Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 03:38 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamyn View Post
We, too are moving there at the beginning of May. Mostly because of family health issues & also our daughter & her family live in Jacksonville, and eventual retirement. We chose Raleigh-Durham for the economic boom, as we still have 10-15 years of careers left.

But we know nothing abt the area or its suburbs. Is it cheaper to live in urban or suburban? Until we find jobs, we'll be living on savings & severance.

For ex: In IL where we're coming from (blech) it's cheaper to live in suburbs. But we're Ohioans *go Buckeyes*, and urban living is cheaper there, than suburban.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!
This area is becoming a boom town and losing its quality of life.

Since NC is a right to work (for less) state, many fields are quite poorly compensated especially public service.

Rents and home prices are rising fast. Taxes are not as low as you may expect.

Unless you have a solid job, don't run here. The safety net is full of holes.

Do not believe the lies in the media. Only people in certain high paying jobs have a big advantage here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 02:37 PM

8 posts, read 6,648 times
We have a safety net to live on for quite some time. Plus my hubby will be eligible for unemployment.

We looked into the job market, esp for his job, and he can make equitable money.

Quality of life is very poor in Chicago. We have researched homes, shopping, and our daughter, grandson, and SIL live there. He's our only grandchild. I want to be nearer to them. Plus, he can buy Yueng Ling! ;-D

We're not just diving into this. It's take a $7K/yr pay cut - which you can't survive on in IL - or move. NC is the place for us, and we can help out with our very ill SIL.

But I thank you for your concern.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:53 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Is it cheaper to live in urban or suburban?
Really, it's pretty much all suburbs here. Your choice is suburbs further out or suburbs in town. There's very little urban here. There's a bit, but it's kinda hipster urban.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:07 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Urban is definitely more expensive in the Triangle than suburban. The only way urban is cheaper is if one looks in pre-gentrified neighborhoods near DT Raleigh but, even that is getting more expensive.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:30 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
We have a safety net to live on for quite some time. Plus my hubby will be eligible for unemployment.

We looked into the job market, esp for his job, and he can make equitable money.

Quality of life is very poor in Chicago. We have researched homes, shopping, and our daughter, grandson, and SIL live there. He's our only grandchild. I want to be nearer to them. Plus, he can buy Yueng Ling! ;-D

We're not just diving into this. It's take a $7K/yr pay cut - which you can't survive on in IL - or move. NC is the place for us, and we can help out with our very ill SIL.

But I thank you for your concern.
Unemployment in NC sucks. I assume you checked that, though.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:06 PM

8 posts, read 6,648 times
Yes. We've heard it's less than IL

But I don't no how NC unemployment is calculated, when coming from another state. When he was transferred from OH to IL, I was eligible and it was based on IL rules & regulations. I won't be eligible this time, though.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:35 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Yes. We've heard it's less than IL

But I don't no how NC unemployment is calculated, when coming from another state. When he was transferred from OH to IL, I was eligible and it was based on IL rules & regulations. I won't be eligible this time, though.
If it's vital to your family, get the details.

Unemployment in NC was recently cut in both weekly amount and duration of benefits. Check to see if IL rates will carry across instead of NC rates.

The current legislature is very pro business and anti worker. Tax changes last year gave breaks to the wealthy and business by shafting moderate income workers and retirees. Workers compensation is awful and some companies fail to insure employees with no real penalty when caught. Injured employees in these cases wind up in shelters with no support unless Social Security disability picks them up after many delays.

Unless the rats in power are flushed in the next election, things will only get worse. All the legislature cares about is attracting businesses here with bribes and anti worker rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary