Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 07:39 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Wow. Gas costs that much?

I've only put gas in a tank twice in the past year. I never have a clue what is or isn't a good price.

I used the same tank of premium for over 6 months. I guess I'm glad I don't have to pay to fill a tank regularly, then.
Electric car or just don't drive often?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 07:43 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Ki2Win View Post
Just a post to point out to those living in West Cary that the two most convenient stations - the Dolphin at 55 and Green Hope School and the Marathon at 55 and Carpenter Fire Station are typically 15 cents per gallon higher than those further south on 55. I have to admit I usually don't shop around for gas but at 15 cents per gallon it seems worth it to drive a mile down the road. Just passing this along to save you all some money.

There's always one.

We have a BP station up the road which is priced at $2.899/gallon. His competitors (Safeway, WaWa and Shell) range from $2.459 (Safeway for non-card holders or credit customers) to $2.329 (both WaWa and Shell. Safeway has cents off credits up to a dollar/gallon for grocery customers.)

Old 04-05-2015, 08:08 AM

86 posts, read 153,693 times
Higher traveled area's charge higher prices, that is normal and has always been the case.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:52 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
You should top off your tank more often to prevent condensation. Does your car ever have a hard time starting?
Nope. Never. It's a plug-in electric hybrid. If I do happen to run out of charge and the gas kicks in to charge the battery (that's how the ICE works in a Volt) it has no problems. Car is already running. I just rarely need to use any gas and I get over 40 mpg the few miles I use gas.

We try to keep them around 1/2-1/4 tank. No need to keep more in there unless taking a long trip. I've yet to do that in my current Volt. It's not quite a year old, though.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Awe, now you're just bragging!

I never drive out of my way to fill up, at the higher prices, even 10-15 cents per gallon gets eaten up quickly by driving just a few miles away. But what I do is I will fill up if I see a good price and if i'm below half a tank. Once I get below 1/4 tank I jump on the first decent price.

As illustrated above, even if there is a big discrepency within a couple of miles, if you are in other parts of town, you can almost always find gas at a competitive price. Also, the new Sheetz should bring some competition. They always start very low, and then stay reasonable. Are they open yet? (I don't drive that way very often)
Nah. I don't miss needing gas, though.

I never rode around looking for lower prices for gas when I did drive a car that required it. I pretty much did what you described above.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Electric car or just don't drive often?
Plug-in electric hybrid, actually. Also, I don't drive too much because my car will be a year old in May and I have just under 9k miles on it.

My husband's is even better. He's got around 3k on his and it's more than a year old. He only drives it to work, really. We drive mine more often. We both have free charging at work.

It's convenient.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:11 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,588 times
Quote:
Nah. I don't miss needing gas, though.

I never rode around looking for lower prices for gas when I did drive a car that required it. I pretty much did what you described above.
I do it out of principal. One of my cars happened to be tuned on shell 93 oct and I've filled up at Bunkey's for the past 11.5 years with that car. 5-10 cents is OK, close to 40c and they're just ripping people off.
If I were gas-cost sensitive I'd stop buying turbo cars that have higher rated HP on 93. I'm rip-off sensitive

Old 04-05-2015, 10:36 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
I just filled up at the Shell/McDonalds at the corner of High House and Cary Parkway.

Premium was $2.809.

I fill at Bunkey's when using the carwash, but only use regular gas.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I do it out of principal. One of my cars happened to be tuned on shell 93 oct and I've filled up at Bunkey's for the past 11.5 years with that car. 5-10 cents is OK, close to 40c and they're just ripping people off.
If I were gas-cost sensitive I'd stop buying turbo cars that have higher rated HP on 93. I'm rip-off sensitive
Yeah. It's weird when 2 stations with pretty much an equal product offering vary wildly on price. I won't pay that if I can avoid it.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:37 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
Quote:
Nope. Never. It's a plug-in electric hybrid. If I do happen to run out of charge and the gas kicks in to charge the battery (that's how the ICE works in a Volt) it has no problems. Car is already running. I just rarely need to use any gas and I get over 40 mpg the few miles I use gas.

We try to keep them around 1/2-1/4 tank. No need to keep more in there unless taking a long trip. I've yet to do that in my current Volt. It's not quite a year old, though.
The issue you may face down the road(no pun intended) is when your ICE engine starts and sucks in water. Keeping your tank topped off helps prevent this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary