Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 11:17 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
If anyone has any suggestions as to nice subdivisions where there definitely is natural gas heat, I'd welcome those.
Where? The Triangle covers a lot of territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 11:40 AM

496 posts, read 552,743 times
I know, I know... but gas heat is a real driver for me, even more than which county to live in. I'm retired, so more interested in "good medical care" than "short commute."

At this point, I'm trying not to limit myself to this area or that. Simpleton that I am, I just figured folks who have gas furnaces can chime in and say, "I live in Yoknapatawpha County/Windy Acres development and we have a gas furnace." (no need to give a specific address, which wouldn't be a good idea on a public forum).

I can spend up to $900K. I don't want a giant house on a tiny lot, but I don't require "acreage." Not sure if by "you need land," VickiR really meant "anything over 1/3 of an acre." Trying to avoid over-55 places, since they charge for all sorts of amenities which older people are supposed to want, but which don't interest me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Where? The Triangle covers a lot of territory.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:57 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
I know, I know... but gas heat is a real driver for me, even more than which county to live in. I'm retired, so more interested in "good medical care" than "short commute."

At this point, I'm trying not to limit myself to this area or that. Simpleton that I am, I just figured folks who have gas furnaces can chime in and say, "I live in Yoknapatawpha County/Windy Acres development and we have a gas furnace." (no need to give a specific address, which wouldn't be a good idea on a public forum).

I can spend up to $900K. I don't want a giant house on a tiny lot, but I don't require "acreage." Not sure if by "you need land," VickiR really meant "anything over 1/3 of an acre." Trying to avoid over-55 places, since they charge for all sorts of amenities which older people are supposed to want, but which don't interest me.
You can certainly get natural gas, and your budget opens up so many options, it is hard to mention them all.
You could start with a teardown Inside the Beltline in Raleigh, and there are tons of them.

I would be looking in Raleigh, off Ebenezer Church Road. Various subdivisions.
For nice lots:
Cary, Macgregor Downs.
Wessex in Cary. 10+ years old, but some very nice properties. And one of the nicest neighborhoods that is out of the RDU Air Traffic Noise Disclosure zones.
Bailey's Landing.

Weston Manor in Cary.
North Hills in Raleigh.

Lots of infill stuff in smaller subdivisions in N Raleigh.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:23 PM

496 posts, read 552,743 times
Thanks, Mike! Will start plugging those names into search engines and mentioning them to agents.

Unfortunately, the thought of a teardown, and all that is involved, just makes me feel old and tired...the same way I'd feel about building new, or a major remodel. I want to sell my house and move into another house, period.

Thanks again!

Old 04-20-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Mike! Will start plugging those names into search engines and mentioning them to agents.

Unfortunately, the thought of a teardown, and all that is involved, just makes me feel old and tired...the same way I'd feel about building new, or a major remodel. I want to sell my house and move into another house, period.

Thanks again!
A lot of the teardowns are work in process as we speak.
You don't have to make the buy. The builders already have, and ITB is hot enough they are pulling permits and building spec houses.

But, that you are looking for "newer" rather than "new," brings me right back to Wessex. There are some very nice properties that come on the market there from time to time, and the location is superb.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:37 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
A lot of the teardowns are work in process as we speak.
You don't have to make the buy. The builders already have, and ITB is hot enough they are pulling permits and building spec houses.

But, that you are looking for "newer" rather than "new," brings me right back to Wessex. There are some very nice properties that come on the market there from time to time, and the location is superb.
I just noticed that one of my favorite houses over there is for sale and it is in the OP's price range. It's over on Midenhall, I think.

775k.

And, no, it's not mine and I don't know the owner. I just know that we liked it last time it was on the market, but it went contingent before we had a chance to look at it.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Thanks again!
Oh... these aren't ancient. Not the ones in Wessex, anyway... they were built in the 90s and many have been remodeled/updated already.

You'd like Weston Manor because they were all built 2005 and after, but the only house for sale there right now is contingent. Had you asked last month, there would've been two for sale.

Look into the neighborhood, though.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:40 PM

You could also try Preston. Good mix of retirees and families of all ages out there. Most should have gas in your price range.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I just noticed that one of my favorite houses over there is for sale and it is in the OP's price range. It's over on Midenhall, I think.

775k.

And, no, it's not mine and I don't know the owner. I just know that we liked it last time it was on the market, but it went contingent before we had a chance to look at it.
That one is lovely, but a bit grand for me.

I could get real comfortable in the red brick house on Tynemouth @ $539,000.
Previewed it and liked it a lot better than the buyer did.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:02 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
it won't be difficult at all to find a very nice home, with natural gas, 1/3 or greater lot, under $900K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary