Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2015, 05:49 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,316,689 times

Advertisements

Vicki, I have lived in NC longer than you have I bet (born and raised here) and I do think it's racist now or at least the person who would display it doesn't care if someone views them as racist which is pretty much the same thing. And I say that as a person who has relatives who live at a Civil War historical site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 06:26 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,916,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

And I have to tell you...most of the people that are from this area have the same perception that I do...it is merely a redneck thing.
That's what I thought...just a redneck thing...you know, "the south will rise again" kind of thing. Not racist...or not that I saw.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:11 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,226,183 times
Poggly Woggly...the interesting thing is that today I was at the beach and guess what I saw...2 little boys playing on a raft that looks like the confederate flag! And guess what, they weren't Caucasian.

As I was speaking to their parents, I asked what they thought and where they were from. Yes, my husband is right...I'll talk to anyone about anything!

Their parents thought the same thing that I did. They were from Kinston. But...the raft was old and was given to them and "dad" said if he were going to buy a raft, that probably wasn't the one he would have bought!

But I see your point...there are some that view the confederate flag as racist and based on that, many people are offended by it. By the way, I do not own anything with the confederate flag on it. Good to hear other people's opinions...sometimes!

Old 05-17-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Poggly Woggly...the interesting thing is that today I was at the beach and guess what I saw...2 little boys playing on a raft that looks like the confederate flag! And guess what, they weren't Caucasian.
That doesn't surprise me. Some people don't pay much attention to the confederate flag. Maybe it depends on how you are raised...or the region where you're from.

I never owned a confederate flag. Many years ago I bought a cigarette lighter on a fishing pier that had the flag painted on both sides...only because it was all they had at the time. I rarely used it after that fishing trip. I'm sure I threw it away sometime later.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:32 PM

5 posts, read 6,325 times
This is an interesting yet short sited conversation. What is it about southern heritage thats being celebrated by the flying of that flag. At a minimum its about treason. The same people that fly this flag claim to be more American than anyone else. To me the flag means hatred. I am not going to say that I have experienced overt racism. But what I can say is I cant trace my family back further that the early 1900's. So to my grandmothers grandmother the flag meant that she was nothing...had. no rights couldn't own a home..or obtain anything in life. To my grandfather's grandfather the flag meant that he wasn't a man...he could defend himself or his family...he didn't have an outlet for his grievances. So the southern heritage that I know of is not to be celebrated...it should be a sign of shame...but thats asking too much..so I see it as a sign of ignorance and fear. Fear of a country that continues to change with a goal of a more perfect union.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:03 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,619,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_1997 View Post
This is an interesting yet short sited conversation. What is it about southern heritage thats being celebrated by the flying of that flag. At a minimum its about treason. The same people that fly this flag claim to be more American than anyone else. To me the flag means hatred. I am not going to say that I have experienced overt racism. But what I can say is I cant trace my family back further that the early 1900's. So to my grandmothers grandmother the flag meant that she was nothing...had. no rights couldn't own a home..or obtain anything in life. To my grandfather's grandfather the flag meant that he wasn't a man...he could defend himself or his family...he didn't have an outlet for his grievances. So the southern heritage that I know of is not to be celebrated...it should be a sign of shame...but thats asking too much..so I see it as a sign of ignorance and fear. Fear of a country that continues to change with a goal of a more perfect union.
+1

I'll add that I don't disagree about the rednecks argument from other posters. But, my experience with the majority of the rednecks I've encountered over the years is that most of them are extremely racist and ignorant. Just my .02.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:06 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,374,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_1997 View Post
You're certainly entitled to your feelings. However, much of what you say is "short sited". Slavery was legal, and existed, in non-Confederacy states too. And the Dred Scott case meant that blacks had no citizenship rights anywhere in the US. Its not as if the Union states were some kind of utopia of equality and freedom.

Old Glory could be viewed as a sign of treason against against the English Crown, who was the rightful ruler of the colonies, and in fact, many people of the time thought that. I'm sure many native-Americans react to the US flag similarly to the way you react to the "confederate flag". Does that keep you from flying the US flag?

History is rarely simple, and attempting to make it so, and place one group of people in to the "bad" side and one into the "good" side just doesn't work.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:00 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,924,304 times
“History is written by the victors.”

― Winston S. Churchill

Old 06-29-2015, 07:13 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,487,480 times
Y'all seeing any flags around town due to the recent controversy? I've already seen a couple, mainly in areas of North Raleigh close to Falls Lake (license plates, bumper stickers).

Old 06-29-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Y'all seeing any flags around town due to the recent controversy? I've already seen a couple, mainly in areas of North Raleigh close to Falls Lake (license plates, bumper stickers).
Not here, but I'm seeing flags now around Myrtle Beach. They seem to be popular with young guys flying the flag on the back of 4x4's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary