Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 10:22 PM

134 posts, read 606,971 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My husband and I are looking to relocate to the Raleigh area with our 7 month old in less than a year. We've been advised that we should be able to get into a great neighborhood (where we're not next to a problem area or wouldn't be forced to move because we're even close to it if you know what I mean) with great schools for around $160 to $200K. We're doing searches in Cary (expensive though), Apex and Holly Springs and of course Raleigh. Someone mentioned Knightdale? And a new subdivision somewhere called Edgewater I think? Can anyone advise if our price range is dead on or if we're too low for the kind of neighborhood and schools we are looking for? We would be moving there without jobs so intend to purchase before the move. Also, can you advise an area that DOES have neighborhood schools that are great? I read something about Wake County school systems where the kids could go to a school miles away? We'd appreciate any input/assistance that would help. We've never even been there so have no clue what subdivisions to look at or stay away from. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 08:00 AM

93 posts, read 292,090 times
Default Relocation Info

Quote:
My husband and I are looking to relocate to the Raleigh area with our 7 month old in less than a year. We've been advised that we should be able to get into a great neighborhood (where we're not next to a problem area or wouldn't be forced to move because we're even close to it if you know what I mean) with great schools for around $160 to $200K. We're doing searches in Cary (expensive though), Apex and Holly Springs and of course Raleigh. Someone mentioned Knightdale? And a new subdivision somewhere called Edgewater I think? Can anyone advise if our price range is dead on or if we're too low for the kind of neighborhood and schools we are looking for? We would be moving there without jobs so intend to purchase before the move. Also, can you advise an area that DOES have neighborhood schools that are great? I read something about Wake County school systems where the kids could go to a school miles away? We'd appreciate any input/assistance that would help. We've never even been there so have no clue what subdivisions to look at or stay away from. Thanks in advance.
I think there is little information that you might want to provide us as you mentioned that you would like to be in the neighborhood where you have schools. My realtor experience is that as you child is very young and the baby doesn't have to be in school righ away so you have a choice to move into a neighbourhood that is growing. Check Tyon place subdivision this is close to Downtown Raleigh. The most important thing is where are you looking to work because by the time the baby grows old enough to go to school you guys have to be confortable in commuting back and forth to work. I think you still have time and you should think about that before the babies school. it is improtant to kno where the baby is going to school but the pices are different in every location of the town. If you don't mind commuting than school buses are availble through out the wake county and you can easily find a house that is in your price range. I hope this helps. good luck let us posted.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:21 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearljammer View Post
Hi All,

You might consider Apex. Schools are good. Location is good. Crime is low. Apex offers mostly decent commutes to employment centers.

Cary homes may cost a little more, but there are certainly homes in your price range, if you will consider resale homes.
The general excellence of the schools in the area supports housing prices.
Another reason is the level of public safety in Cary. Of course, no area is perfect, but Cary is always highly ranked in crime safety.
And Cary offers an excellent commute to RTP, Raleigh, or even to Cary.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:20 PM

90 posts, read 296,889 times
Seriously - Cary, Apex, Holly Springs and Knightdale probably all fit your post! And areas of Raleigh too. It really comes down to what you guys are comfortable with and where you are going to work and play.

They all have great houses in that price range. None are near Compton or Detroit (ha!). And all have schools that merit praise... and some concern. Really. Even my beloved Holly Springs, what with the issue of 'neighborhood' schools effecting a few of us here. I have nothing but great things to say about Holly Springs schools - but that's been my experience.

Cary, Apex, HS - all very safe (though, cough cough, HS is the safest statistically, I believe, though yesterday morning's armed robbery (two in 24 hours) may have blown that!) Cary, Apex and HS all have considerable charm and downtown areas that are very appealing. Cary is the biggest, Apex is the middle, Holly Springs is the smallest - but growing. All three have a mix of people from different parts of the globe - some people like that, some people hate it. And all three have active communities that are good for families.

And Raleigh and Knightdale certainly have some wonderful people singing their praises (that just isn't my neck of the proverbial woods.)

I adore Holly Springs because I'm very partial to it's town employees, elected officials, police, fire, EMS and to the emphasis on Parks and Recs, the library, the arts, etc. I can honestly say that I really like 90+% of the people I've met who lived here enough to want to have them over for dinner - and I'm not even that social! My neighbors in Cary might say the exact same thing, though, about Cary.

Bottom line, I guess, is that this part of the country has a LOT to offer - and I wouldn't worry too much about safety, finding great houses in that price range or even schools. My experience has been that we've got all that!

By the way - my house was in that range - 3-4 bedrooms, walking distance to our awesome school, old trees, a creek, 3/4 acre, established neighborhood with a pool... tons of kids, dogs, families. It may not be a "ritzy" neighborhood, but it is friendly, pretty and honestly a happy place to come home to.

Good luck!

Old 01-21-2008, 02:43 PM

757 posts, read 2,082,197 times
Default Apex

There are a couple of single family homes for sale in Scotts Mill right now for under $210,000. They are small, but it's very rare to find a house that inexpensive in that neighborhood. I know some people that live there and love it due to the safety, school systems, and more.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:53 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
Where will you and/or your husband be working? If in a more central part of the Triangle (i.e. RTP vs. Raleigh), you might consider Durham. There are some great neighborhoods in both northern & southwestern Durham that fall within your price range AND they have neighborhood schools. There is much to be learned about both Durham & Wake County schools by searching this site as the two school systems have very different approaches to assigning students to schools.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:56 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
i would advise not to buy until you come and see the area. every town has a different feel. you would be very surprised. also you dont know where you will be working so it will be hard to narrow down the areas. you would be surprised at how long of a drive you would have if you chose a home and then started to work somewhere just 20 miles away...it could take 45 minutes to an hour each way depending on traffic patterns...

Old 01-21-2008, 09:52 PM

Thanks to all of you for your replys. It's funny to hear about commuting because we are currently in silicon valley so a horror of a commute would be nothing new to us BUT it doesn't mean I want to jump right back in that. Unfortunately, we're coming out there cold turkey so no idea on jobs until we get there. Our main concern is getting a great home anywhere in the $150 to $180 range and be in a great neighborhood with some friendly folks (which doesn't seem like will be a problem). Please keep the suggestions coming. Oh, what is RTP? Or should I say, where?

Old 01-21-2008, 09:54 PM

P.S. You know that white cheese dip you get in Mexican restaurants? Well, that's NO WHERE to be found out here in Cali so let's just say I can't wait to get my hands on that stuff!!!! It's just the little things.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:01 PM

850 posts, read 3,624,898 times
Try Clayton, which is in Johnston County. Which means great schools without the bussing and other Wake county school issues (which for many isn't an issue..but for us, as relocaters it was too much to think about).

I agree with getting yourself here and really looking around at all the areas. You definately can find a house in your price range, it'll just depend on what you expect for that price.

Good luck with your adventure...we did it (relocated from NJ almost 3 years ago) and it was the best thing we ever did.
Lauren
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary