Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2015, 04:59 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
White privilege is an artificial construct created by progressives??? Anyone who says it's not at least somewhat advantageous to be white in America is just being dishonest,to put it mildly! If you are stopped by the police for example. You can rest assured it's not just because you're white.
Right, exactly.

People who deny white privilege have their heads in the sand.

I'd like to point out that you chastised me on here for posting about race and you said not everything's about race (when the issue clearly was).

But hey, I agree with you here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 09:15 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
White privilege is an artificial construct created by Progressives to divide people along racial lines and to create an excuse to oppose viewpoints or actions. Nothing more. Perhaps the Chapel Hill parents should have asked for context and waited for the facts to come in instead of jumping to conclusions and attempting to destroy a teen's life.
Paul J. Martin: Crime and race in Durham | News & Observer News & Observer

Maybe this article can illustrate the point a little better. Btw I've had to deal with a lot of the issues. In my youth. The part about trying to go to work on expired tags,because you didn't have the money for repairs. So you get pulled over,eventually your license is suspended,so forth and so on. All because you live in a high crime area. I live that about 20 years ago.

Now that I live in a mixed but mostly white neighborhood/part of town. I sometimes forget to renew my tags for MONTHS. I never have a problem. I wonder why?

Old 05-10-2015, 08:15 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,544 times
Quote:
White privilege is an artificial construct created by progressives??? Anyone who says it's not at least somewhat advantageous to be white in America is just being dishonest,to put it mildly! If you are stopped by the police for example. You can rest assured it's not just because you're white.
So what you are saying is that minorities are unable to make it on their own. I have 30 years' worth of minority supervisors, managers and CEOs that prove you wrong. The only advantages a person has are the ones they earn themselves.

Quote:

Maybe this article can illustrate the point a little better. Btw I've had to deal with a lot of the issues. In my youth. The part about trying to go to work on expired tags,because you didn't have the money for repairs. So you get pulled over,eventually your license is suspended,so forth and so on. All because you live in a high crime area. I live that about 20 years ago.

Now that I live in a mixed but mostly white neighborhood/part of town. I sometimes forget to renew my tags for MONTHS. I never have a problem. I wonder why?
A high crime area means a larger police presence and an expired tag is an expired tag. I don't get the "no money for repairs" since NC didn't have inspections linked with registration 20 years ago. It also takes quite a few infractions before your license is suspended. The cops check at the beginning of every month for expired tags regardless of location.

Policing patterns have also changed in the last 20 years so the comparison to where you live now is invalid. If you have expired tags the cops will pull you over and cite you. That being said, purposefully targeting a low income area for revenue generation is wrong.

Last edited by netbrad; 05-10-2015 at 08:24 PM..

Old 05-10-2015, 08:44 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
So what you are saying is that minorities are unable to make it on their own. I have 30 years' worth of minority supervisors, managers and CEOs that prove you wrong. The only advantages a person has are the ones they earn themselves.

A high crime area means a larger police presence and an expired tag is an expired tag. I don't get the "no money for repairs" since NC didn't have inspections linked with registration 20 years ago. It also takes quite a few infractions before your license is suspended. The cops check at the beginning of every month for expired tags regardless of location.

Policing patterns have also changed in the last 20 years so the comparison to where you live now is invalid. If you have expired tags the cops will pull you over and cite you. That being said, purposefully targeting a low income area for revenue generation is wrong.
This is an incredibly naive and misinformed mindset.

That's like saying "I know someone who survived cancer; therefore cancer isn't deadly; it all depends on if someone is determined to beat it".

Yes; integrity and hard work are imperative for one to succeed in any career and in life in general; just like determination and keeping up with strict medical regimens are imperative to beating cancer (or any other deadly disease). That doesn't mean that society doesn't generally favor white people or that cancer isn't a deadly disease. People can overcome racial biases and people can overcome diseases; it doesn't mean that they don't exist. One can do everything "right" and still be held back by circumstances beyond their control. I agree that you should never give up; but acknowledging said circumstances is not making excuses or giving up.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:28 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Quote:
Well that's an interesting debate style - make up something the prior poster never actually said, and then claim that the thing they never said is wrong. Guaranteed never to lose that debate!

This thread is turning into a topic worthy of P&OC.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:01 AM

386 posts, read 605,883 times
I think we're at a point where we need to kill/freeze this thread.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:05 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbctong View Post
I think we're at a point where we need to kill/freeze this thread.
Wait! Wait for Me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McIxMlOXbS0

Old 05-12-2015, 08:28 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,544 times
In before the thread gets Frozen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU

Old 05-13-2015, 08:12 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
Well, I didn't want to see a huge debate, but I guess I'm not too surprised.....

Old 05-16-2015, 04:24 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
As I stated in my previous post...I never thought of the confederate flag as anything but just a southern redneck thing. This coming from someone (me) that has lived in NC since I was 3 years old.

Yes, I am surprised by so many of you that have the perception that the confederate flag is more of a racist thing.

So...I've been asking people...lots of people.

And I have to tell you...most of the people that are from this area have the same perception that I do...it is merely a redneck thing.

But...many of the people that I ask that are from up North seem to consider it more of a racist thing.

Interesting. Perception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary