Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 03:07 PM

9,141 posts, read 14,717,969 times

Advertisements

MarDon has a Website. MarDon Construction, Inc. - Home

Not mega detailed, but its there. Can't find any results on the GC Licensing board site, but their search is not always 100% accurate. Searched on the names at the NC secretary of state site and got someone in Wilmington that's probably not them, so a decent chance they have no GC license any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 06:46 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,022,563 times
Well at least we learned the Mardon house is custom not tract.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:41 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Well at least we learned the Mardon house is custom not tract.
I was over on Green Hope School Road yesterday. Fryar's Gate (the Lennar community) has a ton of townhouses in a big "wall" along the entry to the neighborhood. It's not remotely welcoming, in my opinion.

Highcroft Village is better planned with more attractive homes. Resales go contingent very quickly there.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:55 AM

6,356 posts, read 5,450,813 times
$400k house on .1 acre lot?!

We really are turning into Long Island!

I don't quite understand why the new construction house is $390 when the neighborhood is $320k-$370k. Seems like you'd be overpaying. Owning the most expensive house in a neighborhood typically means it will be harder to sell down the road.

2012 is still relatively new and the neighborhood is more established. You also won't have to hear construction noise or deal with red-clay-mud all over the neighborhood like you would with a neighborhood that is still under construction too.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:30 AM

248 posts, read 493,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I can't stand the claustrophobic feeling of having homes so close together. I can understand tolerating it in situations like affordable housing, townhomes etc. but to pay a premium for a house just for cutesy exterior on a postage stamp seems nuts to me.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:35 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,177 posts, read 76,826,386 times
Quote:

I don't quite understand why the new construction house is $390 when the neighborhood is $320k-$370k. Seems like you'd be overpaying. Owning the most expensive house in a neighborhood typically means it will be harder to sell down the road.

2012 is still relatively new and the neighborhood is more established. You also won't have to hear construction noise or deal with red-clay-mud all over the neighborhood like you would with a neighborhood that is still under construction too.
Welcome to Mordecai!

Sorry, but you are priced out of Oakwood.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:45 AM

5,062 posts, read 3,681,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokijoo View Post
I can't stand the claustrophobic feeling of having homes so close together. I can understand tolerating it in situations like affordable housing, townhomes etc. but to pay a premium for a house just for cutesy exterior on a postage stamp seems nuts to me.
Isn't it? I just bought and the lot is .18 which seems pretty small to me. Its not that bad in that the front yard is rather wide across the front while the backyard is smaller than I would like. At least it backs up onto a common area which gives the appearance of being quite a bit larger. No way I would fence the property in given the current size. At my age I wouldn't want to cut much more than .25 acre anyway.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:16 AM

6,356 posts, read 5,450,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Welcome to Mordecai!

Sorry, but you are priced out of Oakwood.
In Oakwood, Mardecai, Cameron Park etc. you are paying a premium for location of being near downtown and within walking distance of shops, restaurants; etc. Also the historical aspect comes into play for many people.

I understand paying a premium for new construction as well; but when you are talking about the fringe of a large suburban town like Cary it does seem a little ridiculous to pay that much money for a postage-stamp sized lot. I don't doubt there is some demand for that type of development but it seems to be ALL that they are building around here these days.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:39 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,167,969 times
Quote:
In Oakwood, Mardecai, Cameron Park etc. you are paying a premium for location of being near downtown and within walking distance of shops, restaurants; etc. Also the historical aspect comes into play for many people.

I understand paying a premium for new construction as well; but when you are talking about the fringe of a large suburban town like Cary it does seem a little ridiculous to pay that much money for a postage-stamp sized lot. I don't doubt there is some demand for that type of development but it seems to be ALL that they are building around here these days.
West Cary is a stone's throw from RTP.

That's the other premium people are willing to pay, aside from "good schools" and "new house."

Old 03-29-2015, 01:38 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,177 posts, read 76,826,386 times
Quote:

With raw land selling at $100,000--$150,000/acre, or even more, land prices are driving costs of new construction.
If a developer pays $100,000/acre for 20 raw acres, and develops infrastructure to build 20 homes on half acre lots, those are $300,000 lots.
Million dollar homes would be required to make it feasible for the developer.
That is why the $400,000 market is a tiny lot market. And with buyers in the market actively supporting those lot sizes, it is not likely to change soon.

I have a 1/3 acre lot and feel like a rancher or land baron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary