that Hilary didn't know about, sucking money from the plan and the homeowner had to drop part of the renovation.

And in a related question: Did you ever see that episode of Three's Company where the plot was about a crazy misunderstanding?
Tee hee! Was that the episode where Mr. Roper is suspicious that Jack isn't gay because he's out with a woman only to be assured later that she is Jack's sister or cousin or something?

Old 03-11-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Tee hee! Was that the episode where Mr. Roper is suspicious that Jack isn't gay because he's out with a woman only to be assured later that she is Jack's sister or cousin or something?
I always credit Threes Company for being the first show that jumped the shark every single episode
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary