Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 04:50 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times

Advertisements

The draw of Wegmans to me is the prepared foods (lots of options and food bars), the bakery, and the entertainment in some of the locations. They will be in direct competition with Whole Foods Cary in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 09:02 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
I feel like all having a Wegmans in NC would do is give northern transplants around here even more "now that we have Wegmans down here absolutely everything about my life is better here than up there" bragging rights to those "suckers" they left behind up north; while simultaneously getting to say "see....I told you guys it was so much better than anything down here!" to locals.

No thanks.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:01 PM

84 posts, read 91,179 times
When "premium" grocers move into an area, the mainstream ones feel the sales vacuum as the local consumers are drawn to the shiny new stores out of curiosity, without realizing or caring too much about the increase to their monthly food bill. They have new shopping options and a shake up to their normal boring routine, so they go happily along.

Problem is, existing grocers must now invest in remodeling to keep up with the joneses. These shoppers have been spoiled by the new "premium shopping experience" grocers, and are looking for bling-food and pastries and in-house puppet shows and flutists with pointy ears that can prove their musical instrument was made from organic bamboo and do pirouettes and hand out free pies made with milk from goats that were milked humanely (certified to have had only James Taylor playing on the radio whilst milking in progress).

The end result is that the existing grocers must raise prices and do away with value items to remain competitive. If they don't, they disappear.

In the long run, the city becomes like Manhattan, treacherously expensive to live.

Be careful what you wish for.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:53 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iota20 View Post
When "premium" grocers move into an area, the mainstream ones feel the sales vacuum as the local consumers are drawn to the shiny new stores out of curiosity, without realizing or caring too much about the increase to their monthly food bill. They have new shopping options and a shake up to their normal boring routine, so they go happily along.

Problem is, existing grocers must now invest in remodeling to keep up with the joneses. These shoppers have been spoiled by the new "premium shopping experience" grocers, and are looking for bling-food and pastries and in-house puppet shows and flutists with pointy ears that can prove their musical instrument was made from organic bamboo and do pirouettes and hand out free pies made with milk from goats that were milked humanely (certified to have had only James Taylor playing on the radio whilst milking in progress).

The end result is that the existing grocers must raise prices and do away with value items to remain competitive. If they don't, they disappear.

In the long run, the city becomes like Manhattan, treacherously expensive to live.

Be careful what you wish for.
I agree. When I lived in Manhattan, it was easy to find a boutique, but try a hardware store.

North Hills is a prime example of this in Raleigh. The post office, DMV tag agency, and Petland disappeared because they were not high class enough for the new target audience.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:04 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I feel like all having a Wegmans in NC would do is give northern transplants around here even more "now that we have Wegmans down here absolutely everything about my life is better here than up there" bragging rights to those "suckers" they left behind up north; while simultaneously getting to say "see....I told you guys it was so much better than anything down here!" to locals.

No thanks.
Is this an SNL skit?

Old 06-21-2015, 09:17 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Is this an SNL skit?
It should be because it's pretty spot on. Tar heel Nick and iota20 made 2 very good post. I'm guilty of wanting to go to the new shiny thing too. Food lion is doing a massive remodeling of their stores right now. I live in Garner and both locations near me are a construction zone. Same for Lowes.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:22 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I don't miss Wegmans at ALL. The tile in the produce department made the cart go "BANGETY BANGETY BANGETY BANGETY BANGETY.........." by the time I got past the meat dept, I was in a state of sensory overload. It was big, and noisy and had too many choices. There were plenty of 'gourmet' items...that I cannot afford. Wegman's has good store brands. Guess what? So does Food Lion.

The Wegman's they built near my mom's house in Northern Virginia has several chefs cooking all kinds of food. Why do i need to eat in the grocery store when I can go to a restaurant? They also have a feckin' catering hall. wth? My mom drives 45 minutes to get there. Where's the savings in that?
One simple question:

What gives you, and a supposedly-enlightened few, a right to sit in judgment for the rest of us??

Old 06-21-2015, 09:54 AM

84 posts, read 91,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
One simple question:

What gives you, and a supposedly-enlightened few, a right to sit in judgment for the rest of us??
Who exactly is "us"? You're saying those of us who actually live in the triangle area are only as equally "enlightened" as someone in another state with strong curiosity about our local grocery situation here? If you're so horribly disturbed by someone in another state expressing their opinion, I think they have some prescription meds for things like that.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:14 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
I had no idea Wegmans was so contentious.

Even more than PIZZA and potatoes.

Who knew?

Old 06-21-2015, 10:21 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I had no idea Wegmans was so contentious.

Even more than PIZZA and potatoes.

Who knew?

It's all-encompassing.

Wegmans has pizza and potatoes under one roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary