Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 02:10 PM

7 posts, read 8,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
If you choose an apartment or townhome in Brier Creek or elsewhere factor in your transportation costs for gas and parking. You could have zero transport costs in Chapel Hill if you're able to take the free buses. My spouse walks to work at UNC or occasionally take the buses.
very true. I will continue my search. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 04:31 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb2happy View Post
Recently moved from Upstate NY to NC to start a position at UNCH. I am having a terrible time finding an affordable place to live with my two daughters. The closer I get to Chapel Hill, the more expensive the apartments get. Hopefully someone on this forum will be able to provide some great suggestions. Here is what I'm looking for:

3bd Apartment/Townhouse in safe neighborhood with shopping and dining nearby. $1200/mo is my budget.
A great school district, specifically elementary and middle school high ratings with before school care.
< 30min commute time

I was excited to find the Village at Town Center Apartments which I believe is located in NE Raleigh, but was told that the commute from there to Chapel Hill would be horrid. Can anyone attest to this?

Every time I think I've found a good place, I look up the assigned school rating and have to continue my search because the schools are below average. It's been suggested that I look in the Morrisville, Brier Creek, and Apex areas or even the Davis Rd/Page Rd area in Durham. I'm not having any success.

Thanks in advance for your help!
I live in the area of the apartments you mentioned and a commute to Chapel Hill would be tough.

By the way, those apartments are small for the money, have low grade appliances, and very short on closets and storage.

UNC parking can be very costly. Try to find a place in Chapel Hill so you can use the free public transit

Old 06-04-2015, 08:11 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb2happy View Post
A great school district, specifically elementary and middle school high ratings with before school care.
BTW, in Chapel Hill you would most likely need after school care unless you're working 3rd shift. Elementary school starts at 7:50 and you can drop them off at 7:30. School dismisses at 2:30. There are school sponsored after school programs and many other places like the Y, etc, that pick up at school for their afterschool programs. Middle school starts at 8:10, I believe and high school starts the latest around 8:45.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:27 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times
OP, I'm in the same boat as you (congrats fellow UNC new hire!), except living in Chapel Hill is not an option for us because my wife got a job in Northeast Raleigh and doesn't want to be the one making the long commute.

I've found that $1200/mo is wishful thinking for the majority of what we're looking for. For your needs, I've seen listings in Morrisville and Raleigh 27603 that may be agreeable.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:08 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
many chapel hill employees live in south durham or pittsboro

Old 06-05-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
OP, I'm in the same boat as you (congrats fellow UNC new hire!), except living in Chapel Hill is not an option for us because my wife got a job in Northeast Raleigh and doesn't want to be the one making the long commute.

I've found that $1200/mo is wishful thinking for the majority of what we're looking for. For your needs, I've seen listings in Morrisville and Raleigh 27603 that may be agreeable.
Yes, I've come to that realization as well. I can find properties in and around Chapel Hill for $1200 or less but not particularly the kind of home/apartment I want to live in. If my budget was $1600+ for a 3bd then I'd be golden but thats unfortunately not the case.

I'll continue my search in Morrisville and will now look in Pittsboro per a couple of suggestions from this forum.

Thanks and good luck!

Old 06-05-2015, 01:23 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Another area that might be worth looking into is Hillsborough. It's northwest of Chapel Hill in Orange County - about 20 minutes away. It has a great, quaint downtown area, and prices are a lot cheaper than Chapel Hill.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Another area that might be worth looking into is Hillsborough. It's northwest of Chapel Hill in Orange County - about 20 minutes away. It has a great, quaint downtown area, and prices are a lot cheaper than Chapel Hill.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will have a look.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:17 PM

153 posts, read 194,562 times
A lot of UNC employee's live in the Pittsboro area. Its a straight shot up 15/501 to the campus.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:32 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
First of there are lots of apartments in Chapel Hill. You can DEFINITELY live in Chapel Hill if you want to. I see rentals for $1200 or under in nice neighborhoods. One thing to be aware of with the apartment complexes, though, is that many of them are full of students. This can be good or bad depending on your perspective. I know adults who live in Village West, the Villages (off Rock Creek Rd in Carrboro), Booker Creek, and others that I don't think are super studenty, but a lot of the newer apartment/condos are either aimed at very wealthy (140 Franklin St) or aimed at students whose parents have money (Shortbread Lofts, Courtyard Lofts, etc). I think it would really help if you could come visit and drive around and then you'd be able to see what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary