Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:12 AM

3 posts, read 20,915 times

Advertisements

I've been nannying for a family for more than a year and started taking care of their baby when he was 5weeks. He's now 16 months and the parents want to leave him with me overnight. I work for them full time during the week and will be taking care of him from Sat. at 8:30am (dropping one of the parents at the airport with their older son) until Sun at 2pm. During waking hours I was going to charge my regular rate of $13, but I don't know what to charge during the night. He goes to sleep at 7pm and usually wakes up before 6am. He typically wakes up during the middle of the night,too. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 11:24 AM

16 posts, read 55,982 times
Hmmm..When I used to babysit overnight I would count all hours that I was there...asleep or not. I would charge $150-200. Just a thought!

Old 01-15-2008, 11:26 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,353,806 times
IMO, since you are working overtime for the couple, you should receive time-and-a-half pay for the extra hours. At least, that was the law when I had a nanny for our son a few years ago.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:32 AM

90 posts, read 296,922 times
Hi there! I'm a nurse, so most of us have babysitters that watch our kids weird hours including overnights. Luckily - my babysitters are family, though, so I can't give specifics. I can tell you that my coworkers typically pay quite a bit during 'sleeping' times. I think it probably should be influenced by your relationship with this family, but as a mom and as someone who could be in that situation, I would expect to definitely pay more to have you getting up at 3am!

You might think about suggesting "sleep time" as 10 hours and then charge $7 for those, then charge $13 for the remaining 21.5 hours. That gives you an hour (hopefully) of 'awake' pay for when he gets up.

Then see what the family says.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:33 AM

90 posts, read 296,922 times
By the way, I am basing the lower rate on what most agencies seem to do for overnights... if you think the family can/will pay more, I think you should ask for more.

I certainly think it is WORTH more. Seriously.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:50 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,689,797 times
I don't know what the "going rate" is for this, but my initial reaction (for what it's worth) is that you have the same responsibility (and it's a great responsibility) at night as you do during the day. That child is no less in your care at night, so the rate should be the same. Just my truly uninformed outsider's opinion.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:33 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,128,456 times
I used to work with a guy that was always trying to have one of us come over and watch his kids while him and his wife went away for mini-trips. He was asking us because he would have to pay his regular nanny overtime. He hired the nanny through an agency. So the labor laws applied.

Last edited by JJingle; 01-15-2008 at 05:47 PM..

Old 01-15-2008, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 8,096 times
I agree with most here who think your normal rate or an even higher rate should apply for asleep hours. I am a new mom and will soon have to face this question myself, so I appreciate everyone's thoughts as well.

What is the going rate in our area for a babysitter? I will have a sitter take care of my daughter when I return to work and we are currently negotiating the rate. Any thoughts?

Old 01-15-2008, 06:29 PM

3 posts, read 20,915 times
Default current rate for babysitter

Carymom, I would say the rate depends on the age of the child and whether your sitter will be full time or part time. When I was part time for my 5 week old client, I charged $12/hour. When I became full time, I increased my rate to $13/hr. I work over 40 hours a week and sometimes have both the toddler and his 7 yr old brother at the same time. They also give me $50 a month to go towards health insurance. Hope that helps.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:46 PM

655 posts, read 916,342 times
If you have small children too young to communicate, best be investing in a "nanny cam" You can find them on ebay for about $30-$40. They can be hidden anywhere and are not noticable. My sister's kid was abused by her nanny. And the family thought their nanny was perfect.

You folks are talking about paying $150-$200 a night for a nanny? These are very high wages for unskilled job. At this rate, you can and should demand the VERY best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary