Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:43 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times

Advertisements

A lot of grumbling in this thread about construction quality for apartments. Is there some actual evidence that construction standards have changed in recent years? Have the economics of rental units changed so much that developers have shifted build quality downward? (Which seems somewhat contrary to the other frequent complaint here that apartments are getting too fancy and expensive.)

I did pause on this "quality standard:"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Kitchens/baths painted in flat not semi-gloss. Not cleanable and easily stained.
Neither our kitchen nor any of our bathrooms in this or the past few houses I've owned have been pained with semi-gloss paint. Most have typically been flat paint. We've never had a problem with cleaning, and our walls don't get stained. (What does one have to be doing to stain a wall, anyway?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 08:43 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
eggshell. you're supposed to paint in eggshell.

as to construction quality, I feel pretty confident they are built to a commercial standard - above standard residential. I know for a fact they have greater fire systems in place than your average home.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:11 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
A lot of grumbling in this thread about construction quality for apartments. Is there some actual evidence that construction standards have changed in recent years? Have the economics of rental units changed so much that developers have shifted build quality downward? (Which seems somewhat contrary to the other frequent complaint here that apartments are getting too fancy and expensive.)

Neither our kitchen nor any of our bathrooms in this or the past few houses I've owned have been pained with semi-gloss paint. Most have typically been flat paint. We've never had a problem with cleaning, and our walls don't get stained. (What does one have to be doing to stain a wall, anyway?)

LOL...I always paint in eggshell! Don't like the look of semi-gloss on walls! I do like semi-gloss on my trim!

Saturnfan...stop throwing that spaghetti sauce around the kitchen and you won't have any problems!

Old 04-30-2015, 09:15 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post

Years ago, most apartments went up as one or 2 floors. Now, we are seeing 5 story+ frame buildings. no fire escapes, so the residents must hope the sprinklers work and the alarms give proper warning.

The buildings we occupied in NYC were 14 floors built of steel, concrete, and brick. There were fire hose standpipe connections in every level, and all doors were steel.

No fire spread beyond one room in one unit.

The crap now allowed by code provides much less protection.

One day, a tinderbox high rise will have a major fire with considerable loss of life. That will possibly get proper building codes in place, but at an awful cost.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:17 AM

422 posts, read 461,545 times
Building "quality" which is extremely subjective and building codes are two entirely different things. In general building codes become more stringent with each subsequent revision. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any instance where building codes became less stringent in a later revision. The same applies to Energy Codes, etc. The IBC, NEC, IFC, IMC, etc books don't get thinner with current revisions :-)

Things like paint quality, caulking quality, quality of appliances, etc, are not (and should not be) code issues. I can only imagine the increased size / bureaucracy of the local building authorities if these types of things were now subject to inspection.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:19 AM

288 posts, read 360,808 times
Right near where I live, there are more than five of these new stick-built apartments that are wrapped around parking decks. Two new hotels have also been built right nearby, but they used steel and concrete construction. Does anybody know why different construction methods were used? The hotels aren't any taller.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:28 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times
There is a correlation with Stick vs. Concrete and Steel Construction. It all boils down to the available stair cases and also Fire Sprinklers, the more fire sprinklers the higher they can build and get away with without the building being Concrete. It's somewhere deep in the Building Codes. Also Elevators can change things.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:30 AM

422 posts, read 461,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Right near where I live, there are more than five of these new stick-built apartments that are wrapped around parking decks. Two new hotels have also been built right nearby, but they used steel and concrete construction. Does anybody know why different construction methods were used? The hotels aren't any taller.
Different occupancy classifications under the building code, and therefore subject to different requirements and standards (lots of overlap though too). If I recall correctly, hotels are R1 and apartment complexes are R2.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:36 PM

288 posts, read 360,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
Different occupancy classifications under the building code, and therefore subject to different requirements and standards (lots of overlap though too). If I recall correctly, hotels are R1 and apartment complexes are R2.
Thanks. It would be interesting to know the common sense rationale for the different standards. I can see how people might be packed-in slightly tighter in a hotel, but on the other hand, it seems like a lot more electrical appliances would be used in apartments.

I just don't see a huge difference between a 400 sqft hotel room and a 600 sqft studio apartment.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:06 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Thanks. It would be interesting to know the common sense rationale for the different standards. I can see how people might be packed-in slightly tighter in a hotel, but on the other hand, it seems like a lot more electrical appliances would be used in apartments.

I just don't see a huge difference between a 400 sqft hotel room and a 600 sqft studio apartment.
You are so right.

Many hotel chains may not franchise a tinderbox because of the negative effect a tragic fire might have on the whole brand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary