Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 08:04 AM

2 posts, read 6,050 times

Advertisements

Hi, I want my children (10 and 13) to receive private soccer coaching. They are at beginner/ intermediate skill level. I am wanting to find out how to locate a good coach and also how much it would cost per class/ hour. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 09:44 AM

112 posts, read 112,063 times
I would honestly just advise against Private Coaching. Soccer is very much a Team game, you learn more by playing pick up soccer down the Park or playing for a School Team. Another good way is to watch Soccer on TV and watch the players positions on the pitch and the way they control the Ball. Even kicking the Ball against the side of a wall for hours can improve your game, learning to trap, head and shoot. Just my opinion but i think kids are overcoached here, just let them enjoy the greatest sport in the World with their mates.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:34 AM

725 posts, read 1,500,505 times
There are number of good coaches in the area. I can PM you if you are interested, about $30-$50 an hour for individual training has been my experience. There is a number of things a player will learn from individual training that they just can't get in a team training because the coach(es) can only focus on so many people at one time.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:49 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,457 times
Respectfully, and as someone who has coached youth soccer for fifteen years, the best approach to skills improvement are in group form (look for soccer camps and academies) and repetition. My oldest would watch soccer on television and play FIFA on whatever game system he had access to and then go out in the backyard and practice the moves he'd just witnessed. He would have friends over and they'd play in the backyard for hours.

The players I've had who developed over time did so by attending summer and after-school programs.

Is there a specific reason you were interested in one-on-one training?

Old 04-30-2015, 01:25 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,032,472 times
My girls have been playing soccer since they were 4, they are now 11 and 13, and I agree with everyone else, I would look for some camps this summer. Get them playing the game, learning the team part of it, and then supplement the camps with training. I have heard the Thori Bryan camp is very good, I am have had my girls attend the camp at Heritage High School, which they liked a lot.

Another option is look into Soccer Genome (I don't know where you are in the triangle, this is something close to me), they have camps, individual training, summer programs, etc.

Leigh

Old 04-30-2015, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 6,050 times
Thank you all for responding. I agree that soccer is a team sport and should be learnt in a team setting. Kids are in one of the local leagues but there is only so much attention the coach can provide in a group setting. It appears some one-on-one would help.

boardmember10000: Please PM any contact info you would like to share.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:45 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,934,977 times
We had a child who did the NC State summer soccer camps for a few years.

NC State Wolfpack Boys Soccer Camps - Wolfpack Boys Soccer Camp

https://wolfpacksoccerseries.com/ [Girls]

Old 05-01-2015, 01:13 PM

32 posts, read 96,282 times
Not everyone lives in a neighborhood with other kids that like soccer, so small group training is a decent alternative. Occasional one-on-one training is helpful if your kids want to go into competitive soccer and need help with specific aspects, but not necessary if they just want some fun out of it.

9ElementsIn1 offers both group skills sessions and individual lessons:

9ElementsIn1 for the All Around Player

Old 05-03-2015, 05:37 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,224,290 times
Boys or girls?

My daughters did private training around 12-15 and it was quite helpful for skill development, technique etc.

One option we used was checking with the local college programs, my daughters did private training with members of the UNC women's soccer team who often do private training on the side...we then found a recent college graduate/club and high school coach who played in college and she was phenomenal with my oldest, was well worth the time and money. She became a mentor even after she stopped training with her giving my daughter great advice and encouragement during her college recruitment process.

I am sure you could find the same on the men's side at UNC, NC State, Duke....I also know some of the Railhawks players offer private training.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:04 PM

245 posts, read 809,197 times
Go for it! Of course we know that soccer is a team sport, but what team doesn't love a player that can bring a little extra skill/spark/energy to the game? I have one classic player and two that may or may not end up playing beyond rec. What kills a lot of kids is a lack of confidence, and I think personal coaching is a fantastic way to build confidence. We often consider going this route, but frankly all these kids keep us busy enough with several activities without adding anything more to the schedule.

That said, I wish I could be more helpful... last year there was a website called goalacity, but it is now defunct. I would just call any/all of who was suggested above, other names to throw in the hat might be The Liberty Academy, SportHQ, and the staff at Carolina Railhawks Elite Technique.

I wish them both the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary