Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 06:47 PM

3 posts, read 3,953 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Looking for any advice about the Raleigh area. I am a single, female teacher looking to move to the area for the next school year. How are the schools? Are some school districts better than others? Which towns are worth looking into surrounding Raleigh? ( I will be renting.)
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 07:09 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,146,620 times
Our school districts are mostly county-wide:

Wake County (all the Raleigh, Cary, Wake Forest, Apex, Morrisville, etc)
Durham County (Durham, etc)
Chapel Hill-Carrboro - the only municipal district
Orange County - the rest of the county Chapel Hill is located in
Johnston County - Clayton etal
Franklin County
Granville County
Chatham County
etc etc etc etc

Wake County is the biggest and a great school district for its size. Chapel HGill-Carboro is widely-recognized as the best overall, but you'd be looking at student rentals (UNC-CH).

I'd be surprised if during the time I took to write this, someone didn't tell you how "North Carolina" or "the legislature" or "evil republicans" are out to kill all teachers in the state.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:36 PM

715 posts, read 886,150 times
not sure where you are coming from but I would look into Wake County since there is opportunity unlike most Union places around the country where the old timers stay to collect the big bucks leaving the young out in the cold.. Tremendous growth here and have a feeling that taxes increase to pay the most underrated profession in this fine State.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:24 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,124,746 times
Be aware it is non-union and teachers are seriously disrespected by the legislature. A right to work for less state.

Tenure was to be eliminated last year and experience is not valued. Only want fresh teachers who will work cheap.

Health plan is crummy and very costly for families.

Look around before coming to NC.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:01 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aht78 View Post
Hi,
Looking for any advice about the Raleigh area. I am a single, female teacher looking to move to the area for the next school year. How are the schools? Are some school districts better than others? Which towns are worth looking into surrounding Raleigh? ( I will be renting.)
Thanks
Elementary Teacher, or Middle or HS?

Old 04-01-2015, 05:56 AM

703 posts, read 777,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I'd be surprised if during the time I took to write this, someone didn't tell you how "North Carolina" or "the legislature" or "evil republicans" are out to kill all teachers in the state.
And, as predicted, done. :
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Be aware it is non-union and teachers are seriously disrespected by the legislature. A right to work for less state.

Tenure was to be eliminated last year and experience is not valued. Only want fresh teachers who will work cheap.

Health plan is crummy and very costly for families.

Look around before coming to NC.
Funny how a retired IT person seems to know everything (that's bad) about the current job situation in every trade and industry. I could be wrong, but I don't seem to recall reading (m)any responses from current teachers to this or similar threads complaining about their situations. Maybe the OP should wait to hear from some of the actual teachers for more accurate and relevant information.

To the OP: In addition to the public schools, there are also plenty of private and christian schools in the area. I'd suggest that the proportion of students in private : public schools here is higher than most areas of the country.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:05 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,124,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post

Funny how a retired IT person seems to know everything (that's bad) about the current job situation in every trade and industry. I could be wrong, but I don't seem to recall reading (m)any responses from current teachers to this or similar threads complaining about their situations. Maybe the OP should wait to hear from some of the actual teachers for more accurate and relevant information.

To the OP: In addition to the public schools, there are also plenty of private and christian schools in the area. I'd suggest that the proportion of students in private : public schools here is higher than most areas of the country.
Met many teachers who agree that they are not valued well here. Hope this changes with the next elections.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:11 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post

Notice that Bo was the only poster here to offer meaningful, helpful information of any sort to the OP until you came along.
Some people build others up. Some live merely to tear others down.

In North Carolina, we need to pay teachers more. I wish we did.
At CD, it seems to me we need to answer reasonable questions with reasonable information, and not grab jollies trolling on newbies' threads.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:31 AM

615 posts, read 1,501,180 times
The first question is...can you live on @$2400 per month( after taxes)? If you think you can't, then n.C. Won't work for you.

If you can, and are willing to not be " super teacher" and not take on extra duties.....then teaching here is like everywhere else in the country and not bad at all. North Carolina is a nice place to live and very affordable compared to the rest of the country.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:53 AM

544 posts, read 850,769 times
You can do well as a principal in Wake County if you have the skills and desire. The are retiring about as fast as they can be replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary