U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 06:59 AM

1,832 posts, read 2,989,610 times
I guess I'm an almost fullback then, as I am native to central and tidewater VA and just trying to get back to deciduous trees and hills and some more down-to-earth folks after 8 years in FL. I like FL fine, but my husband's job hunting and there isn't much in FL for him right now. I am ready to go on sabbatical from my job, and we wanted a great family-friendly city near family. My family is all in VA, NC and SC. Makes sense to go to Raleigh!

Hurricanes--Tampa hasn't been hit badly in the 8 years I've been there, and I know Richmond got hit really badly in that time, though in all my life on the east coast I never panicked about hurricanes the way people seem to thrive on doing in FL. Hurricanes are slow moving and there's plenty of time to evacuate in most cases, so I'll take hurricanes over earthquakes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 07:17 AM

934 posts, read 89,230 times
that's funny- I've never heard that term before! lol

learn something new every day!

Old 01-16-2008, 01:59 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,267,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightransplant View Post
I've only been through Isabel in the Raleigh area, which was fun to watch from inside but fairly tame. I do know a woman who had a tree land through her windshield due to that one (she wasn't in the car).

We arrived in 2000, so we missed when the eye of Fran came through Raleigh. I've heard that was a storm that did a real number on Raleigh. Anyone go through that and how was it?
We had been here for almost 2 years when Fran came roaring into town. Raleigh was a disaster area (i believe the president declared us in a state of emergency). Almost NOBODY escaped without having trees fall in their yard, and many weren't lucky enough to have them miss the house and/or cars. The trees were all uprooted because the ground had already been so saturated with a lot of rain the weeks before Fran came thru. Many tornadoes were spawned from the storm and caused some hefty damage as well. Crabtree Valley Mall (which was the only large mall in the area at that time, no Triangle Towne Center or Southpointe) had 8 feet of water in it, and there were cars floating in the parking lot. I believe school was closed for about a week and a half...the second longest closing because of weather after the 2 weeks they were closed because of the blizzard of 2000.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:22 PM

440 posts, read 1,169,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
NC doesn't have to deal with Hurricanes? So what were Camile, Fran, Floyd, Bertha, and Isabel? I'm pretty sure NC is second only to Florida for hurricanes. Moving to NC to from FL to get away from hurricanes would kind of be like moving from San Francisco to LA to get away from Earthquakes. haha..God's waiting room, now as horrible as that is to say, it is pretty funny.
Ok, I stand corrected on that one. I guess it seems that only Florida has had the bullseye and the big red arrow pointing to it for grabbing the attention of hurricanes in the past few years. I neglected to remember the mid to late 90s were pretty brutal for you guys (heard stories about Isobel from my dh since it hit their area too). But at least your insurance costs are still within this level of the atmosphere.

I had heard the saying before and even used it myself a few times. My dh had never heard it before I told him and was totally shocked that someone else called S. Florida by the same name. Adding on to that, we have a few 55+ communities here that are called Century Village. The local nickname of it is Cemetary Village. I have to keep myself from calling it that because my daughter's 88 1/2 year old great grandma lives there.

P.S. Thought Camille only touched Louisiana. But that was a few years before I was even thought of.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:28 PM

934 posts, read 89,230 times
isabelle didnt do too much damage here locally. It did however wipe out most of Hwy 10 on Ocracoke and Hatteras Islands.

Fran sent 6 trees through my moms house ( I was still living there) all trees went through the roof and landed on ALL of our beds. Fortunately, mom had enough foresight to make us all cram into the guest room downstairs. Water damage everywhere- gorgeous wooden privacy fence destroyed. Ironically, two trees fell right on the deck, but no damage to that- go figure! not on broken railing even! lol

She basically got a whole new house after all was said and done (though it took some time), but ended up selling a couple of years after that.

because of Fran, my husband and I (who were dating at the time, and I had JUST graduated high school) won't buy a house surrounded with pines. the roots stay, and the tops snap! Pines are fine as long as not in crashing distance of the house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary