Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 11:34 PM

34 posts, read 90,850 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

My husband and I are considering a move to Wake Forest possibly. A job looks very promising for him in the North Raleigh area, and if it was to work out, I want to get some info regarding the schools. Just know that we are not planning to move unless a job works out first, we're not being foolish here. We would be moving from Franklin Tennessee.

Ok, so I would really love if someone could break down the schools in Wake County and in particular Wake Forest for me. I have a 3 1/2 year old son and if we were to move, he would eventually start school there. I am super concerned about what I've read about kids being plucked out of their schools and sent to another school far away. I don't know why that's done (if it is done) and I want to know how common that is if you can tell me. Also I am really not excited about the year round schooling. Is that a choice? Or does all of Wake CO do that? If it is a choice, and you choose to go to schools that don't do year round is that why your child might be taken from their school and bussed to another one? I am just so confused about all of it. Is it not that big of a deal? From an outsider looking in, the idea of a child being in an elementary school for 4 straight years and then suddenly being told they are going to be assigned to a different one sounds awful.

We visited Raleigh a couple years ago and saw Clayton and really liked it's small town feel. Clayton is also in consideration, but I know the commute would be tough. Our eventual budget for a home would be under $320k, 3 beds 2 bath, at least 2000 sq ft and on at least an acre. I know Clayton gives us more bang for the buck as well. Also, Clayton and WF aren't the only places we'd consider I'm sure, it's just the two I can really think of for now before we are there.

We would want to rent for 6 or so months while we really looked around, did the commute drive a few times to get a real life feel of it and just see some towns in action before we made a decision on where to end up. Before then, I thought yall on here could give me some great starter advice.

THANK YOU so much in advance for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 05:11 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie86Bos View Post
. I am super concerned about what I've read about kids being plucked out of their schools and sent to another school far away.

)
Can I ask where you've read this? I would love to see a link. We keep seeing people post this, but as far as I know it's never happened. Did this district bus for diversity at one time? Yes, it did. Were people from Wake Forest being shipped off to Cary and Garner for school? No. They weren't. And that policy ended a few years ago anyway.

If this was factually read somewhere within the last 3 months I'd love to see it.

A lot of your questions can be answered here:

http://www.wcpss.net/Domain/36

Old 03-19-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Can I ask where you've read this? I would love to see a link. We keep seeing people post this, but as far as I know it's never happened. Did this district bus for diversity at one time? Yes, it did. Were people from Wake Forest being shipped off to Cary and Garner for school? No. They weren't. And that policy ended a few years ago anyway.

If this was factually read somewhere within the last 3 months I'd love to see it.

A lot of your questions can be answered here:

Student Assignment / Overview
I have read threads on here talking about it, but I can't find those exact ones anymore. Wikipedia has this about it, although I know Wiki isn't always the most accurate. But that's why I really would love some residents input

Here it is from Wikipedia;

The Wake County Public School System made headlines in 2006 and 2007 for converting 19 elementary schools and three middle schools to a mandatory year-round calendar. It put more than a third of the elementary schools on the year-round calendar starting in July 2007. The decision was unpopular with some families who argued that the calendar switch should've been voluntary.[16] The switch to a year-round calendar in many schools has led to some unanticipated needs. For example, PTA chapters at some of the affected schools have considered the purchase of sun shades for playgrounds to provide shelter for students during North Carolina's hot and humid summer months.[17]
A group of parents sued[18] to block the school system from converting the schools.[19] In May 2007, Judge Howard Manning ruled that the school system may offer a year-round calendar, but that it must obtain informed consent from a student's parents before assigning the students to a year-round school. Approximately 9% of the affected students did not consent and were assigned to a traditional calendar school.[20] As a result, many year-round schools have empty seats and many traditional-calendar schools remain overcrowded.[21] In May 2008, the North Carolina Court of Appeals overturned the lower court decision, ruling that Wake does not need parental permission for students to attend year-round schools, but the State Supreme Court School agreed to hear the case and stayed the appellate decision until it makes a ruling.[22] District leaders sought consent for the 2008-09 school year but do not plan to do so the following year (2009–10).[23]
In October 2008, the school board voted to convert Baucom Elementary in Apex and Green Hope Elementary in Cary back to the traditional calendar, citing a less than expected increase in enrollment. Salem Elementary in Apex was also considered for conversion back to a traditional calendar but that move was voted against by the board. Also at that same meeting, the board voted to convert Leesville Road Middle in North Raleigh to a year-round calendar.[24]
In May 2009, the state Supreme Court ruled that parental consent is not needed to send students to year-round schools.[25] As a result, the school board decided to no longer seek consent.[26] But the election of new school board members in October 2009, who said they opposed mandatory year-round schools, caused the district to go back to asking parents for permission.[27]

Old 03-19-2015, 10:32 AM

I was talking about busing. And I don't consider any of those dates recent in that article (not trying to Pick a fight I am just curious why we have a spate of recent posts asking about busing).

The link I provided should give you insight into assignment including traditional v. Year round.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:16 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I was talking about busing. And I don't consider any of those dates recent in that article (not trying to Pick a fight I am just curious why we have a spate of recent posts asking about busing).

The link I provided should give you insight into assignment including traditional v. Year round.
Maybe the inquirers are from NJ wondering if the 2 NJ transplants formerly running WCPSS got their way in breaking WCPSS into sub-districts by area.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:07 PM

No, I am from Tennessee. That's fine if you don't think that info is relevant, but if there are recent posts about it then people are definitely seeing stuff they have questions about, including me. I know youre not picking a fight, but I really would love real people who have kids or neighbors who have kids currently in the schools to tell me what is the reality of what is happening.

Thank you for that link, I have visited that website as well. I am just looking for some input from people who are living it now. If I were there, I would walk around town and try to ask someone about the school in casual conversation. I was kinda hoping through city data I could get the same thing virtually.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:13 PM

441 posts, read 1,291,781 times
I think your challenge will be the housing not the schools, 320 for house and 1 acre will move you to the outer areas, if you cut your acre to 1/4 you will have more options in town

Old 03-19-2015, 03:22 PM

I do see a couple nice homes in and around my price range in WF, but that is not the only town I think we'd consider within the Wake CO area.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:28 PM

OK, here's how it works in a nutshell.

You live at an address. You are assigned two schools - a base school and a calendar option. Your base school may be a traditional or year round (YR) calendar. Your calendar option will be the opposite. For example, where I live my base option is a traditional calendar school so the calendar option is YR. Make sense? If you aren't happy with your base school's calendar, you can enroll at your calendar option. Believe it or not, there are people who loooove the YR option, so no worries about being forced into it.

If your base school is capped, and you did not move in before the "cap date", then you get sent to an overflow school. The overflow school will be a school that is close to you - not halfway across the county.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:40 PM

306 posts, read 719,846 times
Please don't discount YR until you understand it fully. It's the same number of days, just broken up differently. You go approx 9 weeks and then have a 3 week break. Different tracks break at different times--at a YR school, one of the tracks is always tracked out (on break). Since the school is never full with all four tracks, the theory is that it can hold more students.

My kids were year round until my son reached HS. Then we transferred my daughter to a traditional middle so they would have the same calendar. But we loved it while it lasted. Breaks throughout the year meant travel to different (and less costly) locations.

I have experienced both Track 2 and Track 4. Both worked for us at the time we were in them. Is it different? Absolutely. Does it work for everyone? Absolutely not. But take it from someone who LOVED it: it's not as bad as you are thinking.

Best of luck in your move and welcome to the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary