U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 10:02 AM
cmd cmd started this thread

50 posts, read 115,185 times

Advertisements

We plan on applying to a YR school for the 2008-09 school year. We want a certain track. If we get into/accept YR but not the track we want, can we reject the YR seat and go back to our base school?

Thanks
CMD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 11:53 AM

334 posts, read 859,286 times
Hi,

I *THINK* (so, please if I am wrong, someone correct me) that the principal assigns students to tracks... so you'd theoretically already HAVE to be accepted into the Y/R school before you'd know what track you're on...

I am not sure if you can turn it down once you've accepted.. -- if anything, I've bumped this question up for you so someone who may know better can answer it for ya

Old 01-19-2008, 12:29 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,810,681 times
I had a year round school as my base last year, and I could not do what you are asking.

I think you can do what you are asking because your base is traditional. You can apply to the year round school and they will tell you if you were accepted and the track, then you have to "accept" back to them, with paperwork. So, my guess is, you can just not accept and let your base school know you will be attending there.

Leigh

Old 01-19-2008, 12:32 PM

718 posts, read 2,663,238 times
Yes, you can stay at your base school(traditional), you will not have to take a track you don't want.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:44 PM

Thanks. Yes, my base school is a traditional and will be traditional for 2008-09. Our YR option is having an open house next week. Hopefully, I'll get more info then.

Thanks again.

CMD

Old 01-21-2008, 08:05 AM

93 posts, read 255,904 times
Default Year Round School Question

Quote:
can we reject the YR seat and go back to our base school?
The biggest problem with what you want to do is that you have to apply and than if you don't like the track than you have apply back in your traditional school. I will sugest that you ask the current schooll if you can try and if the track is not suitable your kids can go back to the current school. Please don't take hance and you get stuck with home schoolinf for that year. I hope this was helpful. Good luck.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:15 AM

8,264 posts, read 21,806,347 times
Yes you can. We did this as well.

They will send you a letter in the spring either saying that you WERE or were NOT accepted into your school of choice. If it's YR, they will TELL you which track you are assigned to. If you do not like the track, you send them the letter back denying the seat that was offered to you and you will automatically be assigned back to your base school.

BUT, if you send the letter back stating that you accept the assignent and then change your mind later and decide you don't want to go, you cannot automatically switch back to your base. You can request a tranfer back to your base school, but if it's an overcrowded school, you may have a tough time. Think long and hard about whether you want to accept or deny your assignment from the beginning. As long as you turn down your seat when it's offered and during the time frame they give you to send the form back, you'll have no problem going back to your base.

That said, it is TRUE that principals make the track assignments and track changes and after one year on your assigned track, you can request a track change. It's up to the principal of the school to decide whther or not to change your track.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Yes you can. We did this as well.

They will send you a letter in the spring either saying that you WERE or were NOT accepted into your school of choice. If it's YR, they will TELL you which track you are assigned to. If you do not like the track, you send them the letter back denying the seat that was offered to you and you will automatically be assigned back to your base school.

BUT, if you send the letter back stating that you accept the assignent and then change your mind later and decide you don't want to go, you cannot automatically switch back to your base. You can request a tranfer back to your base school, but if it's an overcrowded school, you may have a tough time. Think long and hard about whether you want to accept or deny your assignment from the beginning. As long as you turn down your seat when it's offered and during the time frame they give you to send the form back, you'll have no problem going back to your base.

That said, it is TRUE that principals make the track assignments and track changes and after one year on your assigned track, you can request a track change. It's up to the principal of the school to decide whther or not to change your track.
I hope I'm understanding this corectly: when you apply for YR, do you put your track request on the application? So when you get your acceptance letter, you already know what track you'll be on?

CMD

Old 01-21-2008, 12:19 PM

Yes, they ask you to rank the 4 track options in order of which you want first, second, third and fourth on the application.

When you get your letter (and you will get one either way saying that you were or were not accepted), it will tell you exactly which track you are being offered. If you accept it, you are agreeing to accept that track (although I have "heard" that some people are able to get their track changed by the principal after accepting, but that is definitley not a guarantee).

Old 01-21-2008, 12:28 PM

Also, I should add this little bit of info: On the application, you can apply to 3 magnets and one YR. We were told at one time that if you apply to and accept a seat in a YR school, you will NOT be accepted to a magnet and vice versa.

For example: my neighbor really wanted YR school for her daughter, but she was accepted into a magnet. They accepted the magnet seat but thought that if a YR seat opened up (someone who was accepted, but turned down their offer) they would be offered a spot in the YR. This is NORMALLY the case if you were NOT accepted into anything. They may later offer you a seat in one of the schools you picked.

Evidently, your application gets booted from the system once you accept your assignment to one or the other. Meaning, even if a spot opens up in your school of first choice before school starts (they keep accepting kids during the summer) you will not even be in their system anymore. I can se ehow this makes sense for magnet schools (ie: you were accpetd into one magnet and even if it wasn't your first choice, they wouldn't offer you a seat n a nother one later), but it doesn't really make sense for YR versus magnet.
My neighbor was really disappointed with this policy because she had hoped that if a spot opened up in the YR school she would have been offered a spot, but evidently that's not how it works.
I hope this makes sense...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary