Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 10:51 AM

10 posts, read 9,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Crystal ball says you're not going to like it here. I'll strongly suggest renting!

I hope that isn't the case - the wife's job is her dream, so we're here for the long haul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
$200,000 in Cary won't get you much. Maybe 1300-1700 sf, no garage, built in the 1970's and in need of updating.
Eat it (couldn't help myself).

I'm kind of glad to hear it. Cary sounded nice, but boring.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:57 AM

826 posts, read 1,932,754 times
If you have the ability to rent for a year, I would. Then you can really figure out what part of the area you would like to live in, i.e. Southwest Raleigh, ITB (inside the beltline), Cary North Raleigh. Much easier to figure out what areas appeal to you on a day to day basis when you are actually here. Plus, depending on where you find a job, you can adjust where you ultimately end up and avoid all that soul-destroying traffic (there isn't much here now but it is getting busier and certain areas are more soul-destroying than others).

Look around a little more. There are plenty of small houses near NC State for rent that would put you pretty central to lots of things and be a good base point for a year.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:55 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisSP09 View Post
Know anyone hiring former special education teachers?
Do you have the qualifications to go into private practice? EG, private speech or occupational therapy? I also suspect one could make a fortune doing ABA therapy for autistic kids. This board has seen many requests for help with kids on the autism spectrum.

It might be worth taking the time to get additional certification if the wife can support you both.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:04 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Belvedere Park.

Longview Gardens.

Brentwood.

All in Raleigh, and good access to NCSU and other cool stuff.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:24 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,766 times
I think you already know this, but DON'T teach sped here!
I'm now ebaying in place of teaching. (but now we're broke without a 2nd full time income)

Old 04-01-2015, 06:42 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,129,383 times
HIGHLY recommend Garner. Half the cost of Cary, 10 minutes from downtown Raleigh, and 15 minutes from NC State. Bigger lots, and all the perks of living in Raleigh without paying to live there.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
I think you already know this, but DON'T teach sped here!
I'm now ebaying in place of teaching. (but now we're broke without a 2nd full time income)
I don't want to teach SPED anywhere, but I'm curious, what's so bad about SPED in Raleigh?

Old 04-02-2015, 06:01 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisSP09 View Post
I don't want to teach SPED anywhere, but I'm curious, what's so bad about SPED in Raleigh?
LOL, it's not Raleigh, it's just the district. the kids were great-loved them, but they have way less people to do the jobs and way more paperwork due to less people.

For example, I did resource and would have to provide individualized instruction to 15 kids in 3 grade levels on 3 different subjects all at the same time because of the shortage of sped teachers. Then, ALL of the referrals are done by the special ed teachers. Where I came from, that was another person's job as it is a LOT of work, paperwork, reports,etc that kept me up late into the nights, neglecting my own kids. We had two other "behind the scenes" sped positions where I came from: the diagnostic teacher and spec ed supervisor. they did the paperwork, initial meetings etc for all referrals and re-evals. Here, the special ed teachers do all that and we had over 25 referrals in one school year.

Add to that that every kid that has ADHD or doesnt make adequate progress gets referred these days, the referrals just keep going up. My son's school (we are not in WAKE but Johnston Co) has the same issues and they have gone through sped teachers like crazy and continually have subs in the resource rooms. Caseloads are about 30 kids and many kids have a huge percentage of the day in the resource room. It is just very different, and draining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary