U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-14-2008, 06:53 PM

242 posts, read 749,209 times
Default Transporting Cars Cross Country ?

Question to those who have moved cross country and have multiple vehicles. Did you drive them to your new home state, drive 1 and transport others, etc. We have 2 cars (mine is a Vette and my Wife's is a Minivan) and will be moving from NY to Clayton NC within the next several weeks. My original plan was to leave my Corvette with a relative here, drive down with the wife and our 2 Dogs (1 large Lab Mix and 1 Sheltie whose large for the breed) in the Mini-Van, leave them there to start setting up, fly back up to NY to get my Vette and drive it down myself. This would be cheaper and would keep the Vette in my own control. However, my wife broke her ankle in several places and required surgery last week putting a severe kink into our plans as we really don't have much in the way of family or friends in NC yet (at least ones physically close enough to impose upon). She cannot do much and cannot put any weight on it for a good 6 to 8 weeks or so at best).

I am curious if anyone who frequents this forum have moved cross country and shipped a car such as a Vette or a similar prized car and has a recommendation of a trustworthy auto transportation company and an idea of what it might cost to ship from Suffolk County, Long Island to Clayton NY ?

Thanks in Advance to all responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 07:54 PM

30 posts, read 81,822 times
Hi Andy, sorry to hear about your wife, but I have heard of the snow birds putting their cars on Amtrack, not sure if they have to be traveling with vehicle or not, also what about towing vette behind minivan (also not sure about weights), but I have seen the cars being towed behind Uhauls, just a thought and good luck with your move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary