U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 02:12 AM

9,680 posts, read 23,448,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
1985? I'm thinking maybe you need to start working on getting over that.
As you get older, public transportation is more critical because of the poorly designed, unlighted roads in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 06:41 PM

32 posts, read 17,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyrun View Post
Hello all,

Recently moved to Raleigh for work. Currently lives with a roommate and are actively looking for my own apartment. I live about 15 minutes away from downtown Raleigh and would like to find an one bedroom apartment for the same travel distance, or no more than 20 minutes driving distance. I have been searching online, most of the apartments around 27607 area are over $800.00 for one bedroom without water and utilities. Most importantly, all of them seems to have terrify reviews- hidden fee, insects and etc.

I am looking for a decent one bedroom or studio apartment, hopefully not over $800.00 per month. Please make some suggestions. Thanking you in advance for your help!

P.S. I miss NYC.
I just finished a month-long apartment search since I am moving to the area from Greenville, N.C. where I pay about $500 per month with a utility included. I read hundreds of reviews on all of the major sites and visited dozens of properties. I will say that while the reviews are, of course, overwhelmingly biased toward the negative, if you see several recent reviews with similar complaints, it's likely true.

During my search I found almost nothing that was lower than $800. Even for a 1br/1ba, most of what I found in OK areas were $900 and up and included no utilities. If you want to live downtown, you're going to pay a premium in almost every instance and units go incredibly fast.

Application fees range from $100-200 and there also now are "administrative fees" which can be $150-$200. Pet fees (not refundable, not a deposit) were about $250-$400 and everywhere also requires a pet rent now at about $20-$30.

But by all means, ask questions of property management or the owner especially since you won't be able to view the apartment yourself, something I always warn against. Ask anything and everything and never, ever feel uncomfortable asking questions. I actually had several complexes think I was "shopping" them as if I were a property secret shopper because I asked so many specific questions over the phone, email and in person. If a property won't answer questions about their policies, condition of buildings and facilities, or reviews you've seen, that's a huge red flag in my experience. Within reason, they shouldn't balk at any questions you have.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:07 PM

122 posts, read 94,202 times
Apartments up and down Avent Ferry are close-ish to downtown, safe, and around that price. The reviews are patchy, but that's true for most every place. Pick somewhere with cons you can live with.

Centerview at Crossroads has 1 Bedrooms at $865. Good location, great amenities.

Concord Apartments is nice. It's over by Umstead/Crabtree mall. I've never timed the commute from there to downtown, but I'd guess around 20 minutes during rush hour.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:11 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,486,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
We left Manhattan in 1985...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or