U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 09:08 AM

958 posts, read 1,591,338 times

Advertisements

I'm flying skybus to boston in April and I'm a little worried. They only have a handful of planes, and if one goes down(for maintenance, bad choice of words) it messes their whole schedule up. But I'm flying a family of 4 round trip for about $300.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 09:10 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,579,213 times
Drive to Charlotte. You can fly to several west coast destinations non-stop & Caribbean & Europe & Canada & Mexico!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:14 AM

2,530 posts, read 7,928,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Drive to Charlotte. You can fly to several west coast destinations non-stop & Caribbean & Europe & Canada & Mexico!
Yeah, but thanks to crazy airline fares, you can sometimes get a cheaper connecting flight on US Airways from RDU through CLT to one of these destinations that you can flying direct from CLT. Go figure.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:34 AM

1,861 posts, read 6,727,748 times
I actually sat next to a pilot for Skybus on a southwest flight from CA to Phoenix to here in July. He was training to fly Skybus. He told me that Skybus uses the small airports (burbank,greensboro etc.) because that is how they keep their costs down. The fees to land and fly out of the larger airports are much higher for the airlines than the smaller airports. We plan on trying Skybus this Summer.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:35 AM
VSB VSB started this thread

167 posts, read 710,956 times
Default East Coast Cities with population > 1 million

According the US Government census data (http://www.census.gov/popest/datasets.html - broken link), these are the (east coast) cities with estimated 2006 populations > 1 million (in order of most to least).

New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Miami Beach, FL
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA
Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL
Baltimore-Towson, MD
Pittsburgh, PA
Orlando-Kissimmee, FL
Kansas City, MO-KS
Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC
Providence-New Bedford-Fall River, RI-MA
Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord, NC-SC
Raleigh-Cary, NC
Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro, TN
Jacksonville, FL
Memphis, TN-MS-AR
Louisville-Jefferson County, KY-IN
Richmond, VA
Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT
Greensboro-High Point, NC
Buffalo-Niagara Falls, NY
Birmingham-Hoover, AL
Rochester, NY
New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA

Of this list, these are the cities that don't have nonstop flights to LAX or an airport within 50 miles of LAX (and after Norfolk-Virginia Beach, Raleigh's metro area, which is estimated at 1.46 million in 2006 by the 2000 census (next one in 2010) is the biggest of this group):

Raleigh
Virginia Beach-Norfolk, VA
Jacksonville, FL
Louisville, KY
Richmond, VA
Buffalo, NY
Birmingham, AL
Rochester, NY

Old 01-17-2008, 09:45 AM

3,155 posts, read 9,584,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSB View Post
Now we have an 8 month old and if everything goes well, we'll have a second in another 24-36 months. My priority will be reducing layovers and stops. Anything to shorten the trip. I suppose there's two sides to this coin (i.e. kids gets bored being on super-long flights and stops might provide a diversion though they then need to re-board for the next potentially tortuous leg versus just getting there and getting done).
6 months ago we moved from Portland, Oregon to Durham. All the family is here in NC. Our kids are now 5 & 7. Given every child is different, but we looked forward to the 1/2 way stop. Especially when they were babies. Changing diapers, nursing, and ear issues are much more difficult on the plane. Plus if they wanted to be walked around there is very little room for that.

Even when they were older and could sit and watch a movie they look forward to the lay over. Running around, the slide walks, getting to eat some non-airplane food.

We've done a RDU to Atlanta and Atlanta to PDX. Boy, let me tell you, the Atlanta to PDX was heck. We were somewhere over Wyoming when they both became unreasonable.

Let me just say Benedryl (5ml) is your friend. But test it on them before they flight. It wires some kids, but makes most of them sleep.

Good luck!

Old 01-17-2008, 10:15 AM
VSB VSB started this thread

167 posts, read 710,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Let me just say Benedryl (5ml) is your friend. But test it on them before they flight. It wires some kids, but makes most of them sleep.Good luck!
I hear you loud and clear . . .

We have taken three trips so far with our infant:

Chicago-Norfolk, VA-Chicago
Chicago-Boston-Chicago
Chicago-San Jose, CA-Seattle-Chicago

She was well behaved on all of them, but she's in the "easy stage." All we have to do is time her feedings to take off and landings, and walk her around on the plane a bit. There are a lot of nervous, disappointed faces boarding the plane when they see us, but we have gotten lots of positive comments ("what a great baby . . . et cetera et cetera") when everyone is leaving.

I guess suspended judgement makes the most sense . . .

Old 01-17-2008, 11:22 AM

148 posts, read 601,212 times
We go from RDU to Oakland, CA all the time on Southwest.....while there are no direct routes there are many that stop but you do not have to change planes....only adds 30 minutes approx to the flight and no risk of missing your connecting flight(which is important since my kids fly by themselves often). 6 hours take off in RDU to landing in OAK....and you can almost always get $99 roundtrip if you book far enough out.......

Old 01-17-2008, 02:52 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,584,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSB View Post
There are a lot of nervous, disappointed faces boarding the plane when they see us, but we have gotten lots of positive comments ("what a great baby . . . et cetera et cetera") when everyone is leaving.

I guess suspended judgement makes the most sense . . .
My hubby and I've always said to bad there can't be designated "family" flights, where the service caters to kids. We would be willing to pay extra for it!

BTW, it's very considerate of you that you are concerned about the folks around you on the plane. We do our best to keep our kids from bothering others. BUT there are some people who will never be happy w/ a child anywhere near them on a flight. I was flying once with my then 3 year old and 8 month old. And before we could even get settled into our seats the guy in front of my 3 year old requested that the flight attendant move him b/c he said my 3 year old was kicking the back of the seat, when in fact he had not. The flight was full so the guy could not move. Later in the flight the guy went to the bathroom and I heard the old lady sitting next to the guy's girlfriend ask if they were married. She said no. The old lady said something to the effect of "Throw him back. If he doesn't like kids he's not a keeper or tolerate of others." If I did not have a sleeping 8 month on me, I would have jumped up and hugged that woman!!

I hope your little one continues to be a good flyer, for his/her sake & your sake... not the sake of the other passagers.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:26 AM

958 posts, read 1,591,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
I'm flying skybus to boston in April and I'm a little worried. They only have a handful of planes, and if one goes down(for maintenance, bad choice of words) it messes their whole schedule up. But I'm flying a family of 4 round trip for about $300.

Well it could have been worse. Skybus could have gone out of business next Saturday in the middle of my trip. Now I'm flying delta for almost $800. Nice business plan, they could make it 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary