Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 09:57 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,972,215 times

Advertisements

I've noticed hanging out here a decent amount of people moving in and keeping their out of state jobs????

Is this common? Do people keep these jobs for years and years? I understand the internet and work in IT but it's boggling to me employers will let their employees move out of state and keep their jobs lol.

Anyway I guess it sucks for our area's reputation as a low COL area with folks coming in with their Chicago, NY, and DC salaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 10:01 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,812,465 times
My wife has the same job she had when we left the Northeast 12 years ago.
Small company, most employees travel anyway.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:04 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,890,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Anyway I guess it sucks for our area's reputation as a low COL area
That reputation is an illusion.
It hasn't been objectively valid for 30 years; maybe longer.

Having lowER priced houses than Manhattan or Long Island doesn't count.
Especially so when the nature/quality of the houses are so dissimilar.
Outside of RE related costs... it was NEVER much of a low COL area.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:14 AM

683 posts, read 1,882,675 times
Quote:
it's boggling to me employers will let their employees move out of state and keep their jobs lol.
Why?

Old 04-10-2015, 10:19 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,586,011 times
Quote:
... it's boggling to me employers will let their employees move out of state and keep their jobs ...
A close friend is employed by a major company in the IT industry. He's fairly high up in the ranks and his job requires frequent travel, national and international. Consequently he is authorized to work from home and/or customer locations. Two years ago he relocated from upper New York state to coastal North Carolina. He loves our climate ... lower taxes are just the icing on his cake.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:34 AM

171 posts, read 318,818 times
We moved here almost 5 years ago and I still work for the same company I did when we lived in D.C. My company was small then but was bought out by a very large international firm a couple of years ago and they are very favorable of telecommuting as it keeps overhead costs low for them. I did take a bit of a downward salary adjustment but it was a small price to pay for the ability to work from home and have the flexibility I do.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:37 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That reputation is an illusion.
It hasn't been objectively valid for 30 years; maybe longer.

Having lowER priced houses than Manhattan or Long Island doesn't count.
Especially so when the nature/quality of the houses are so dissimilar.
Outside of RE related costs... it was NEVER much of a low COL area.
Mortgage and Property taxes make up the largest chunk of my debt and monthly budget, so I think that considering the fact that my mortgage is half of what it would be in Long Island, and my taxes being probably 1/10th of what they would be in Long Island is SIGNIFICANT. And I can tell you right now, I wouldn't make 2x the salary.

Taxes for waterfront properties in the town where I grew up are more than $20k/year. And I know that waterfront = higher end of the tax bracket, but still, even if the taxes were HALF ($10k/year is more realistic average), that's $800/month. My mortgage is only a little bit more than that!

Old 04-10-2015, 11:50 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,922,511 times
Yes, it's significant when comparing to Long Island, for those coming from there. Almost anywhere is low cost compared to the high cost areas of greater NYC and Long Island. But compared to much of the rest of the country, the Triangle isn't necessarily a low COL area.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:54 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,227,430 times
I moved here in 2007 and have been working at the job I had in MD. I actually quit my MD job and moved down here without one but they called me a month later and asked me if I thought I could work from home. Hmmm, YES!! I was the first person in my company to work from home and since then they have had more employees doing so

Old 04-10-2015, 12:33 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,807,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
I moved here in 2007 and have been working at the job I had in MD. I actually quit my MD job and moved down here without one but they called me a month later and asked me if I thought I could work from home. Hmmm, YES!! I was the first person in my company to work from home and since then they have had more employees doing so
It's one thing to work from home when your office is still a commutable distance away, but I do share OP's puzzlement that it is SO common (based on what we see here) for people to live in an entirely different state than their boss and office. But, I know meetings can be done online, some folks do travel over 75% of the time, and if you've already established yourself as a valuable employee, I guess it is understandable...it still doesn't seem that it would be quite so "common", to me. Of course, folks on this board are not a representative sample of workers everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary