U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:08 AM

166 posts, read 248,876 times
There will be droves at the Green Hope meeting. My husband is speaking and I am attending. I didn't think they needed to hear our story twice. Did you read about the walks to school out here in Western Wake? The droves are gathering.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:13 AM

4,609 posts, read 5,007,859 times
Cool reminder:

I understand this is a sensitive topic and many are passionate about their opinions 1 way or another . But I have to remind everyone with asking ya'll to keep it civil. Everyone can have their say, we have plenty of room for that . Just don't attack one another personally please.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:13 AM

Moderator cut: flame/personal attack

I didn't make up the stories of the first day of school. I agree, it is the fault of the families. However it IS an illustration of the kind of disconnection between school and family that these children deal with. And taking them out of their neighborhoods isn't ENCOURAGING parent involvement I wouldn't think. Would you?

Last edited by autumngal; 01-16-2008 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: no flaming, personal attacks as per TOS

Old 01-16-2008, 08:17 AM

7,195 posts, read 13,589,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahMom View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned

I didn't make up the stories of the first day of school. I agree, it is the fault of the families. However it IS an illustration of the kind of disconnection between school and family that these children deal with. And taking them out of their neighborhoods isn't ENCOURAGING parent involvement I wouldn't think. Would you?
Again, I don't see the disconnection. The school board communicates new school assignments very, very clearly. If parents don't pay attention, it's their fault, not "Rosa's". And I do agree that you have EVERY right to voice your opinion!

Last edited by autumngal; 01-16-2008 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: mod cut quote

Old 01-16-2008, 08:21 AM

Lamishra,

Ok. maybe we are violently agreeing and I'm missing it. I didn't say it was Rosa's fault that the parents didn't get the message. I DO think it is the school board's limited vision that sees busing as the only alternative, hence putting those kids in that sitation in the first place and NOT solving the problem that it set out to solve. Actually, it creates other problems (like even less time with family?).

Old 01-16-2008, 08:24 AM

7,195 posts, read 13,589,384 times
I'm never violent .

Old 01-16-2008, 08:25 AM

934 posts, read 10,237 times
homeschooling is a terrific option!

so are private schools!

and charter schools!

and magnet schools!

Old 01-16-2008, 08:36 AM

18,938 posts, read 28,336,835 times

Have we been here before?

Year round schools would make THAT link obsolete...

I am so unsettled on this, but convinced that Wake County can do better in planning schools.

The backlash against YRS is unreasonable. WCPSS efforts to sell it? Well, they couldn't sell raw meat to a pack of hyenas...

I see no benefit to a bus ride of 40-75 minutes for a kid whose parent can't support the school he/she is attending, and I grew up with bus rides. The kids with the longest rides suffered the most, with the least parental involvement.
But I see immeasurable benefit to a kid being in a school where there is expectation of achievement, and influence from kids who are raised with that expectation.
More magnets would be a good start.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 01-16-2008 at 08:55 AM..

Old 01-16-2008, 08:37 AM

mommiewrites,
- well, yes. sigh.
Homeschooling is terrific, if only I had the confidence that it would be successful given the personalities involved. (myself included).

Private schools are a great option if you can/want to spend $21,000 for 3 kids per year. AND if you can get IN (waiting lists are a mile long now)

Charter schools are looking less and less like a hairbrained idea to me now, yes.

Magnet schools, yes if they weren't so FAR away. I don't want MY kids on the bus for 45 min each way either.

You see, mommiewrites, we have had a fabulous neighborhood public school doing a terrific job for our family in the 3 years since my first child started. We can walk to school, although often they take the bus. Can you tell how much I resent big brother coming in, pushing us out of our school and wreaking havoc in my life? Working with a family is a hard enough scheduling nightmare without things changing every year. This kind of instability is not what we worked so hard for and chose this neighborhood for. I think others moving in might take heed. Mayberry is not all its cracked up to be anymore.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:19 AM

2,082 posts, read 4,862,655 times
I don't normally post on these topics because I don't have kids yet (or for the near forseeable future) and don't follow the news about this, but I can't help but see it come up all the time.

I am the product of a school system in a much more congested metro area than Raleigh in another state. The entire county was pretty much the metro area, and far more densely populated than Wake. We had kids being bussed all over the place. They did pretty well with keeping kids who lived within a mile or two from a school at that school, which was the case for me K-5 and high school. While I don't know for sure, our bussing seemed to be a function of overcrowding, the main goal being to keep student/teacher ratios manageable in the face of too many students and not enough schools.

However, balancing out the total numbers didn't work because of outraged parents. The parents at the wealthy high school on the "other side of the tracks" from my high school (not that my high school was in a bad area, but not necessarily a 'wealthy' area) put up a big stink when they found out that the feeder pattern for their school was up for changes that included a low-income middle school feeding into their high school. This middle school was just one of many schools from all over that fed into the high school I went to, and for years those students were bussed right past the wealthy high school. My high school was busting at the seams, housing 4,000 students with only 2,500 capacity. The wealthy school, of course, won out and kept their comfortable numbers comfortable. My school just became more crowded and the student/teacher ratio just climbed higher, thus giving students already at a disadvantage an even worse disadvantage.

How is a growing school system supposed to address the immediate need to control overcrowding in growing school districts? Does anyone really have an answer? It is a tough one. You can't just say 'build more schools' because that doesn't address the here and now problem existing schools are facing.

Unfortunately, some school districts are exploding more than others, so what is the best way to handle this? You've got parents whining about classes in portables, and then those who are opposed to bussing. I don't see how you can have no portables and no bussing in a school system that is growing as quickly as Wake's. I personally think that the overcrowding is certainly playing a large role here, but is overlooked due to the socio-economic aspect. If a school becomes overcrowded in one area, and another school in another area has a bit of room to spare, unfortunately some kids are going to have to go somewhere else.

Right now it seems to me that the school board is handling things way better and with much more forethought than my school system ever did. I think they are trying to do the best they can given the situation at hand. There will always be someone who isn't satisfied.

Then again, I don't have kids yet, so maybe I don't know anything. I do know that I graduated from a school that many parents hollered and whined enough to get their kids out of due to the feeder pattern, and I received a full scholarship to an excellent university and acceptance into their honors program. I don't think that's too shabby, considering.

I am curious to know which schools the opposed parents' children are being redistricted from and to. I would like to get a map out and see what the distances are, as I am not familiar enough with schools in the area to draw a mental map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary