Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 07:31 PM

360 posts, read 516,160 times

Advertisements

I love the protected bike lanes btw! Awesome.

Odds we'd actually get funds for that kind of infrastructure project?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 08:16 PM

5,130 posts, read 3,745,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherTransplant View Post
I love the protected bike lanes btw! Awesome.

Odds we'd actually get funds for that kind of infrastructure project?

Cut teacher salaries.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:04 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,540,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherTransplant View Post

I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen someone blow right through a stop sign in a car. I see people on bikes do it a lot.

I carry smartphone with me while in car or on bike and my goal this summer is to photograph the first bicyclist I see actually stop at a stop sign and I promise to post link to photo here!

Old 05-21-2015, 09:09 PM

153 posts, read 194,537 times
They need to rethink the bike lanes and designated bike routes we already have. Most of them were designated decades ago on what are now extremely busy roads that no sane rider would want to ride on, and then drivers wonder why we are on the side roads that do not have bike lanes.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:10 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,540,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone driving a car just blow through a stop sign or red light ... and it scares the cr*p out of me.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone driving a car with a cell phone in one hand and a coffee in the other. Makes one wonder how they are steering!
Responsible bike-riders do follow the rules. You may have seen the irresponsible ones.

Recent example of a car going through a red light, per Cary PD:
Police to Citizen - View Report

Old 05-21-2015, 09:17 PM

386 posts, read 605,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
I carry smartphone with me while in car or on bike and my goal this summer is to photograph the first bicyclist I see actually stop at a stop sign and I promise to post link to photo here!
I'll let you know when I'm on the roads

Old 05-21-2015, 09:24 PM

153 posts, read 194,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
You must not look very hard. Of course that's understandable, the giant groups that ride around like they are in the Tour de France draws everyone's attention, and they most defiantly do not follow any traffic laws, They make people think that is how all cyclists are.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:29 PM

203 posts, read 327,332 times
I feel like the biggest issue with those who ride bikes on the road is that there is no required safety training or test like when you get a license to drive a car. If you are on the road, you should have to prove that you know what you're doing. Bicycles can be just as deadly to cars if the person driving by is trying to avoid the cyclist and doesn't know what to expect (darting out in different directions, no signaling, not stopping, etc.). The impression I've gotten from watching bikes on the roads is that 99% of them probably have no idea that they are supposed to obey the traffic laws. Yes, some people who drive cars are jerks and choose not to stop at stop signs or yield right-of-way, but it's kind of hard to believe that almost every single person on a bike is a jerk doing the same thing. It's clear that they just aren't aware of the rules (and responsibilities) of riding a bike on the road. Dedicated bike lanes would be nice, but what we really need is cycling education for both cyclists and car drivers so that when they meet each other they have some idea of what to expect.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:45 PM

386 posts, read 605,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR417303 View Post
I feel like the biggest issue with those who ride bikes on the road is that there is no required safety training or test like when you get a license to drive a car. If you are on the road, you should have to prove that you know what you're doing. Bicycles can be just as deadly to cars if the person driving by is trying to avoid the cyclist and doesn't know what to expect (darting out in different directions, no signaling, not stopping, etc.). The impression I've gotten from watching bikes on the roads is that 99% of them probably have no idea that they are supposed to obey the traffic laws. Yes, some people who drive cars are jerks and choose not to stop at stop signs or yield right-of-way, but it's kind of hard to believe that almost every single person on a bike is a jerk doing the same thing. It's clear that they just aren't aware of the rules (and responsibilities) of riding a bike on the road. Dedicated bike lanes would be nice, but what we really need is cycling education for both cyclists and car drivers so that when they meet each other they have some idea of what to expect.
I can agree with some sort of safety training or class. Not sure about making it mandatory as of now but making it available to the community would be a good start. I drive a car 95% of the time so I'm pretty familiar with the rules of the road and that a bike is defined as a vehicle.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:19 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
Most of the cyclists I see are following "the rules of the road" as my Driver's Ed teacher used to say. They stop at stop signs and give hand signals when they're turning. Sorry you've run into some bad ones. Love those protected bike lanes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary