Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 06:25 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Costco, BJs, TrueCar, USAA, AAA and others offer a very good service. However, you can usually get a better price IF you want to go through the hassle of negotiating with the dealership.
Depends on the vehicle, model and the location. In Phoenix, buying Honda and sometimes Toyota, we could do a bit better ourselves. In Raleigh, we could do slightly better with Toyota, but Honda and Hyundai weren't close at all. In fact, on a twenty thousand dollar Hyundai Sonata, the USAA dealership saved us over $1,000. I'd call that considerable savings. AND delivered the vehicle to our home from Fayetteville.

We are not emotional about cars. I'm an ex accountant. Husband used to sell cars and was a manager in car dealerships, then he OENED a business that taught newbies how to sell cars! Obviously, He knows how to negotiate, while I'm stubborn as hell. We've walked out of more dealerships without the car than we have with a new car. We negotiate very well, but have no ego invested in beating the crap out of a car salesman. (And those that do should hear the stories told by the sales guys you think you beat up. )

Whatever - YMMV. We'll ALWAYS check the USAA price before setting foot in the dealership. If it's within a couple of hundred of what I have already decided we're willing to pay, I'm taking it and happy to avoid the agony and hassle if haggling. My ego places a high value on my time, energy and aggravation level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 10:16 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,164 times
I am a member of USAA, but they did not give me the price I wanted, so I called and emailed ~50 dealers and got not only the car but the color and options for a price cheaper than USAA.

I have seen the best prices anywhere on a Hyundai thru USAA.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:35 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
I am a member of USAA, but they did not give me the price I wanted, so I called and emailed ~50 dealers and got not only the car but the color and options for a price cheaper than USAA.

I have seen the best prices anywhere on a Hyundai thru USAA.
Just out of curiosity, what car were you looking at, and how much did you save? (We're not fussy - are usually open to 3 colors, minimum. Clearly, being flexible helps.)

Old 05-25-2015, 06:30 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,380 times
No it's true, without question if you know what you're doing, you can do a better job negotiating yourself, every time, every US market. USAA doesn't take into account things like trunk money and dealer incentives from the MFR, as well as other tools to get the price down even beyond the best "negotiated" rate.

Again though, for convenience, a car buying service is great. Or the "rfp"format described above. Those are the quickest ways to getting an avg of 80% of the deal with <20% of the effort.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:56 PM

454 posts, read 495,471 times
I bought a Jeep in NC about 15 years ago with an NJ license. There wasn't an issue.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:48 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,399,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Bulldogs View Post
I bought a Jeep in NC about 15 years ago with an NJ license. There wasn't an issue.
Really? Huh. Good to know. Did you do your financing in Jersey before you came, or you went through the dealership?

Old 05-25-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Depends on the vehicle, model and the location. In Phoenix, buying Honda and sometimes Toyota, we could do a bit better ourselves. In Raleigh, we could do slightly better with Toyota, but Honda and Hyundai weren't close at all. In fact, on a twenty thousand dollar Hyundai Sonata, the USAA dealership saved us over $1,000. I'd call that considerable savings. AND delivered the vehicle to our home from Fayetteville.

We are not emotional about cars. I'm an ex accountant. Husband used to sell cars and was a manager in car dealerships, then he OENED a business that taught newbies how to sell cars! Obviously, He knows how to negotiate, while I'm stubborn as hell. We've walked out of more dealerships without the car than we have with a new car. We negotiate very well, but have no ego invested in beating the crap out of a car salesman. (And those that do should hear the stories told by the sales guys you think you beat up. )

Whatever - YMMV. We'll ALWAYS check the USAA price before setting foot in the dealership. If it's within a couple of hundred of what I have already decided we're willing to pay, I'm taking it and happy to avoid the agony and hassle if haggling. My ego places a high value on my time, energy and aggravation level.
Wait, a THOUSAND DOLLARS??! Ummmm, maybe I'm naive here, but when I talk about getting a deal on a new car? I mean a DEAL. I have a friend who's husband bought her a new Lexus SUV for her birthday; When he went into the dealership, the sticker price was $41K, he paid cash, and walked away paying $31K. That's a $10K savings! I used to work with a guy at UNC that bought a Nissan SUV from Michael Jordan Nissan in Durham; after test driving the car, and talking with the sales guy, he told him he needed $7K off the sticker price for the purchase to work for him. The salesman started in with the whole "Well....I can't do that sir" rigamarole, and so my coworker said fine, no problem, and started to leave. The salesman wouldn't let him go. Long story short? He got the $7K off that he was asking for! THIS is what I mean when I say a "deal." $500 or a $1000 incentive is a joke to me.

I plan to get financing prior to showing up at the dealership, and doing all my negotiating online. Showing up with a blank check is the same as cash, and gives me a bit more negotiating power. I hate dealerships, and I hate car salesman. When I show up at the dealership, all I want to do is sign on the dotted line, and be outta there in less than an hour; not hanging around forever, waiting. Maybe I'm living in an alternate reality, or maybe I'm what they call a "low baller," but I care not. I want a 2015 Nissan Murano, but I WON'T be paying $36K for it, and if I can't negotiate it into my budget, then I'll just move on.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:23 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
Wait, a THOUSAND DOLLARS??! Ummmm, maybe I'm naive here, but when I talk about getting a deal on a new car? I mean a DEAL. I have a friend who's husband bought her a new Lexus SUV for her birthday; When he went into the dealership, the sticker price was $41K, he paid cash, and walked away paying $31K. That's a $10K savings! I used to work with a guy at UNC that bought a Nissan SUV from Michael Jordan Nissan in Durham; after test driving the car, and talking with the sales guy, he told him he needed $7K off the sticker price for the purchase to work for him. The salesman started in with the whole "Well....I can't do that sir" rigamarole, and so my coworker said fine, no problem, and started to leave. The salesman wouldn't let him go. Long story short? He got the $7K off that he was asking for! THIS is what I mean when I say a "deal." $500 or a $1000 incentive is a joke to me.

I plan to get financing prior to showing up at the dealership, and doing all my negotiating online. Showing up with a blank check is the same as cash, and gives me a bit more negotiating power. I hate dealerships, and I hate car salesman. When I show up at the dealership, all I want to do is sign on the dotted line, and be outta there in less than an hour; not hanging around forever, waiting. Maybe I'm living in an alternate reality, or maybe I'm what they call a "low baller," but I care not. I want a 2015 Nissan Murano, but I WON'T be paying $36K for it, and if I can't negotiate it into my budget, then I'll just move on.
I read that as meaning $1,000 less than they could negotiate themselves, not $1,000 off sticker. Nothing in the post indicated the amount off sticker.

Let us know how your experience works out.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I read that as meaning $1,000 less than they could negotiate themselves, not $1,000 off sticker. Nothing in the post indicated the amount off sticker.

Let us know how your experience works out.
Yes, maybe that's true. I will keep you guys posted....

Old 05-26-2015, 05:45 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
OP, you CAN purchase a car in NC and have it registered and tagged in Georgia. Do you still have a Georgia address? Did you somehow cancel your Georgia license?

I bought a car in NC and the dealer registered it to my mom in VA.

Not all states require you to have a Drivers License in that state in order to register a car.

I can't imagine why any lender would care where you register the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary