Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 11:39 AM

12 posts, read 11,376 times

Advertisements

I have been following this board for the past several weeks and doing research on my own, but thought it was finally time to post a new thread to see if what we are looking for is realistic.

There is a good chance that I'll be transferred with my current company to Durham. My husband is a web developer so if we do relocate he would be looking for a new position as well (his company would not allow him to work remotely and/or do they have any locations in NC). That being said the location of his job is obviously undecided.

We would of course rent a home first before looking to buy. But we have been looking at what areas potentially (if any) would be feasible for what we are looking for. We are taking another trip to the area to see for ourselves and while we are there we would like to explore what areas/communities fit what we are looking for housing wise. When we do buy our budget is up to 225K/250K tops. Ideally we are looking for a home that is a bit off the beaten track, we aren't opposed to having neighbors, but would love to have something a bit less "suburban" if possible. Enough space for a larger sized yard where we could have a garden, place for the dog to run, etc....4 or 5 bedrooms. School district is important. Since I would be working in Durham something within a 30-40 minute drive from that area would be ideal.

When we go out there next week we would love to explore any towns/areas that fit this profile. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 11:45 AM

109 posts, read 169,228 times
Where are you working in Durham, roughly? Commutes to different parts vary wildly. And what school district years? Elementary/middle/high?

Old 05-14-2015, 11:49 AM

Thank you for your reply! The American Tobacco Campus is where the position is located.
School district years - Elementary at this point would be the most important.....

Thanks!

Old 05-14-2015, 12:05 PM

109 posts, read 169,228 times
I'd focus on N. Durham, especially areas that have Little River as the elementary school. Or you could look at Sandy Ridge, and there may be other good schools. I'd look at Orange County though a bit of a long shot (I imagine it might be hard to find anything in Hillsborough in that price range anymore, but maybe it is possible. I think Chapel Hill/Carrboro city limits are out of your range.) And look at Chatham Co. The commute might be pushed but the schools have a good rep.

Five bedrooms would be more difficult. It is possible to find older homes even in suburban areas that might have what you are looking at. So some S. Durham homes might work. A lot of the suburbs are really dog friendly.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:51 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by November6 View Post
...When we do buy our budget is up to 225K/250K tops. Ideally we are looking for a home that is a bit off the beaten track, we aren't opposed to having neighbors, but would love to have something a bit less "suburban" if possible. Enough space for a larger sized yard where we could have a garden, place for the dog to run, etc....4 or 5 bedrooms. School district is important.
You might check the nearby Granville County area: Creedmoor, Stem, Rougement. If you see older homes with acreage, they might need work. Schools are average.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:08 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,573,818 times
Bahama, north of Durham, has some nice houses with enough land to suit your needs. We sold a nice three bedroom with 2+ acres there a few years ago for 196K.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:42 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
4 to 5 bedrooms for $250k is hard anywhere in this area. You could easily do a 3 bedroom, but for 4 that seems low. You'd most likely be looking at an older home. I'd stick to Durham if you have to have that much space at that low of a price. Schools are hit and miss. There are some really great ones. Almost any in-town older neighborhood will be dog and garden friendly in Durham.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:20 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Check out North Raleigh and older, but classy neighborhoods. You'll get the schools and commute, maybe not as big a house, and possible up to 1/2 acre, but it will cost $100k+ more. To have a short commute and schools, you'd need to give up the land for .25 acre if you re lucky, and do with 3 bedrooms and maybe a bonus room. You might be able to find the house you want, but the drive would be 40-50 mins. and the schools so so. Too many variables to give you an example of what you can get. A realtor chat is what you need to find out where that sweet spot is for you.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:49 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times
Unless your into restoration work that budget work not get you that large of a home in Raleigh/Durham proper. If you worked further east I'd say Wendell,Zebulon area but I'm less familiar with the small towns on the western side of Durham. Cary and Apex wouldn't fit the bill either. Wouldn't be surprised if Mebane was an option.

Old 05-17-2015, 03:03 PM

Thank you! I have done a lot of research this weekend based off of these suggestions.

A couple of questions, what about Wake Forest? I've found a few properties online and the mileage from work is 20-24 miles depending on the home. What are people's opinions on Wake Forest? Do people normally not commute from Durham to Wake Forest?

I also found places in the suggested Creedmoor. From what I've read on this blog concerns are with poor water. Is that still a concern? I am wondering if anyone lives in Creedmoor and can give their opinion on the area?

Thank you again for the help!

Last edited by November6; 05-17-2015 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: Missed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary