Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 05:12 AM

703 posts, read 779,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
A lot of major retailers have these now. All Best Buy stores have DTV reps. They are NOT employees of Best Buy. They work on commission through DTV. What really gripes me is when they walk up and ask if you need any help. I've said yes, and started to ask them something before realizing they really aren't offering help. I think they should stay put at their table/kiosk.
Yes. This is exactly how some of them do approach you. Their shirts are nearly the same color and style of the Best Buy associates, and you have to look closely at the logo on their shirt to see that it's DTV instead of Best Buy. Like I noted previously, it always seems to happen when you're looking for a Best Buy associate for help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 06:15 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
A lot of major retailers have these now. All Best Buy stores have DTV reps. They are NOT employees of Best Buy. They work on commission through DTV. What really gripes me is when they walk up and ask if you need any help. I've said yes, and started to ask them something before realizing they really aren't offering help. I think they should stay put at their table/kiosk.
I also don't think they are employees of DirecTV either. Its some third party company that just gets a commission for the sale.

I just always tell them no thanks, I am a happy subscriber, which is true.

To me, what is worse are the Jehovah's witnesses that have recently started stalking people in gas station parking lots. I've seen them at the Kangaroo on Davis at Grace Park on several occasions and they sit in a car and wait for people to start pumping, then walk over to them, often seeming to pester people (they don't to me, because I firmly tell them I am not interested and if they keep up I tell them I will call the police for harassment and turn away). Surely, The Pantry is not giving them permission to do this.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:19 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I also don't think they are employees of DirecTV either. Its some third party company that just gets a commission for the sale.

I just always tell them no thanks, I am a happy subscriber, which is true.

To me, what is worse are the Jehovah's witnesses that have recently started stalking people in gas station parking lots. I've seen them at the Kangaroo on Davis at Grace Park on several occasions and they sit in a car and wait for people to start pumping, then walk over to them, often seeming to pester people (they don't to me, because I firmly tell them I am not interested and if they keep up I tell them I will call the police for harassment and turn away). Surely, The Pantry is not giving them permission to do this.
Ask them for money for your mission to the Wing joint on the corner.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:53 AM

82 posts, read 176,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
I don't know if this is happening in any other Best Buys around town, but I am SO TIRED of having to fend off the Directv sales guy every single time I go into the Brier Creek Best Buy.
Finally, someone feels my pain! I know this is a FIRST WORLD PROBLEM. It doesn't matter which Best Buy I go into, and over the past 2 years I have been in most of them in the area including the Brier Creek store, Capital Blvd, Cary, Garner and the Durham stores but in every single one of them I am ALWAYS approached by the Directv people in their black shirts. They will sometimes start a conversation by asking if you need help before they launch into their sales pitch like someone else said in this thread, but more often than not they go right into sales mode by saying something like " have they told you about the deals we're running right now..."

In one store on a busy Saturday they had two Directv sales people walking the floor, so I had to listen to the beginning of their pitch twice. This is in addition to all the blue-shirt Best Buy people asking every 5 minutes if you need help. I always try to be polite and immediately tell them I'm not interested in Directv so they don't waste their time on me, but on a few occasions the sales person hasn't taken no for an answer and I've had to get slightly rude.

It's gotten to be a bit of joke now with my partner and I when we go into a BB. We wager on which of us will be approached first and it's usually me. In the past I would politely decline, but if they catch me in a bad mood I will answer their sales pitch of "have they told you about the deals we're running.." by asking who are THEY? or I'll say, "yes they told me all about them the last time I was in here and I wasn't interested then either" Call me a douche if you like, and I understand that everyone needs to make a living, but when they don't take no for answer and press me, I will push back.

When I get Best Buy surveys in my email after a purchase, I always put an note about the annoying Directv sales people in the additional comments section at the end.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:03 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogTiger View Post
Finally, someone feels my pain! I know this is a FIRST WORLD PROBLEM. It doesn't matter which Best Buy I go into, and over the past 2 years I have been in most of them in the area including the Brier Creek store, Capital Blvd, Cary, Garner and the Durham stores but in every single one of them I am ALWAYS approached by the Directv people in their black shirts. They will sometimes start a conversation by asking if you need help before they launch into their sales pitch like someone else said in this thread, but more often than not they go right into sales mode by saying something like " have they told you about the deals we're running right now..."

In one store on a busy Saturday they had two Directv sales people walking the floor, so I had to listen to the beginning of their pitch twice. This is in addition to all the blue-shirt Best Buy people asking every 5 minutes if you need help. I always try to be polite and immediately tell them I'm not interested in Directv so they don't waste their time on me, but on a few occasions the sales person hasn't taken no for an answer and I've had to get slightly rude.

It's gotten to be a bit of joke now with my partner and I when we go into a BB. We wager on which of us will be approached first and it's usually me. In the past I would politely decline, but if they catch me in a bad mood I will answer their sales pitch of "have they told you about the deals we're running.." by asking who are THEY? or I'll say, "yes they told me all about them the last time I was in here and I wasn't interested then either" Call me a douche if you like, and I understand that everyone needs to make a living, but when they don't take no for answer and press me, I will push back.

When I get Best Buy surveys in my email after a purchase, I always put an note about the annoying Directv sales people in the additional comments section at the end.
Just honing in on the bolded comment. My biggest frustration with BB is finding ANYONE who works there that can help me. Crikey, I've been there before wanting nothing more than someone to unlock a laptop from inventory so they could liberate $500 from my wallet, and I left empty-handed....

I try to avoid BB when I can, but when approached by the DTV people (or anyone like that) I typically just smile, say "no thank you" and do not break my stride. They usually can get the hint.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:50 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Just honing in on the bolded comment. My biggest frustration with BB is finding ANYONE who works there that can help me. Crikey, I've been there before wanting nothing more than someone to unlock a laptop from inventory so they could liberate $500 from my wallet, and I left empty-handed....

I try to avoid BB when I can, but when approached by the DTV people (or anyone like that) I typically just smile, say "no thank you" and do not break my stride. They usually can get the hint.
If you need to shop there, message me. My son works there and he most assuredly will ask people if they need help. One big issue there seems to be floor coverage plus people who need way more help than the average shopper. I know. I've been there and had to wait for help.

And the DirecTV guys bug the crap out of me.

"I don't watch TV and your internet is too slow." Is my canned response.

We tell the Home Depot people we rent an apartment. Shuts them right up.

I hate going into a store and being solicited by another business.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:48 AM

82 posts, read 176,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
My biggest frustration with BB is finding ANYONE who works there that can help me.
There are always plenty of people around willing to offer you assistance, until you actually need it and then the place is practically devoid of employees, but if you're just browsing and don't want to be disturbed they are constantly offering their help. Isn't that the universal constant of retail?

Old 04-09-2015, 11:58 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Whether or not you like being solicited, the people who approach you are just trying to earn a living.

Years ago I used to mess around with telemarketers until my wife made me read an op/ed piece about someone who earned a living that way. It forced me to realize that the people behind those phone calls, much like the DirecTV salesperson in Best Buy, are generally decent people who for a variety of reasons can't find what is typically considered a better job. I decided to at least be polite when they approached me, either by phone or in-person, and treat them with a measure of respect.

I suppose you could blame DirecTV in this instance, but only if you also accept that the reason they use this marketing model is that it's very likely effective (so someone must be talking to these people).

Old 04-09-2015, 12:09 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Whether or not you like being solicited, the people who approach you are just trying to earn a living.

Years ago I used to mess around with telemarketers until my wife made me read an op/ed piece about someone who earned a living that way. It forced me to realize that the people behind those phone calls, much like the DirecTV salesperson in Best Buy, are generally decent people who for a variety of reasons can't find what is typically considered a better job. I decided to at least be polite when they approached me, either by phone or in-person, and treat them with a measure of respect.

I suppose you could blame DirecTV in this instance, but only if you also accept that the reason they use this marketing model is that it's very likely effective (so someone must be talking to these people).
Yeah... I don't hate the reps. I just hate the setup.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:41 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
I never really shopped at Best Buy, so I have not experienced the DTV salespeople. I usually only went there to cross shop before heading over to Circuit City(RIP ). I have been approached by the Home Depot salespeople and they can be pretty aggressive. I'm sure they're trained to be aggressive and I blame Home Depot for this. They're about one sales pitch away from losing this customer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary