U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:53 AM

38 posts, read 148,241 times

Advertisements

My daughter has received her 2nd speeding ticket in Wake county. The attorney that she hired has suggested that she complete 20 hours of community service prior to her court date in February in the hopes that the judge might go easier on her. Any suggestions? Most places seem to require a bit of training, etc before you can actually start doing the work and she only has a few weeks to complete this. BTW, we are in the Southpoint/Chapel Hill area.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:02 AM

3,861 posts, read 9,271,586 times
I don't know any volunteer positions available, but you can postpone " continue" the court date to give her more time. Unless it was way over the speed limit, I would just plea it down to 9 over so it doesn't affect insurance premiums and pay the fine.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:50 AM

5,527 posts, read 8,773,033 times
Volunteer Opportunities in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC

Check out the above link. It is from VolunteerMatch: Where Volunteering Begins

Or you can try the City of Raleigh as well

City of Raleigh | Volunteer Parks & Recreation Opportunities (http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_306_209_0_43/http;/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Leisure/Job_Opportunities/Volunteer/Cat-Index.html - broken link)

Old 01-14-2008, 09:55 AM

145 posts, read 512,438 times
Default Wake Co Animal Shelter Needs You!

The Wake County Animal Shelter needs volunteers desperately they only have 15 or so that are active, it's very rewarding but you do have to attend a training class before you can start.

WakeGOV.com - Volunteer Orientation

Moderator cut: removed

Last edited by autumngal; 01-15-2008 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: any type of soliciting is against TOS, sorry

Old 01-14-2008, 12:55 PM

836 posts, read 3,093,674 times
The Food Bank always is in need of bodies, I think, for sorting, etc. Doesn't take much training.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:51 PM

2,135 posts, read 6,832,871 times
How about volunteering in a local hospital? I would think that being around sick people would help make her think twice about the dangers of speending. Although I'm sure you have already lectured her

Old 01-14-2008, 06:59 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,809,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilligan View Post
My daughter has received her 2nd speeding ticket in Wake county. The attorney that she hired has suggested that she complete 20 hours of community service prior to her court date in February in the hopes that the judge might go easier on her. Any suggestions? Most places seem to require a bit of training, etc before you can actually start doing the work and she only has a few weeks to complete this. BTW, we are in the Southpoint/Chapel Hill area.
I would try the YMCA, they are used to volunteers who are trying to get community service hours, and it is usually stuff where you don't need a lot of training.

Leigh

Old 01-14-2008, 06:59 PM

38 posts, read 148,241 times
Indeed I have. Unfortunately, the hospitals require an application, health screening, orientation, training, etc. She needs to start doing her time ASAP if she intends to get it done before her court date.

>
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
How about volunteering in a local hospital? I would think that being around sick people would help make her think twice about the dangers of speending. Although I'm sure you have already lectured her

Old 01-14-2008, 07:01 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,578,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilligan View Post
I would suggest volunteering at a hospital. It might be especially helpful if she is able to work with patients who are injured due to car accidents. I'm not saying this to be harsh. But if it were my daughter I would want her to understand that the consequences of speeding is sometimes death or injury to yourself or others.

BTW, my daughter is only 5 and this weekend she expressed some very troubling views about excessive speed & motorcycles. (We do not know anyone w/ a motorcycle so I have no idea where she gets this). So I imagine that in 10 years I will be looking for similar volunteer work to ease the lead foot.

Edit: Ooops... sorry.... you already got this suggestion. Good luck finding something.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:14 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,803,020 times
I'd call a church day care or nursery. I don't think there's any official training involved and I think they always need help. You could just explain the situation to them and I'm sure someone will take her on. AlLso, I don't think the food bank requires a lot of training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary