Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:18 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,560,736 times

Advertisements

I guess a lot of residents who live near the proposed light rail are against it - which to me is so strange; my house is within walking distance of two proposed stations and that thing can't get here fast enough.

Neighborhoods want to derail plans for nearby commuter train route :: WRAL.com

I found this statement very curious:

"Look at how congested (the highway) is and imagine putting trains stopping traffic every 10 or 15 minutes at those periods of time," resident Tom Swasey said.
Read more at Neighborhoods want to derail plans for nearby commuter train route :: WRAL.com

I seriously do not think they will be stopping traffic for the light rail. From what I understand, the line will go next to the traffic, it will not stop traffic ?

Anyway, there are plans in the works to make the neighborhoods around the stations mixed use, pedestrian friendly areas - I will hold on to my house.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:08 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,222,306 times
It's a sad commentary on the general lack of knowledge the public has on how mass transportation works. Many times the very same people who say they want to improve transportation and decrease sprawl make lifestyle choices and support activities that have the exact opposite effect. It's quite bizarre.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:16 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,202,910 times
Trains stopping in traffic? Did I miss something? That is something I have to see! Where do people come up with this stuff? They plan on trains chugging in and about the streets? OH my! WHERE does that happen?

Old 04-15-2015, 08:30 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,700,879 times
Quote:
Meadowmont was designed to accommodate light rail, but many of the people living there now don't want the line close to their homes either.
These people need a slap upside the head.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:33 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,710,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
They plan on trains chugging in and about the streets? OH my! WHERE does that happen?

It happens a lot more than people realize. Here's one place in Warsaw, Indiana... (Credit CSX Productions)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShUNFer2wQQ

Closer to home here are two trains I caught in Fayetteville running down the middle of the street...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp5McrxR9gk

Last edited by builder24car; 04-15-2015 at 08:46 PM..

Old 04-15-2015, 08:40 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,710,459 times
I would rather see the S line brought back before high speed rail. The talk has been to use parts of the S line for high speed rail. I doubt either of them will ever happen in my lifetime...

Old 04-15-2015, 08:51 PM

86 posts, read 153,156 times
Having spent nearly my entire life in Washington DC, and Atlanta, GA... I find it utterly hilarious when people around here complain about traffic.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:15 PM

222 posts, read 402,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxer View Post
Having spent nearly my entire life in Washington DC, and Atlanta, GA... I find it utterly hilarious when people around here complain about traffic.
This... over and over, lol. Perception is reality.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:57 PM

862 posts, read 3,541,484 times
Quote:
Trains stopping in traffic? Did I miss something? That is something I have to see! Where do people come up with this stuff? They plan on trains chugging in and about the streets? OH my! WHERE does that happen?
Where I used to live....Baltimore, MD and Newark, NJ. The light rail runs parallel to street traffic in the streets. This is light rail though, not the commercial trains builder24car posted. It definitely changed the whole landscape of the streets when they put them in place.

I'm not sure of the details of the proposed plan is here, but in Baltimore, the light rail trains definitely do stop traffic at certain times. It is similar to how we have to wait for school buses as they pick up children that live in the complexes on 54.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsQBXjqrzl4

Old 04-16-2015, 04:44 AM

22,640 posts, read 36,609,195 times
Quote:
HA ha - like the train at the mall - beep beep, coming through!

Commuter trains can stop traffic at crossings, but I picture this being like Chicago's trains that run along the middle of the highway in some places.

My guess is people don't want their neighborhood to look "citified".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary