Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 07:26 AM

544 posts, read 852,404 times

Advertisements

Anyone else having issues with these d*** Time Warner digital adapters?

I recently installed three of them, and on different days and on different TVs noticed that the first few words of dialogue in a program were at a reduced volume, and would then come up to full volume – almost as if there was a noise gate on the signal (for those familiar with PA gear)

If the sound and dialogue were constant, the volume stayed up, but if there was a pause in the sound, the first few words of dialogue would be at a reduced volume. I thought I was imagining it, but my daughter noticed it too.

And during one show, the picture was breaking up badly, like bad satellite reception.

In frustration I called TW intent on canceling the service, she suggested they have a tech come out and check the adapters. After I mentioned I could very easily go get a Roku 3 and sign up for Sling TV for 20 bucks a month, she knocked $20 off my monthly rate.

#cantwaitforgooglefiber
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 07:41 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
Yeah, to put it simple the adapters suck. I am only using two adapters. Both show pictures like I have a satellite. The picture will get "hung up" and act like there is no signal. I have had them installed for about 3 weeks now and on one set I have had to reset the adapter because it was telling me it had detected in interruption in service and to call the service provider even though there was no interruption.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:51 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Funny I was having that problem before the adapters. So annoying. We keep losing the signal though. We have the ROKU and probably aren't going to be with a cable provider much longer as sling is next up for purchase. My son watches baseball games in his iPhone!

Old 05-15-2015, 12:10 PM

6,821 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Why are we doing this? I thought cable went digital years ago??? I've been seeing these messages in my neighborhood fitness center.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:23 PM

580 posts, read 712,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Funny I was having that problem before the adapters. So annoying. We keep losing the signal though. We have the ROKU and probably aren't going to be with a cable provider much longer as sling is next up for purchase. My son watches baseball games in his iPhone!
Us too. The program vs. the commercials, etc. are at different volumes.
We did not put in the new adapters yet. What's the deadline for doing that? I thought 5/5 but everything is still working.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:37 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
TWC has horrible equipment. For those of you who can spare a few extra dollars and for whom television is a primary source of entertainment, switch to DirecTV and be done with it.

Sometimes I just play with the myriad options on my DirecTV Genie and conjure up memories of the persistent frustration with TWC to remind myself how fortunate I am. Imagine how much less stress you'd have using equipment that is well designed and actually works the way it's supposed to?

And yeah, I know, this is an obnoxious anti-TWC rant, but I feel as if though it's also partially providing a public service as well.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:13 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Why are we doing this? I thought cable went digital years ago??? I've been seeing these messages in my neighborhood fitness center.
Broadcast TV went digital years ago.

Cable has been converting more and more of its bandwidth from analog to digital over the past several years. Until now, the "basic" channels have continued to be available in analog format. No longer. In addition, TWC is encrypting its signals - no TWC box, no channels

Old 05-15-2015, 04:25 PM

5,149 posts, read 3,758,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
TWC has horrible equipment. For those of you who can spare a few extra dollars and for whom television is a primary source of entertainment, switch to DirecTV and be done with it.

Sometimes I just play with the myriad options on my DirecTV Genie and conjure up memories of the persistent frustration with TWC to remind myself how fortunate I am. Imagine how much less stress you'd have using equipment that is well designed and actually works the way it's supposed to?

And yeah, I know, this is an obnoxious anti-TWC rant, but I feel as if though it's also partially providing a public service as well.
My TWC promo for their Triple Play is going to run out in July and satellite is one of the things I am thinking about going to. How often do you lose the signal in inclement weather? I see they have some very attractive packages for new users and I wonder what the price will go to one their promotional period ends. Another thing I thought about was the placement of the dish itself. Can they stick it in the backyard regardless of the direction it has to face?

Old 05-15-2015, 05:38 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,656,730 times
I have two of those adapters plus the older Scientific Atlanta DVR and the brand new Cicso DVR. I haven't noticed anything like what you're describing.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:42 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Another thing I thought about was the placement of the dish itself. Can they stick it in the backyard regardless of the direction it has to face?
Try out this site:

Satellite Finder / Dish Alignment Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary