Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:43 AM

269 posts, read 943,770 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me a accurate account/explanation of the reassigment issues in Wake County? This is a HUGE concern of ours in our moving choices, and are not really sure what to make of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 08:46 AM

932 posts, read 1,272,777 times
dont move in expecting to be in the same school as when you started.

most of N Raleigh and Cary reassignments are based on trying to make sure each school is economically diverse- with no ones school having a 'high' percentage of lower income families.

Typically other areas are reassigned due to over crowding.

thats the long story short, but you've opened a can of worms now, and will hear plenty...lol

Old 01-17-2008, 08:50 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
Simply put, it is possible that you could be reassigned from year to year. It is most likely to occur in areas experiencing a lot of growth and new construction due to new schools opening. However, it also occurs due to balancing economic diversity, so it can truly occur anywhere.

There are plenty of folks who've remained largely untouched by reassignments, and that's great. However, if you're not OK with the possibility that your kids could be sent to a different school next year "just because", then Wake County may not be the place for you.

There's a lot more to it that this really...magnets, charters, nodes, etc...but you can use the search feature and find a wealth of information on that stuff that's already been posted.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:24 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
I find it is hard to get to the "truth" of this hot topic on this forum. Some people feel so strongly about their side of the situation that they often misrepresent the other. I think both sides have valid points and I like to keep abreast of the issue in the media. Here is a link from today's N&O about the issue for your consideration:

newsobserver.com | Cary families fight schools reassignment (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/education/wake/reassignment/story/886117.html - broken link)

Old 01-17-2008, 09:30 AM

906 posts, read 2,380,940 times
I would do a search for threads about the school system on the forum. I agree with North Raleigh Guy that its hard to get the 'truth'.

I agree with mdp_az that if you're worried at all about reassignments, then Wake may not be the place for you. Even if you're not in a fast growing area you can still be reassigned for diversity reasons. This happened to a large group of students near me last year. You just never know when or if it could be you next.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:36 AM

269 posts, read 943,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I find it is hard to get to the "truth" of this hot topic on this forum. Some people feel so strongly about their side of the situation that they often misrepresent the other. I think both sides have valid points and I like to keep abreast of the issue in the media. Here is a link from today's N&O about the issue for your consideration:

newsobserver.com | Cary families fight schools reassignment (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/education/wake/reassignment/story/886117.html - broken link)
In reading this article it seems the ones affected are those that are in a lower poverty level. Is that true, or is it more "global" whereas income isn't really the driving factor?

Old 01-17-2008, 09:40 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
Lots of $500k+ homes in West Cary were reassigned to new schools. The families reassigned at Davis Drive were mostly in a somewhat lower price range ($200k- $400k). It's a growth issue.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:40 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
Yes, often it is those in the lower income brackets that get shuffled around the most. However, it can and does happen to those in higher income nodes, too. For me, I disagree with the entire policy on principle alone, regardless of what income level gets shuffled around the most. IMO, its those in the lower income brackets that would probably benefit the most from stability in their schools and a location close to their home. But that's just me.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:43 AM

718 posts, read 2,972,254 times
Also if you get reassigned its not just your family or your child, the neighborhood(mostly) gets reassigned. So your son or daughter isn't shipped off to a school where they don't know anyone. I live in West Cary and all the surrounding schools are good. We did get reassigned from Green Hope Elementary to Highcroft Drive and had no issues.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:44 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Wake County Public School System has been "growing" in all the years I've lived here (30 years).

Re assignments are necessary due to the growth.

When a developer builds a neighborhood with 500 houses, and those people have kids...they have to go to school somewhere.

So a new school is built.

Some kids must go to the new school so a re assignment is done.

The new school is filled with kids from the area. Not just one or two kids from one or two streets. Usually the entire neighborhood is re assigned.

Here is where it gets sticky: Wake County believes that schools should be equal. Therefore, if the new school is being filled with people from the neighborhood (of $200,000 and $300,000 homes), Wake County believes there must be a certain amount of FREE AND REDUCED LUNCH kids. (I think I'm allowed to say that as oppossed to low income kids).

Thats about as simple as I can make it.

Moderator cut: off topic So this is the truth...when you buy a house, the school your kids will be assigned to is easily found. However, there is nothing that says you will go to that same school next school year. If your whole neighborhood is re assigned, will your kids really care?

Most of the re assignments are elementary school. Some middle. VERY FEW high school. High School kids get very attached (as they should) to their high school so WCPSS does try not to disturb their loyalty.

Make sense?

Vicki

Last edited by autumngal; 01-17-2008 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary