Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 08:25 AM

634 posts, read 912,340 times

Advertisements

Apologies dp - those aren't my trees. I just hunted around for a picture that might approximate what the OP has (well, at least while they were alive).

From what I gather, while they grow and fill out fast they're short-lived (25-30 years).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 07:14 AM

770 posts, read 2,753,178 times
My neighbor and I have a shared boundary that is delineated with cypress. They gave us a little piece of their land and we paid to have 4 trees removed. It cost $800 including removal and stump grinding. I think with economy of scale and there being no aggravating factors, you could look at paying @$1700 , at a guess.
The company was Cary Tree Removal and Stump Grinding , the boss was a guy called Isael. They were good clean workers

Old 04-02-2015, 08:23 AM

166 posts, read 418,861 times
Get a quote from Leaf & Limb Tree Service... Tree Care Service & Tree Removal | Raleigh Cary Durham NC | Leaf & Limb Tree Service

A few years back, I had them grind a stump for me and it only cost $50.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:40 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
^^^FWIW, I contacted them once to get a quote on a job after seeing a recommendation on here, and they never responded to me. A year and some procrastination later, I did the job myself.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:51 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
I would buy a nice chainsaw and do it myself. There are many videos online that show you how to make the appropriate cuts and control where a tree falls. I bet the deductible on your insurance is less than $3,625 you know, just in case.

I removed several pine trees that were growing near my parents privacy fence. I was able to control each one so none fell on it. That was my first time cutting down trees like that too. Seriously it's not that hard. Have the pros remove the one that's close to the house and you do the rest.

I agree to this. A Leyland Cypress isnt an Oak or even a pine with branches that need to be carefully removed before you get to the trunk. Cleanup would be the biggest hassle. Just took down some overgrown spindly pine/cypress things with arms that reached out that builder planted right next to house, when the snow storm broke a few branches. They were ~25ft high and it was a piece of cake - actually de-branched and felled them with a reciprocating saw because neighbor wasn't home with his chainsaw.

OP, Do you have a firepit and a place to store the wood while it seasons? I would attack it with a chainsaw, some ropes and helpers to pull the trees in the direction you want them to fall. That being said, if you dont feel comfortable, that quote isnt completely unreasonable, especially of they haul it all away.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:08 AM

166 posts, read 418,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
I would buy a nice chainsaw and do it myself.
I think there are places where you can rent a chainsaw. No point in buying one if you don't see yourself ever using it again.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:04 PM

286 posts, read 749,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
My neighbor and I have a shared boundary that is delineated with cypress. They gave us a little piece of their land and we paid to have 4 trees removed. It cost $800 including removal and stump grinding. I think with economy of scale and there being no aggravating factors, you could look at paying @$1700 , at a guess.
The company was Cary Tree Removal and Stump Grinding , the boss was a guy called Isael. They were good clean workers

I had Isael and crew removes some trees a couple of years ago.....company was Amigo Tree Service Cary.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:00 PM

770 posts, read 2,753,178 times
I believe Isael has started a new company up Tree Amigo's (LOL) was his brothers company, I believe

Old 04-03-2015, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 11,036 times
Thanks guys for the recommendations. I've called up a few other services and will get some more quotes in the next week or so.

By the way, here's a picture of the one that's pretty much uprooted and leaning on the house already.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:47 PM

634 posts, read 912,340 times
Looks like a job for a bucket truck, if they can get one back in there.

Odd growth pattern - how close were they planted together?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary