Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,494 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at building a new house/buying a newly constructed home on at least 1-2 acres of land for under $500k. We're looking in the North Raleigh and Cary/Apex areas (I work in downtown Raleigh, she works in Cary and Durham, so trying to find good commutes limits our options somewhat). With the 540 extension route still undetermined, we're not really looking at South Raleigh or Garner at this point in time.
So, the question is, what builders have neighborhoods going up that would fit within our requirements? We're watching on Redfin.com, but haven't found anything there that sparks our interest so far. It seems that most of the new construction lots out there are either super small, or super expensive...
(If there are any builders that see this, feel free to send me a message to discuss!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 12:06 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acefrostie View Post
My wife and I are looking at building a new house/buying a newly constructed home on at least 1-2 acres of land for under $500k.
The only way you are going to find 1-2 acres for a new build is in an area where they are forced to use septic tanks rather than public sewers. I had seen some in the Franklin County area of Wake Forest. You might also try Granville County. Here are some suggestions such at The Preserve at Smith Creek, Brassfield, Barham Woods, etc:

Wooded Lots, 1+ acre lots Wake Forest, Youngsville, Franklinton

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-10-2015 at 12:15 PM..

Old 06-10-2015, 12:22 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
Quote:
- a newly constructed home
- at least 1-2 acres of land
- under $500k.
- North Raleigh and Cary/Apex areas
You will have to relax these criteria (or find a way to time-travel back ~20 years! )

Old 06-10-2015, 12:40 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Parts of northwest Raleigh are in the Falls Lake watershed. As mentioned above, this area is generally zoned for 1 or 2 acre lots with individual septic or private sewer. Cary via 540/40 and Durham via 98/70/147 would be fairly easy. Downtown Raleigh a bit tougher but OK.
Part of this area is in Wake county and part is in Durham county (both can have a "Raleigh" address). General opinion for this area is that the Durham county homes are somewhat less expensive with the Wake county homes having better schools . Zip codes in and around 27613, roughly bordered by I540/NC98/NC50/NC70. I've seen a couple of recent sales of new/recently built homes in the 3200-3500 sq ft / $500K / 1+ acre lot range but availability is not high.
Parts of the area is subject to various amounts of aircraft noise so check that too.

Frank

Old 06-10-2015, 01:38 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
2 acres holds 4 to 6 $500K homes in those areas. Sorry.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:11 PM

703 posts, read 779,509 times
A year and a half ago, we could not find anything in the newer developments in Cary that were more than 1/2 acre, let alone 1-2 acres. I believe the same probably holds true in Apex.

There are 1 acre lots in several N. Raleigh (above I540) developments, but homes are typically north of $700K. I do know of one subdivision that still has a several 1-acre lots available, but the lots alone are going for $160K. Yes, these developments do have septic. I'm not sure why that was brought up or necessarily material to the OP's question.

The only way you might be able to get what you're looking for is to look for a lot which is not part of a subdivision and then build something to your specifications. I do think the corridor that stretches from the Brier Creek area up Carpenter Pond, and then Old Creedmoor is the last remaining stretch of undeveloped land that might still accommodate your needs. Some of it ducks out of Wake and into Durham County for a stretch. But it's pretty accessible to most of what you're looking for.

Edit:: Just found something that might be of interest... http://www.savvyhomes.com/community/beau-pre . It's quite a bit out there though - north of Rte 98.

Last edited by Thr3stripe; 06-10-2015 at 03:28 PM..

Old 06-10-2015, 03:37 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
Edit:: Just found something that might be of interest... Beau Pré | SAVVY Homes . It's quite a bit out there though - north of Rte 98.
Interesting suggestion. It is part of Wake County, just south of the Granville County line.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:51 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
My wife and I are looking at building a new house/buying a newly constructed home on at least 1-2 acres of land for under $500k. We're looking in the North Raleigh and Cary/Apex areas (I work in downtown Raleigh, she works in Cary and Durham, so trying to find good commutes limits our options somewhat). With the 540 extension route still undetermined, we're not really looking at South Raleigh or Garner at this point in time.
So, the question is, what builders have neighborhoods going up that would fit within our requirements? We're watching on Redfin.com, but haven't found anything there that sparks our interest so far. It seems that most of the new construction lots out there are either super small, or super expensive...
(If there are any builders that see this, feel free to send me a message to discuss!)
As has been repeatedly pointed out, you have a problem. Large lots and new construction in prime areas are very expensive.

I would suggest you not rule out S Raleigh/Swift Creek/Lake Wheeler/etc. I would just be careful regarding location, and stay north of the original proposed corridor for 540. As nutty as the delay and the distractions have been, it makes little or no sense to put 540 closer to 40 than the original corridor. It would be redundant and poorly utilized.
I would risk 540 SE Extension before I would live on the Granville County line.
Think about RDU Airport traffic overhead when considering NW Wake or Western Wake, too.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:23 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I do think you can spend $500,000 in North Raleigh and get l/2 acre but it won't be brand new.

Plenty of really nice n'hoods like Ethan's Glen, Stonegate, Stonebridge, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary