Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 02:13 PM

656 posts, read 1,208,127 times

Advertisements

I have a sloppy backyard and we don't use it much, but we get lots of weeds and cleaning them is a pain....so wondering if i can plant large tall perenials (with pretty flowers of course , not roses) so they will not provide sunlight to the weeds....any thoughts...

I like to buy this rose of sharon: 3-in-1 Rose of Sharon - See three colors from one plant!

Where to buy these, I am not ready to buy online, farmers market etc ?

any other suggestions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 03:34 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,220 times
Do you mean "sloping" backyard? Most people don't describe a backyard as sloppy.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:45 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
We had a Rose of Sharon in NY, they attract a LOT of bees. Not sure if that's a concern for you or not. I seem to remember it being a tree that needed to be planted in shade, too.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:54 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,969 times
I assumed they meant sloppy since they said there were a lot of weeds?

Old 04-06-2015, 04:20 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
What kind of weeds do you have now? I have a very shady yard (so shady there's no grass) and still seem to find plenty of weeds. I doubt a Rose of Sharon is going to eliminate the need for yard work, but they're nice bushes if you want to plant one. We have a white one.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:40 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,566 times
Althea is beautiful, but I doubt it'll shade things enough to choke out weeds. Sounds like what you need is a groundcover. We have some pachysandra that's doing fairly well, and some Persian ivy that's pretty much taken over the whole side yard. It took about three years, but now it's so thick nothing can grow through it. Both need partial shade.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:24 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
If you are looking for a ground cover Ajuga and is another option. I have read it can invade your lawn, but it does not sound like that is a concern in your situation. You could combine it with some Hosta, they also like shade.

Do you live near a Garden store or Nursery? I find the staff at Garden supply very knowledgeable. You do not need to buy all your plants there, as they can be pricy but they are great for suggestions and then you comparison shop for the best price.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:25 AM

656 posts, read 1,208,127 times
thanks for the tips...see picture of my yard....in summer tall weeds about 8-10 feet, i prefer to see large flowering plants instead of weeds...
Attached Thumbnails
large perenials flowering plants on sloppy backyard-lawn.jpg  

Old 04-07-2015, 10:11 AM

143 posts, read 201,723 times
my old house had a large sloped area that was a PITA to take care of - this is what we did.

took out the grass, put down landscaping fabric, planted some shrubs for erosion control, and covered the area with pine straw mulch.

i don't actually like pine straw, but my landscaping guy recommended it because the sticky-pointy-ness of it helps it stay in place better than any other mulch - and it did stay in place except for one extremely bad storm.

i put knockout roses in as the shrubs - they grow very well while being mostly ignored and you don't have to dead-head the spent blooms like traditional roses. they do attract some bees, but at the edge of your yard that shouldn't be a problem.

azaleas would also be good, since they are a native shrub - it just depends on the lighting you get there. if it's not a sunny area, you could even put in hydrangeas. full sun - knockouts are a great pick.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:19 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
Kudzu?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary