Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 03:02 PM

20 posts, read 84,823 times

Advertisements

What are the differences in the two and what type of vibe do each have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 05:24 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogloverof2 View Post
What are the differences in the two and what type of vibe do each have?
There are probably a hundred threads discussing this on this board (try the search feature!)

I would note it varies by the part of Durham/Raleigh you are talking about. The downtown/urban neighborhoods portion of Durham has more in common with "Inside the Beltline" Raleigh, than downtown Raleigh has with far northern Raleigh, or than downtown Durham has with Southpoint.

With that said, I tend to find Durham to be a very creative, smart, community-oriented, gritty, diverse city. I would say much the same about urban Raleigh; suburban/North Raleigh I tend to find a bit more Southern, professional/middle-class vibe, "SUVs taking kids to karate practice" kind of vibe.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:44 AM

748 posts, read 1,375,366 times
When we lived in Raleigh, we felt it was too spread out. There was nothing "close" . We moved to Durham and LOVE it. We live out in the "country" but still 10 minutes from downtown and all the restaurants/DPAC/shops. It will also depend on your priorities. i.e. if you have children at home, where your job is located, etc.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:06 AM

Thank you for the responses. I did search but can't find anything specific. I must be overlooking it? I am new to this. I am speaking of the down towns. I like the sounds of Durham due to it being gritty and diverse. It seems as if it has come a long way. We don't have children but have 2 dogs and work remotely so it's not an issue either. Do either have the vibe with people out and about? (not a ghost town per se) Is there stuff going on? I heard people are very friendly and from all over also.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:24 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Here's one thread you might review:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...gh-durham.html

Old 05-11-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Here's one thread you might review:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...gh-durham.html

OOOh, thank you.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:01 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogloverof2 View Post
Thank you for the responses. I did search but can't find anything specific. I must be overlooking it? I am new to this. I am speaking of the down towns. I like the sounds of Durham due to it being gritty and diverse. It seems as if it has come a long way. We don't have children but have 2 dogs and work remotely so it's not an issue either. Do either have the vibe with people out and about? (not a ghost town per se) Is there stuff going on? I heard people are very friendly and from all over also.
Neither downtown is a "ghost town" by any stretch! They do have different vibes, but it is hard to explain on here without really knowing you and what you want, and without you having seen both to know which one fits you better. there are Facebook groups and websites for both downtown Raleigh and downtown Durham.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:01 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
There are probably a hundred threads discussing this on this board (try the search feature!)

I would note it varies by the part of Durham/Raleigh you are talking about. The downtown/urban neighborhoods portion of Durham has more in common with "Inside the Beltline" Raleigh, than downtown Raleigh has with far northern Raleigh, or than downtown Durham has with Southpoint.

With that said, I tend to find Durham to be a very creative, smart, community-oriented, gritty, diverse city. I would say much the same about urban Raleigh; suburban/North Raleigh I tend to find a bit more Southern, professional/middle-class vibe, "SUVs taking kids to karate practice" kind of vibe.
This is a good summation but I'll disagree that suburban/north Raleigh is a bit more Southern and I'll emphasize that it has more in common with southern Durham (especially the Southpoint area). If I really stretched it further, I can argue that Southpoint is actually more like Cary, Wake Forest, Holly Springs and Apex than the suburban areas of north Raleigh, which were largely developed a few decades earlier.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Neither downtown is a "ghost town" by any stretch! They do have different vibes, but it is hard to explain on here without really knowing you and what you want, and without you having seen both to know which one fits you better. there are Facebook groups and websites for both downtown Raleigh and downtown Durham.

Thanks for letting me know about the FB pages. I will check them out. We like a walkable area with bars and restaurants. No so much into hipsters or white collar but more laid back and diverse individuals. I think gritty is a good term used by others.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:35 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
If you want "gritty," Durham's the place for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary