Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 05:10 PM

222 posts, read 403,855 times

Advertisements

Who to use?

Should I go with a tankless solution or old glory (50 gallon)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 05:59 PM

21 posts, read 27,639 times
We have a Noritz NR981-OD in our 4000 sq ft home. It is cheap to run, however compared to our prior home which had a hot water tank then the water flow in the shower is far less ;-(

While I like the fact that we won't run out of hot water, and the lower running costs I have to admit that I miss my old shower. I did turn up the water pressure a bit which helps, but still no comparison if you like a fast flowing shower.

note: We removed the water restrictors for both old and new shower.

TheWombat

Old 04-28-2015, 06:12 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,275 times
Search through the forums about this, there are several threads.

It's a bit more complex that some think.
It depends on:

If you already have Nat Gas at the house, if it's already run near where the heater might go, and can a flue be run from it to outside?

If no Nat Gas, than you have to look long and hard at the electrical requirements. Installation of the unit and piping is typically really easy, but you are adding a HUGE electricity load. (Even if it saves energy over a tank system because of reduced duration, the time it is one will consume a LOT of juice). You'll probably have to run thick (expen$ive) cables back to your house's main fuse-box. And some houses might not have enough capacity in the fuse-box, so it would have to be upgraded, (OMG !!! $$$).

You also should contact your utility companies. Ask about rebates and/or tax benefits per fuel choice.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:31 PM

663 posts, read 1,619,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxdonkey View Post
Who to use?

Should I go with a tankless solution or old glory (50 gallon)?
I am planning to change my hot water heater too (50 gal). I don't plan to upgrade to tankless.

Let me know what brand you are going with if you decide tank & where you plan to buy it from. (Some post said avoid the big box stores)

Thanks

Old 04-29-2015, 10:01 PM

450 posts, read 1,553,706 times
Why would you need to heat hot water?

BTW, I suggest you go tankless, if you can. It's much more efficient since it only turns on when you need it.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:03 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
I've read that homes using private wells shouldn't go tankless because the sediment in the water wreaks havoc on the system. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

Old 04-30-2015, 08:43 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,173,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I've read that homes using private wells shouldn't go tankless because the sediment in the water wreaks havoc on the system. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing?
Just add a good filtration system. While I really like "properly installed" tankless systems, they generally don't save as much money as one would think when you factor in the initial cost. The equation may change as it seems plumbers are charging much more for standard water heater installs these days!

Old 04-30-2015, 06:41 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
Why would you need to heat hot water?
BTW, I suggest you go tankless, if you can. It's much more efficient since it only turns on when you need it.
LOL, any water warmer than 0.0 degrees Kelvin is "warm". Or, in other words, you heat hot water to get it hotter.
But be cool about it. Being efficient is NOT the whole story. You need to have the math done:
>> Installed cost (parts AND labor), - cost of energy saved over life of the unit = years payback.
If it's a very efficient unit that's very very expensive, it might be a bad 'investment' of your money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Excellent point. A water quality test should be done, to compare with the factory recommendations regarding the instantaneous heater's heat exchanger material. IE: steel? be careful. Stainless Steel? (it's more expensive, but also more corrosive resistant).

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Just add a good filtration system. While I really like "properly installed" tankless systems, they generally don't save as much money as one would think when you factor in the initial cost. The equation may change as it seems plumbers are charging much more for standard water heater installs these days!
Filtration only pics out suspended solids, reducing the chances for clogging. It won't do that much about corrosive hard water.
You're points about installed cost are very well made. There is a reason why most new-home builders put in a tank. it's WAY cheaper 1st cost.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:59 PM

222 posts, read 403,855 times
Thanks for all of the responses. I'm negotiating with a plumber now and waiting for their analysis based on our water and gas.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:22 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,149 times
If I could do it again I would have gone tankless. I like the speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary