U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 12:15 PM

6 posts, read 5,655 times

Advertisements

Just chiming in ... I'm on the Buyers side in Cary right now, and have been struggling a bit to keep up with trying to see houses as soon as they hit the market, but before they're sold. I live out of town, so I'm basically at the mercy of whatever hit the market on Friday when I visit on a Saturday to house hunt. Most homes that I see online the week prior to my visit are already "Pending" by the time I get there. According to some local real estate people, the average Days on Market in the area is 4, which is really short!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 05:35 PM

31,696 posts, read 55,531,149 times
So, you write the offer and then see the house.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:39 PM

84 posts, read 69,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
So, you write the offer and then see the house.
Agree to buy a home sight unseen? On a flipper reality show yes. In reality, no thanks.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota20 View Post
Agree to buy a home sight unseen? On a flipper reality show yes. In reality, no thanks.
Agent tours the house. Confers with client.
Client writes an offer. Then sees the house.

It happens often. It isn't bought until it is bought.

The poster needs another suggestion, if being aggressive is not the answer.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:10 PM

84 posts, read 69,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Agent tours the house. Confers with client.
Client writes an offer. Then sees the house.

It happens often. It isn't bought until it is bought.

The poster needs another suggestion, if being aggressive is not the answer.

I know they still have an opportunity to back out if they don't like it, but losing their due diligence money (I'm assuming it goes under contract, because if not another buyer can come along and beat the offer by simply offering faster contract terms). I'm sure it happens, but I bet not many happy homeowners are born from that strategy.

The alternative is to move to the area and rent first. A home is a major purchase and should not be so lightly regarded. Getting aggressive and rushing just leads to a long list of future regrets.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota20 View Post
I know they still have an opportunity to back out if they don't like it, but losing their due diligence money (I'm assuming it goes under contract, because if not another buyer can come along and beat the offer by simply offering faster contract terms). I'm sure it happens, but I bet not many happy homeowners are born from that strategy.

The alternative is to move to the area and rent first. A home is a major purchase and should not be so lightly regarded. Getting aggressive and rushing just leads to a long list of future regrets.
Getting aggressive and rushing often leads to success and future contentment.
I have had owners go to contract, and even close, without seeing. It takes a certain philosophical bent to succeed and is not for everyone, for sure.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:08 PM

283 posts, read 211,006 times
I can't say I've ever bought one sight unseen but I did buy the one here last summer without my wife seeing it, except via Facetime. I was already here working and my wife was wrapping up things on our last house. After two weekends of what you describe, everything we liked on-line already being under contract by the weekend, we bought the first thing that kinda fit. We have done this enough where I generally know what will work. I think inventory is even worse now than when we bought last July.

Maybe my circle is more transient than most, but I think the concept of waiting to buy the perfect home for you, because you are going to be there for 20+ years is just not as common anymore. Do a lot of people really view a house purchase as a lifetime purchase anymore, particular in a transplant area such as this?

Now that we've been here a year, we'd probably sell the house and move a bit closer to where we ended up with church, and private school, but there is so little on the market, I am much more concerned about finding something to buy verses selling what we have.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
I can't say I've ever bought one sight unseen but I did buy the one here last summer without my wife seeing it, except via Facetime. I was already here working and my wife was wrapping up things on our last house. After two weekends of what you describe, everything we liked on-line already being under contract by the weekend, we bought the first thing that kinda fit. We have done this enough where I generally know what will work. I think inventory is even worse now than when we bought last July.

Maybe my circle is more transient than most, but I think the concept of waiting to buy the perfect home for you, because you are going to be there for 20+ years is just not as common anymore. Do a lot of people really view a house purchase as a lifetime purchase anymore, particular in a transplant area such as this?

Now that we've been here a year, we'd probably sell the house and move a bit closer to where we ended up with church, and private school, but there is so little on the market, I am much more concerned about finding something to buy verses selling what we have.
Yes, inventory and competition are increased over last year.
You are wise to not over-invest emotionally in a purchase that you predict will not be long term.
Skip the deal-breakers, like power lines, steep driveways, functional obsolescence, backing to busy streets, and you will find something.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:27 PM

572 posts, read 579,642 times
Houses are not selling fast in my neighbourhood in N Raleigh. I'd say average time on the market is 6months or more. One was on for a year or more but sold recently.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:31 PM

15,798 posts, read 24,118,795 times
I know a couple people who bought here either sight-unseen or only one half of the couple saw it. If you are re-locating here, chances are you have narrowed down your search to a general area. In that case, there aren't many differences between houses to make it an agonizing decision. We were pretty much settled on a couple of different subdivisions, and the houses in those subdivisions weren't dramatically different from one another. As Mike said take out the absolute "no-gos" and it can work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or