Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:42 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,796 times

Advertisements

When I first started talking about moving to the Raleigh area I was warned to stay clear of Cary and Chapel Hill because Liberals live there. Oh no not Liberals I thought! Then I moved to the nice Conservative town of Wake Forest and decided to take my life in to my own hands and venture in to Cary to see what the effects were of the so-called Liberal infestation. To my surprise I didn’t see gangs of Liberals on street corners. I didn’t get car-jacked or attacked by a marauding group of Liberals. Instead all I saw was beautiful people in wealthy neighborhoods living in gorgeous homes. Then like a lighting bolt it hit me, what the heck is a Liberal? Since News Channel 14 hasn’t featured a special on Liberals yet would someone on this board please educate me as to what exactly a Liberal is? Thanks!

Old 01-19-2008, 07:59 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,427 times
Well, you have to watch out for liberals. We're a wily bunch and don't usually hang out on street corners. Usually you find us in places like organic grocery stores. Sometimes we infiltrate the public school PTAs and do things like organize fund raisers and lobby for more PE and music classes when needed. I know, this is shocking, so don't read on if you can't take it.

Liberals sometimes look like conservatives, and they are dubbed "limousine liberals"--in the past, liberals were often working-class people who sometimes were members of or in support of unions (such as the teacher's unions). Liberalism managed to seep into the moneyed classes (those sneaky communists!!!) and liberals started to care about things like the enivronment (hence all the Priuses at the Oscars last year), protecting green space in our communities, and hatred of Wal Mart (are low prices on substandard cr*p REALLY worth the happiness of 7 year olds in Asian sweatshops? Liberals think not!). These so-called "limousine liberals" are the ones who can afford organic food.

Liberals might look like average Americans, but they're not. They obviously fooled you!! But clearly you managed to "pass" in Cary, so my guess would be that if a liberal managed to cross into the tightly controlled borders of Wake Forest, you might not recognize him/her. In fact, (gasp!) your neighbor might actually BE one. There might even be a secret Liberal cell in your neighborhood, plotting to take over Wake Forest!! And given the way President Bush is doing, it might not even be hard!

I hope you built a bomb shelter or a safe room in your new house.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:28 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,634,449 times
Discussion concerning "liberal" or "conservative" areas in the RDU forum and the impact these political views have on the local communities is fine but once the chatter starts going in the direction of national politics then the thread will be closed. This type of topic usually turns into a slug fest in the state forums so we will keep a close eye on this one. Thanks everyone.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:51 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,344 times
I think that Cary is leans towards the conservative end of the spectrum. Try hitting durham or chapel hill on earth day to get a true liberal experience.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:44 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
Judging by all the W stickers on the gas guzzlers in Cary, I've never seen it as very liberal politically.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:58 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,027 times
The Liberal v Conservative battle at the local level is usually fought over taxes and schools, which sometimes are the same thing. A Conservative may not like a book, to make something up, such as "Jack has two dads" being read in the schools. Why a liberal may want to push more of a progressive health curriculum detailing safe sex. The Conservative would prefer this to be taught in the home.
A liberal want to help families raise children through government programs, while the Conservative would prefer fewer Government entitlements and a lower tax burden.

Left----Liberal----moderate----neutral----moderate----conservative----right
Micheal----Hillary---McCain---Bill O'Reilly---Mitt Romney---Thompson- R.Paul
Moore

Old 01-19-2008, 09:59 AM

708 posts, read 1,296,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
When I first started talking about moving to the Raleigh area I was warned to stay clear of Cary and Chapel Hill because Liberals live there. Oh no not Liberals I thought! Then I moved to the nice Conservative town of Wake Forest and decided to take my life in to my own hands and venture in to Cary to see what the effects were of the so-called Liberal infestation. To my surprise I didn’t see gangs of Liberals on street corners. I didn’t get car-jacked or attacked by a marauding group of Liberals. Instead all I saw was beautiful people in wealthy neighborhoods living in gorgeous homes. Then like a lighting bolt it hit me, what the heck is a Liberal? Since News Channel 14 hasn’t featured a special on Liberals yet would someone on this board please educate me as to what exactly a Liberal is? Thanks!
Gosh are you republicans all the same? I suspect not. Neither are liberals, or basically any other group. This world is made up of individuals, some of whom share the same values and beliefs.

For me, and I only speak for myself, a liberal cares about other people. I wouldn't mind a tax hike (gasp) for me if it could benefit those who are less fortunate than myself. I recycle and I carry my own bags to the grocery store, as it takes 1,000 years (at least) for a plastic bag to decompose, and it takes 14 MILLION trees being cut down just for the paper bags we cart home and then throw out. I drive a hybrid car because it not only saves me money every month on gas, but it helps the earth because of my lower emissions. I actually care about that, but I wouldn't lecture you if you drive a gas guzzling SUV, although I would hope one day everyone would see the big picture, which is we all need to get along and take care of this beautiful earth that we have been given.

I am not hateful toward any group, although I do have a hard time with people that are filled with hate towards others for no reason other than skin color or opposite beliefs.

I believe in volunteering in your community to help others, and I don't have to wear a flag pin to show how patriotic I am.

Liberals, in my opinion, have a creed... to live and let live. Not too shabby of a philosophy.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:01 AM

932 posts, read 1,273,599 times
your post made me laugh...thanks!

Chapel Hill is probably the most liberal area around...everywhere else is fairly conservative, imo...

Old 01-19-2008, 10:30 AM

123 posts, read 96,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Judging by all the W stickers on the gas guzzlers in Cary, I've never seen it as very liberal politically.
Ironically, W is much more liberal than his supporters

Old 01-19-2008, 10:44 AM

174 posts, read 570,406 times
Didn't Jesse Helms oppose the creation of the North Carolina Zoo by suggesting they just put a fence around Chapel Hill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary