Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 02:21 AM

5,145 posts, read 3,754,118 times

Advertisements

I have a small piece of property that I want to start cutting myself and do not want a gas or electric powered mower. Has anyone had any experience using one of these old fashioned types of mowers on Bermuda?
I see they make an updated version for around $130 but some of the reviews I have been reading are negative. I would like to find an older mower but have no idea on where to look. I am in Durham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 04:02 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,379,700 times
I used to use one when I had a very small yard and thought it was fine. Why do you want an old one? The alignment of the blades is important, so a new one is probably better. Go to your local real hardware store (not a big box) and get one there.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:26 AM

5,145 posts, read 3,754,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I used to use one when I had a very small yard and thought it was fine. Why do you want an old one? The alignment of the blades is important, so a new one is probably better. Go to your local real hardware store (not a big box) and get one there.
I was thinking about getting an older one because some of the reviews that I read about some of the newer models complained about the handle mechanism breaking easily. Which one did you use if I could ask?

Old 06-04-2015, 04:51 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Old reel mowers used to show up at thrift stores all the time. We used one on a small yard when I was young. The trick was keeping all the moving parts oiled and the blades razor sharp. We had centipede and my dad kept the reel on a higher setting.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:54 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,379,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
I was thinking about getting an older one because some of the reviews that I read about some of the newer models complained about the handle mechanism breaking easily. Which one did you use if I could ask?
I don't even remember, sorry. A good, established local store will have a quality product, and will stand behind it.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:04 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
EBay shows hundreds of reel mowers.

Here's a classic:
Vintage 16 inch Craftsman Push Reel Lawn Mower Model 8138 Works Original Box | eBay

Old 06-04-2015, 05:38 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,588,957 times
Quote:
...I would like to find an older mower but have no idea on where to look. I am in Durham.
There's one listed on Craig's List right now!
Fiskars StaySharp reel mower

$99 with free delivery. In Durham. Fiskars, a respected name brand.

Last edited by danielbmartin; 06-04-2015 at 06:00 AM..

Old 06-04-2015, 06:50 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,133 times
They Suck. I cannot overstate this enough.

I bought one when I moved to Cary to maintain my small Bermuda lawn. I had ideal conditions-healthy grass, small flat lot. I tried it twice and put it on CL. It barely wanted to move let alone cut, and it was BRAND NEW. ANY twig or small branch jammed it. A complete exercise in futility.

I get the green thing. I wanted to do it too. I also wanted to be able to actually CUT my grass. So I bought a Honda. It is the least polluting of all gas mowers. It also does the best job and needs the least care. My first $399 Honda lasted me 10 years. I sold it for $150 and bought an HRX 217-my lawn is bigger and hillier than in the last house.

My current neighbor works for John Deere. He tried a reel mower on his centipede lawn. Then he brought home a prototype electric mower from JD that looks like a Roomba. His lawn looks like complete garbage. Guess what he uses to mow now? A Honda.

My other neighbor across the street ALSO works for John Deere. He has a beautiful fescue lawn with irrigation. Guess what he uses to mow? A Honda.

Get a Honda and be done with it. Find other ways to be green. Get a Prius or something. Don't waste your time. If your property is small and flat you can get the cheapest one they make.

My $.02

YMMV

FC

Old 06-04-2015, 07:15 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
I have a small piece of property that I want to start cutting myself and do not want a gas or electric powered mower. Has anyone had any experience using one of these old fashioned types of mowers on Bermuda?
I see they make an updated version for around $130 but some of the reviews I have been reading are negative. I would like to find an older mower but have no idea on where to look. I am in Durham.
How small is this piece of property? unless we're talking about a TINY strip of grass, get a gas mower.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:35 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,785,332 times
I use a reel mower. The twigs can be a huge pain if you have a lot of trees. Otherwise, it works very well. You just need to keep the blades sharpened and keep up with the grass. Once it gets too tall, it's very hard to use the reel mower. If that doesn't work for you - an electric mower can be a good alternative to a gas one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary